PDA

View Full Version : Pats for sale?

nivek_wahs
04-16-2007, 02:41 AM
Quoted from Roddy's blog from Saturday April 14, 2007 (www.rodpedersen.com)...

Of course the rumour rippling through the Brandt Centre last night is that the Parkers are poised to sell the team. Don't buy it. Although I never say 'never', I think Brent is still in the process he can build a winner from the ashes of that 12-win season a few years ago. Although the club's had two strong regular seasons since, the post-season success has been non-existent and that's what Russ, Brent, Curtis and Terry strive for the most.

And in my personal opinion, the ONLY person Brent would consider selling the team to, when and if it happens, is Mike Sillinger who currently has two years left on a contract with the New York Islanders which pays him $2,000,000 annually. Silly, I'm told, wants to be hands-on and he can't run a team while he's still playing elsewhere, and why would he turn his back on that kind of dough on Long Island. And the last two seasons have been the best of his career.

So again, I've been wrong before but I refuse to believe the Pats will be sold anytime soon.

nivek_wahs
04-16-2007, 02:47 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=dc69f66f-2bc8-4abc-b4d5-6e6b67f338d4

Rumours persist about sale of Pats

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, April 16, 2007
The Regina Pats will be sold to a local group including two distinguished alumni -- Mike Sillinger and Jamie Heward.

So goes the rumour mill.

And now for the reality.

Eventually, Calgary-based owner Russ Parker will sell the WHL's Pats. An ideal ownership group would be led by Sillinger and Heward.

It all makes eminent good sense.

But the consummation of such a deal is not imminent, according to two people who should know -- Sillinger and Pats general manager Brent Parker (the owner's son). Both gentlemen derived amusement from the rampant rumours when asked about them Sunday.

"We've never, ever had a discussion,'' said Sillinger, a member of the NHL's New York Islanders. "It's pretty much joking about it, but we've never, ever had any discussions. That's why I kind of laugh every time I hear those rumours.

"It's probably because I'm a home-town boy and my wife's from there as well and everyone knows I'm coming to the end of my career. I don't even know if I could afford them. It's too expensive nowadays. Maybe back in (former Pats co-owner) Ted Knight's day. Holy cow. Those junior franchises are crazy now.

"There's no truth to that at all. I hear those all the time. People call me all the time and ask for jobs.''

Over to you, Brent ...

"You know, it's funny,'' said the Pats' GM of 12 years, whose team was eliminated from the playoffs by the Medicine Hat Tigers on Friday. "I heard that again right at the end of the game.

"There seems to be one gentleman over at Ipsco Place who wants to continue to perpetuate those rumours. I don't know why he'd want to do that, but it seems to start every year at this time and it floats around -- and then once I show up with my bald head in front of (the media) again every September, everyone realizes I'm back. I guess we'll have to wait until September, but I don't envision anything changing.''

Even so, the rumours are incessant.

"It's not just (the un-named Ipsco Place employee),'' Parker said. "There's other guys. I don't know why. Todd (Ripplinger, director of scouting) was driving back from Winnipeg on Friday and he was getting phone calls and text messages from people saying, 'So, the Parkers are selling. This is your last game,' and so on.

"It happens every year, I guess. I don't know what it is.''

Parker shook his head.

"Like Russ said the other day after the game, you could somehow see it if somewhere along the line there had been some negotiations with someone or someone had phoned you and said 'Are you interested?' and it had gotten out that way,'' the younger Parker said, "but there's been nothing.''

Not even any casual overtures?

"Besides on the golf course?'' Parker said with a chuckle. "Mike and Jamie and I are good friends. I've gotten to know them very well over the years. Absolutely, they'd have an interest if it ever came to that, but it's nothing more than them having an interest in having a junior team, and obviously this would be the one they'd want.

"They're both Regina guys who have strong ties to the community. But it was nothing more than, 'If you ever decide to do anything, make sure you let us know and we'll talk.' That's been the extent of it, other than the jokes that go along with it, like, 'Closest to the pin for the hockey team,' but those are usually after a couple of Molson products. There's nothing more to it than the 'nothing more' there's been every other year.''

Although Sillinger and Heward would be logical and thoroughly credible owners, they have other priorities.

Despite being 35, Sillinger is playing his best hockey as an NHLer. He has two full years remaining on his contract with the Islanders. Heward, 36, also aspires to remain in the NHL, having spent the 2006-07 season with the Washington Capitals and Los Angeles Kings.

Parker, meanwhile, has assembled a talented young Pats team which will only improve. Colten Teubert and Jordan Eberle, both 16, are future WHL superstars. The Parkers -- credible owners in their own right -- have every reason to stick around and enjoy the peak junior years of Teubert, Eberle, et al.

So why sell now? Everything makes sense -- except for the timing.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
04-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Interesting...it happens every year. Honestly, would Mike Sillinger even be able to afford to buy the Pats? (I think he said that in the article!) How much is a WHL team worth these days? Maybe as part of an owners group? I would expect the Parkers might sell the team in the next few years, but not right now. And I think they care enough about the team and the city to be pretty selective about who they sell to.

nivek_wahs
04-17-2007, 02:17 AM
Roddy's blog... rodpedersen.com

The Pats AREN'T for sale! There's a nice little ditty in the Leader Post this morning chronicling what I told you Saturday (or was it Sunday?) Despite rumours that the Pats have actually been sold already to Mike Sillinger of the NY Islanders, the fact is they remain property of the Parker family. "You know it's funny," Brent Parker told us Sunday, "There seems to be one gentleman over at Ipsco Place who wants to continue to perpetuate those rumours. I don't know why he'd want to do that. But it seems to start every year at this time and it floats around -- and then once I show up with my bald head in front of you guys again every September, everyone realizes I'm back. I guess we'll have to wait until September, but I don't envision changing anything."
You want the inside scoop? I called Brent late yesterday afternoon, and his wife separately, and asked about this stuff because some people are adamant a deal has been done. Karen assured me it hasn't and so too did Brent later. I said, 'please don't have me deny this stuff then announce something later in the week and have me caught with my pants down!' Brent said again, they are speaking with NO ONE and there is no deal. He laughed though, and said if someone calls this week and offers 10-mil, then it's been nice working with me and they're outta here.