PDA

View Full Version : Keetley looks up to Vernon

nivek_wahs
04-18-2007, 04:07 AM
http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5363.php

Keetley looks up to Vernon

By COLLIN GALLANT, Medicine Hat News
Apr 18, 2007, 17:00

Matt Keetley was born and bred to be a Calgary Flames fan, so it should be no surprise that the lucky charm hanging in the Medicine Hat Tigers goaltenders’ stall is a small banner commemorating Mike Vernon’s jersey retirement.
It’s the story behind it that’s funny.
“It’s kind of a joke,” said Keetley, a Flames draft pick, who received the five-inch replica of the banner honouring Vernon’s jersey being hoisted up to the rafters last February from Tiger teammates Derek Dorsett and Kris Russell.
“They went up for the game,” said Keetley. “I’ve always been a huge Flames fan and I’ve known about Vernon and I like him. But they put ‘Keetley’ on it and threw it in my stall.
“It’s a pretty funny joke. But I think it brings me good luck so I leave it there.”
The Medicine Hat native who’ll ply his trade under Vernon’s No. 30 retired jersey at the Pengrowth Saddledome when his Tigers take on the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL’s Eastern Conference final.
The series open in the Gas City with games Friday and Saturday night, before it switches venues to Calgary for Games 3 and 4.
There’s no disrespect intended says Keetley, 20. He was only weeks old when Vernon battled Patrick Roy in the 1986 Stanley Cup Final, and wasn’t yet in pre-school when Vernon helped the Flames claim the 1989 Stanley Cup.
As a Flames draft pick whose been to two NHL training camps and played a pre-season American Hockey League for the big club, Keetley already has a foot in the door to earning a professional contract offer from the big club, but every goalie’s resume can use a little more, ahem, padding.
Gord Baldwin, who the Flames picked in the third round of the 2005 entry draft, is awaiting the final paperwork to process on a contract offer from the Flames. That process will likely come following the NHL post-season, and the 6-foot-5 Baldwin doesn’t want to jinx the process by talking about it.
While the Hitmen are owned and operated by the Flames, hockey-wise the teams are essentially separate entities. Plus, the Flames would hardly hold a grudge should Keetley stand on his head or Baldwin standup the talented Hitmen forwards.
“We played a lot of close games, and they play us really tough,” said Baldwin, who along with Keetley can expect at least a media spotlight, plus fan attention, when the series switches back to the Saddledome.
“You can’t really think about it. I know, especially for me and Gord, people are always going to be watching. We just have to play our game,” said Keetley.
“It’s not so much the media, but you want to impress the organization.”
That includes Flames general manager Darryl Sutter, who popped in to watch several first round games when his brother Brent’s Red Deer Rebels took the Tigers to seven games.
In that series, Keetley gave up six goals on three different occasions, but also posted three shutouts in eliminating the Rebels and won the CHL goaltender of the week award.
Both Keetley and Baldwin have played numerous junior games at the Dome during their WHL careers and expect big crowds to ramp up the playoff atmosphere.
“The crowd maybe makes a bit of difference,” said Baldwin
“They might feed off that, but we do to. We’ve learned to play on the road.”
The Hitmen posted a 22-11-2-1 record at home this years, while the Tigers posted a near identical road record of 23-12-1-0.
The Tigers posted a 3-1 record against the Hitmen at The Arena this season, and a 2-2 record at the Saddledome.
“It’s an NHL experience (playing in Calgary),” said Keetley. “Every game you play there seems to be a good game. Third round of the playoffs should add to that.”

© Copyright by Medicine Hat News.com