PDA

View Full Version : Durand earns hero's mantle

nivek_wahs
04-16-2007, 03:31 AM
PG Citizen (http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51292&Itemid=160)

Durand earns hero's mantle

JASON PETERS
Citizen staff

(Sports) Sunday, 15 April 2007, 23:09 PST

EVERETT - During his three years with the Seattle Thunderbirds, Chris Durand established himself as a pain in the hindquarters of the Everett Silvertips.

Durand, now a member of the Prince George Cougars, is up to his old tricks in this second-round playoff series against Everett. On Saturday night at the Everett Events Center, he was responsible for the tying goal and the winning goal, third-period markers that have the Silvertips on the edge of playoff extinction.

“We played them 10 or 11 times when I was in Seattle so I’m used to the guys on the bench and I’m used to playing in this building, this atmosphere,” said the 20-year-old forward, traded to the Cats this season in a package that also brought Chad Hohmann to town. “I don’t know, there’s just something about it. It’s always exciting, it’s always loud and it’s easy to get up for games.”

Durand’s Saturday goals were his first two of the playoffs. In the 4-3 Prince George win, he also picked up an assist and now has 11 points in nine games.

Prince George coach Drew Schoneck was happy to see Durand rewarded with the two huge goals, ones that may go down as being among the most important in Cougars’ history.

“He’s had some opportunities, and good things happen to guys who are working hard,” Schoneck said. “The first goal was kind of a lucky one off the leg of (Everett goaltender Leland) Irving but the second one was a heck of a shot on the power play.”

“We got Chris at basically a deadline deal in December and not only did we think he could put points up, we wanted to make sure we had a guy who was responsible defensively for games like this and in the playoffs.”

Durand, alongside Devin Setoguchi and Jared Walker, has been part of the Cougars’ top line during this playoff run. Durand, Setoguchi and Walker have proven to be a deadly combination. In total, they accounted for six points Saturday in Everett and will look to inflict more damage in Game 6 tonight at CN Centre.

“We’re all older guys and we know we’re depended on for offence,” said Durand, a 2005 NHL draft pick of the Colorado Avalanche. “We’ve got a great guy with Seto on the wing and Walker is certainly pulling his weight with a great playoffs. I just try and contribute and help out as much as I can. It certainly helps when all three of us are going.”