PDA

View Full Version : Dean's 07/08 Contract

Offsider
04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Rumor has it that the Board offered Dean a one year contract he refused it, wanting another 3 year deal. Most fans I’ve talked to are a little hesitance to give him another long term deal. But when you talk to them about giving Dean another 3 year deal with performance conditions that would keep him in the contract if reached or void it if not .Most say they would be OK with that. Some of the conditions I’ve heard.

ATTENDACE NUMBERS

REGULAR SEASON FINISH SPOT

PLAYOFF FINISH SPOT

PROFIT/LOSS

Anyone have any other suggested that mite make Dean, the Board and the Fans all happy

dubfan
04-18-2007, 01:08 PM
If you are going to re sign Dean or any GM or coach you have to give at least two years. The board although has to think of the bottom line who else could have done a better job and who would be available to take over. I think we should be lucky that Dean wants to stay and finish what he has started. Swift could look for someone else but who would be available. Stability in the organization is important especially when there has been two years of improvement after a dismantling of a disaster. The future even looks better with some very strong 16 and 17 year old roster players and a deep 50 man roster.

As far as fan attendence goes the end of the year and the playoffs were signs of what can be done. The new addidtion will add quality seats with better views and improved amenitities for the fans. How about an new scoreboard with video, sell the advertising rights to the video scoreboard or increase your already advertising streams with the added video component. The win/ win is added pleasure for the fans, your main revenue stream, and a way to attract more advertising $$.

The team management needs to have the resources to take the teams revenue and attendance to the next level. Spend some money to make money and dont forget the players facilities, dressing and training rooms, you have to be on an even level with the other teams, that will also help with the on ice product and assist with player recruitment and scouting.

Just my opinion, lots to look forward to, but dont let a good thing pass looking or hoping for something you might think would be better.

ointhecreek
04-18-2007, 05:11 PM
If you are going to re sign Dean or any GM or coach you have to give at least two years. The board although has to think of the bottom line who else could have done a better job and who would be available to take over. I think we should be lucky that Dean wants to stay and finish what he has started. Swift could look for someone else but who would be available. Stability in the organization is important especially when there has been two years of improvement after a dismantling of a disaster. The future even looks better with some very strong 16 and 17 year old roster players and a deep 50 man roster.
I agree, a 2 year deal is pretty much minimum you can offer. Like Offsider says, offer him a 3 with incentives and conditions. I have confidence he can reach anything he sets out to do. The future looks bright, let's not screw it up again.

By the way, I did renew my season ticket this afternoon. Waiting for the seating plan for the east end to decide whether to bump up to platinum. Pederson won't have a reason to b*tch next year, I hear they're building new press boxes.

Big Ern
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh wow, can you renew season tix already?? Don't anyone dare take E 3 14! That's my seat! HAHAHA! I'll buy my season ticket shortly. As far as taking a new seat, I couldn't. I really like this seat, and like to see what happens on the bench.

Yes, IMO they should resign Deano. Abseloutely! LOL

Flathead
04-18-2007, 06:45 PM
The board although has to think of the bottom line who else could have done a better job and who would be available to take over. I think we should be lucky that Dean wants to stay and finish what he has started. Swift could look for someone else but who would be available.

I wouldn't be against signing Dean to a two or three year contract with conditions. Who would be able to take over? I would think that Hunchak would be very capable. I know I hate not being able to finish something I started and Dean should probally be given the chance to see if he can finish what he started. Although I've been critical towards Dean sometimes, I really loved what I saw in the playoffs, if that effort can be brought to a team that will be a year older, next year looks very promising.

Son of a Preacher Man
04-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I may get attacked for this but i think the board made the right decision if this is fact. Alot of fans have threatened to cancell season tickets if he is signed to long. This is Deans team now and if he has such confidence in its future next year then maybe he should accept it. If we have a great year then sign him longer next season. So what if we sign him for three years and the teamslides instead of getting better. We can't afford to pay out a coach and pay another to replace him.
But what about the rest. From what i heard everyones contract is up including Hunchaks and Mobergs. How long do we sign these guys for three years also? Can we eliminate a position in upper management to save money? Why not make Hunchak assistant coach and assistant g.m. Just a thought but alot of teams run the club with two higher ups not three.

Toswammi
04-18-2007, 07:54 PM
My 2 thoughts.

If either of these happened i would be ok with it. The first is the board signs Dean to a 2 yr contract with a club option for a 3rd.
The other is Dean signs as GM and Dave takes over the team.

d-man
04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Two years plus an option

Dean has always said its a five year plan so here's the commitment, go and carry it out, fail and your gone.

