PDA

View Full Version : Scharff still has regrets

nivek_wahs
04-16-2007, 03:14 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=d3b73aaa-3d92-468d-a964-e610b113a7ab

Scharff still has regrets
Leaving team was hardest thing he's had to do

Steve Ewen, The Province
Published: Monday, April 16, 2007

The Vancouver Giants had a special guest reappearance at their game Friday.

Fan favourite Chad Scharff showed up at the Pacific Coliseum for the first time since he was cut by the club Oct. 10 as part of its paring down to three 20-year-old players.

The Airdrie, Alta., native signed on with the team as a scout in March.

"You guys know that when I left the team as a player it was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to go through," said Scharff, who is currently applying for police force jobs in B.C. and Alberta. "Just to be back in the organization ... I didn't want to be with anyone else.

"It was hard to leave the game. I think that was the hardest part. I still did want to play. I don't think I had the drive to play anywhere else. I was true to the crest that's on the Vancouver jersey." The expansion Chilliwack Bruins used the overage waiver draft to claim the rights of Scharff, who played both wing and defence in his three-plus seasons with the Giants.

He turned them down. He did play a handful of games in a junior B league in Alberta, but soon walked away from that too.

Scharff says he didn't keep a close watch on the Giants during the regular season, explaining that it was too hard on him, but he did talk to a few former teammates from time to time.

And he was miffed when goaltender Dustin Slade, who beat him out for one of the overage spots, walked away from the club Nov. 20 to try to land a minor pro job.

Slade never got a deal and failed to reconcile with the Giants, ending his eligibility playing for a junior A league in Halifax.

"I guess I can say karma bites you in the butt," said Scharff.

"It was obviously a difficult decision. They were banking on him and he's a great goalie. It was tough for me to swallow, from the way I was with the organization.

"It was tough to lose my position to a guy who came here for one year and then bolted." The Giants did inquire about the Bruins dealing back Scharff's rights, but the trade talk never got very far.

Instead, Vancouver shipped longstanding veteran Kyle Lamb to the Lethbridge Hurricanes, and brought in two overagers with NHL ties in centre Wacey Rabbit (drafted 154th overall by the Boston Bruins in 2005) and defenceman A.J. Thelen (drafted 12th overall by the Minnesota Wild in 2004).

steve.ewen@gmail.com

© The Vancouver Province 2007

Carebear
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Awwwww..

We still love you Scharff!!!

old_time_hockey
04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
That is the one thing that makes my blood boil over this whole Slade thing.

He got some bad advise and left the team in a not so nice way and screwed his career. That is his choice.

But to keep him we had to cut Chad. What a waste of talent and a good leader that we could really use for the playoffs and Memorial Cup.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-16-2007, 07:10 PM
That is the one thing that makes my blood boil over this whole Slade thing.

He got some bad advise and left the team in a not so nice way and screwed his career. That is his choice.

But to keep him we had to cut Chad. What a waste of talent and a good leader that we could really use for the playoffs and Memorial Cup.

Agreed. Slade's act cost two good guys their jobs here, Scharff and Lamb. Sad for everyone involved. And Slade got what he deserved.

dondo
04-17-2007, 10:28 AM
We would have loved to still have you around Chad -- I hope you can get past this and feel comfortable coming to the rink and cheering on the boys, as I am sure you are still an invisible part of the dressing room vibe.

old_time_hockey
04-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Come to think of it, I think I saw him on Friday. I was standing by the West doors in a quiet corner munching on a gut bomb when I saw person in a suit I didn't know, but looked like a player. Walking on the walk way above that popcorn stand.

dondo
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah according to the article he was there for the first time since he left the team, which is why I said what I said above. Chad just didn't feel comfortable being anything but a Giant according to the story, and it was very painful to leave the team for him.

old_time_hockey
04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I wonder if we will see any of the Giants Alumni that are playing at UBC take a break from their studies before finals to come on out as well

Biscuit
04-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Agreed. Slade's act cost two good guys their jobs here, Scharff and Lamb. Sad for everyone involved. And Slade got what he deserved.

Add Tommy T's name to the list of guys who lost their job because of this.

old_time_hockey
04-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Add Tommy T's name to the list of guys who lost their job because of this.

Actually I think Tommy came out on the winning end of this.

He would still be living in the shadow of Sexsmith since it was clear that he was going to be the starter after Slade's time was done here. Just Slade shortened that time on himself and Sexy got the call sooner. Getting moved to the Pats was a good thing for him.

I am glad that Neufeld is backing up Sexsmith. A vet with WHL playoff experience. I mean look what happened game one against the Bruins. Neufeld had to come in, was calm and cool.

GF71
04-19-2007, 09:31 PM
I wonder if we will see any of the Giants Alumni that are playing at UBC take a break from their studies before finals to come on out as well

Actually quite a few of the old boys have been around...Chad, Lamb, Rutherford, Bartley, etc.

TheBrass
04-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Come to think of it, I think I saw him on Friday. I was standing by the West doors in a quiet corner munching on a gut bomb when I saw person in a suit I didn't know, but looked like a player. Walking on the walk way above that popcorn stand.

We saw him too, but not in a suit, nice button down shirt and jeans. Chad looked really good, I'll hope he'll be around for the next few rounds to cheer the boys on.