Incentives tied to attendance is garbage. Its not just Dean's job to put butts in the seats plus this market is so fickle that people won't come to a game because their favorite socks are dirty. Incentives such as revenue and profit absolutely but you better include that in Elden's contract too. How about a bonus for each round in the playoffs?

Offsider
04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Dean is the GM or CEO so it is his job to put people in the seats or find the people that can.He is not just the coach

ointhecreek
04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
If they do it my way they would get rid of moberg and put the money towards other things. He's a waste of space and money.

ointhecreek
04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Oh wow, can you renew season tix already?? Don't anyone dare take E 3 14! That's my seat! HAHAHA! I'll buy my season ticket shortly. As far as taking a new seat, I couldn't. I really like this seat, and like to see what happens on the bench.

Yes, IMO they should resign Deano. Abseloutely! LOL
Yes, you can renew your tickets if you like but you have till June 1 to at least put a $50.00 deposit.

Believer
04-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Besides a mem cup run, what is going to put butts in seats? any ideas? and no one needs to say "lower ticket prices"! C'mon everyone with an opinion, let's here what they need to do, besides win win win, to put butts in the seats!

It is a tricky situation the board is in. This is Dean's team that he is building. It is a shame to see him gone before he gets to reap what he has sown. On the other hand, Hunchak waiting in the wings! Renew Dean and does Hunch exit stage left??

It is going to be an interesting next couple of months !

Big Ern
04-19-2007, 06:23 PM
It is going to be an interesting next couple of months !

I agree with you there. I want to see what's going to happen. I'm very excited to see it! I do hope though, that Dean gets resigned. It would only be fair. Dean is a great guy. I think he can get the job done.

I think we will have a great hockey club this coming season. Levi said to me the other day, "it's like we have unfinished business." I liked that quote. It fits the situation well, and it gives me a really good feeling for next season. If that doesn't do it, I look up and down our line-up. Especially defense. We will have R.J., Doyle, Postma, Molle, Claffey...WOW! They all have amazing potential. Up front, we'll have Levi, Smith, Bortis, Weise, (and Weise CAN GET IT DONE...I'm sure he will) Wudrick, Dowling, Steiler,...the list goes on. Look up and down the bench, and you'll see. I like our chances.

As far as "getting butts in the seats" is concerned, there's only one remedy. IT'S BETTER TO SEE A LOSS ONCE IN A WHILE, THAN NO GAME AT ALL!!! Our fan base has to realize that, and start buying tickets. I would put an entire page in the two local newspapers when the season ticket push begins, focusing on that one subject. Just get out there, support your team, and be greatful you have that level of hockey played here. Not only that, but the game is a great night out. Nowhere have I made as many friends and met as many new people, as I have at Bronco games. It's awesome. You get to visit, and you get to see some great hockey. Grab a COKE for good measure...and a burger. Just support your hockey club.

dynamitekid
04-19-2007, 06:32 PM
This just might spell the end to our beloveded francise. Other than the few Dean lovers on this site, I challenge you to find five fans that want this man back. My entire section wants him gone. But what does that matter, they are just paying his salary with their hard earned cash, why should they get a say.
If we keep this dud, all of our exciting young tallent will be ruined as this is already going on. Case in point, Postma. This kid looked unbelievable as a 15 year old. Fast forward a year and a half, he is not even playing defence. What a disgrace.
Here the city is spending millions on our rink to add seating, and the board of directors will drive fans away in droves by signing Mr. Can't Coach.
I have been a Bronco fan since the days of Tiger, Trottier, and Brian Back. I do not want to see this team gone. But I am afraid we are at a critical time for this francise. I want to be able to take my grandchildren to watch the Broncos. But by then, if they sign this guy again it will be the SJHL Broncos!!!

ointhecreek
04-19-2007, 09:13 PM
This just might spell the end to our beloveded francise. Other than the few Dean lovers on this site, I challenge you to find five fans that want this man back. My entire section wants him gone. But what does that matter, they are just paying his salary with their hard earned cash, why should they get a say.
If we keep this dud, all of our exciting young tallent will be ruined as this is already going on. Case in point, Postma. This kid looked unbelievable as a 15 year old. Fast forward a year and a half, he is not even playing defence. What a disgrace.
Here the city is spending millions on our rink to add seating, and the board of directors will drive fans away in droves by signing Mr. Can't Coach.
I have been a Bronco fan since the days of Tiger, Trottier, and Brian Back. I do not want to see this team gone. But I am afraid we are at a critical time for this francise. I want to be able to take my grandchildren to watch the Broncos. But by then, if they sign this guy again it will be the SJHL Broncos!!!
Give me a break! You obviously aren't much of a fan in my book. There are 5 fans in this thread alone that will support the team with Dean at the head. Because we are fans of the TEAM no matter who is there. So much for your challenge. Most people I talked to feel the same way, give Dean another 2 years to finish what he started. If you and your buddys can't see how much this team improved over the old regime then you don't know much about the Broncos and gives me real doubts that you have been a fan as long as you say. Just go back and read Big Erns post so I don't have to repeat the truth he speaks and see what a real fan should be like.

dynamitekid
04-19-2007, 11:22 PM
It's pretty odvious O that you mis quoted me! If you read my post again it says other than a few fans on this site. The only fans that you must talk to are on this site. So lets let him finish what he started, destroying the team. Last year I could not even give tickets away. If you call what he has done improvement I would hate to see what flip side would be. Oh just wait two years you will see it.
As far as supporting the team, my butt has been in the seats since the late sixty's. It is not my butt you need to worry about.

sectionL
04-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Im not sure where you sit dynamite kid, but in my section its the same thing, everybody wants dean gone, there not sure if they will renew if they resign dean. And I can fully see why, its garbage that their are those fans that say that just because the fans dont want dean back that their not true fans, they are paying to see good hockey and coaching, we should not have to put up with the effort dean displays. When I here time and time again from people that are closely knit with the club that he is a joke, maybe some of the fans should take off their rose colored glasses and see whats really going on.

SectionD
04-24-2007, 08:26 PM
People seem to have short memories.

"The previous regime" played two line hockey because they knew the Swift Current fans couldnt handle watching a losing season and that the team need gate revenue to stay afloat. The theory seemed to be, get to the playoffs, win home games anything else is a bonus.

Finally, the fans are fed up with two line hockey and not going deep in the playoffs. The board switches to Dean and he plays 3 to 4 lines each and everynight. His team loses too many games and the fans get mad. He only has a couple of kids he has drafted playing regular shifts and he is already done as far as some are concerned.

How many of our forwards do you legitimatley think will lead the league in scoring this next year? In my opinion none. They are great kids, but realistically our #1 and #2 lines would have trouble breaking the #2 line on any top team in the league. Thats not Deans fault, at this age he cant teach the kid to find the net and the skilled players he has drafted are too young to be relied on for serious offense yet.

People talk about Dean having no coaching skills. Have you sat in many team meetings? Have you reviewed the player developement system he is using? Do you know what direction he is giving each player after each game and practice. I honestly do not know the answers to these questions but unless you CAN answer them, shut up, you dont know what your talking about. If you can answer them I would love to hear an educated opionion on Deans coaching ability and where you see this team going.

Big Ern
04-24-2007, 10:01 PM
People seem to have short memories.

"The previous regime" played two line hockey because they knew the Swift Current fans couldnt handle watching a losing season and that the team need gate revenue to stay afloat. The theory seemed to be, get to the playoffs, win home games anything else is a bonus.

Finally, the fans are fed up with two line hockey and not going deep in the playoffs. The board switches to Dean and he plays 3 to 4 lines each and everynight. His team loses too many games and the fans get mad. He only has a couple of kids he has drafted playing regular shifts and he is already done as far as some are concerned.

How many of our forwards do you legitimatley think will lead the league in scoring this next year? In my opinion none. They are great kids, but realistically our #1 and #2 lines would have trouble breaking the #2 line on any top team in the league. Thats not Deans fault, at this age he cant teach the kid to find the net and the skilled players he has drafted are too young to be relied on for serious offense yet.

People talk about Dean having no coaching skills. Have you sat in many team meetings? Have you reviewed the player developement system he is using? Do you know what direction he is giving each player after each game and practice. I honestly do not know the answers to these questions but unless you CAN answer them, shut up, you dont know what your talking about. If you can answer them I would love to hear an educated opionion on Deans coaching ability and where you see this team going.

Wow, great post. I don't think it could be said better than you said it.

Any replies yet?

I'm very close with a few players...and not just one.... a handful. I think this group of guys is close-knit, and well disciplined. Dean talks to the guys not only about hockey, but life in general. That's never a bad thing. It goes to show he is close to the guys. He's been through all of it. He played in the dub, and the NHL. There's always and will always be an odd ball or two among the players, but that's hockey. IMHO, he's doing great. They are great kids. And I'm confident they can and will get the job done. Win or lose, if I'm around here, I'm looking forward to a great season of hockey. GO BRONCS GO!!

Scout
04-25-2007, 06:40 AM
What do you mean, if your still around here? You planning on moving?

Scout