PDA

View Full Version : Series Preview: Giants vs. Cougars

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
The Giants did not skip a beat in the second round of the playoffs and did not seem to be slowed down by the Seattle Thunderbirds one bit.* They dominated on the boards, won the races to loose pucks, and rarely gave up the lead all series.
The Cougars have been defying my predictions all playoffs and I will stand corrected as they are looking very good thus far.* After soundly beating the Blazers and beating Everett in six the Cougars are ready for the challenge that awaits them.

Full Story (http://www.bcsportsbeat.ca)

The Giants did not skip a beat in the second round of the playoffs and did not seem to be slowed down by the Seattle Thunderbirds one bit.* They dominated on the boards, won the races to loose pucks, and rarely gave up the lead all series.
The Cougars have been defying my predictions all playoffs and I will stand corrected as they are looking very good thus far.* After soundly beating the Blazers and beating Everett in six the Cougars are ready for the challenge that awaits them.
During the regular season the Giants won the season series 7-1 and outscored the Cougars 33-13, shutting them out twice.
GOALTENDING
Vancouver’s Tyson Sexsmith has put on a goaltending clinic during the playoffs so far.* Leading all WHL goaltenders with a 1.83 goals against average, and an impressive .908 save percentage.* Granted he has only faced 195 shots against, he is still a solid 7-1-1 this post season, and has a shutout to his name.
Prince George has leaned on Real Cyr as the go-to guy this post season.* He has stepped up posting a goals against average of 2.58 and a .919 save percentage.* While he has not posted a shutout, nor been a dominant force so far it should be noted he has not lost a game in regulation so far this post season.
Advantage: Vancouver

OFFENSE
Kenndal McArdle has continued to lead the Vancouver Giants offense in points, with 13 (6-7), and has been an example for hockey players everywhere.* Spencer Machacek has kept up his pace with 11 points (7-4) so far.* Michael Repik and Mario Bliznak have picked up their pace as well and allow the Giants to put two very scary lines on the ice.* Milan Lucic seems to be having a tough time finding open ice and that may be due to the attention he gathered through the regular season.
The Prince George Cougars line of Devin Setoguchi (10-8), Jared Walker (6-11) and Nick Drazenovic (9-7) are looking super scary this post season.* They rank 1,2 and 3 in league playoff scoring,* The Cougars are far from a one-line team also with Evan Fuller and Chris Durand putting up solid numbers as well.* This team will make you pay if you take a penalty no questions asked.
Advantage: Prince George

DEFENSE
Brendan Mikkelson continues to lead the Giants defensive core with 6 points (2-4).* Jonathan Blum has a solid 5 points (3-2) and a +12 rating while Brent Festerling is at +11.* Vancouver’s defensive core is solid in all aspects and has done a phenomenal job of keeping the few shots that get through coming from the outside.
Prince George is still being lead offensively only by Ty Wishart on the blue line with 9 points (3-6).* Most points are coming from their forwards, and the defensemen are focusing on keeping the puck out of their zone and playing defence.* This may be a bit of a weakness for the Cougars.
Advantage: Vancouver

PREDICTION:
Well, we're in for a solid series, definitely one to watch.* Vancouver has been excellent in keeping after the puck, winning battles along the boards and has excellent defense and depth at forward.* Prince George has found some solid offensive chemistry and can really hurt teams that take penalties.* Vancouver will need their defense to be able to bring the puck out of the zone and the entire team to stay out of the penalty box (attention J.D. Watt).
I think that home advantage and the goaltending match-up will be the sway in this series.
Vancouver in 7.

SERIES DATES:
Game #1 - Prince George @ Vancouver - Friday, April 20 (7:30 p.m.)
Game #2 - Prince George @ Vancouver - Saturday, April 21 (7:00 p.m.)
Game #3 - Vancouver @ Prince George - Tuesday, April 24 (7:00 p.m.)
Game #4 - Vancouver @ Prince George - Wednesday, April 25 (7:00 p.m.)
Game #5 - Prince George @ Vancouver - Friday, April 27 (7:30 p.m.) if necessary
Game #6 - Vancouver @ Prince George - Sunday, April 29 (6:00 p.m.) if necessary
Game #7 - Prince George @ Vancouver - Monday, April 30 (7:00 p.m.) if necessary

--written by Cam Martin

Sput
04-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Prince George has leaned on Real Cyr as the go-to guy this post season.* He has stepped up posting a goals against average of 2.58 and a .919 save percentage.* While he has not posted a shutout, nor been a dominant force so far it should be noted he has not lost a game in regulation so far this post season.

Ho wcan you say he hasn't been a dominate force so far? Most every game until games 5&6 the Cougs were soundly outshot, and Cyr was the brick wall in net that gae the offense their chances to score. Personally I think you missed the boat on this matchup of the goalies, but thats just MY opinion. Boogaard'd

scrunt
04-19-2007, 08:50 AM
I have to agree: I don't think the Giants' goaltending is as good as PG's. Sexsmith's "clinic" has also included classes in demonstrating what not to do.

I think the series will be decided by how well Vancouver's D holds PG's top offensive lines in check and whether Vancouver's committee scoring can put a few behind Cyr and/or Bowles.

Should be a great series!

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
04-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Ho wcan you say he hasn't been a dominate force so far? Most every game until games 5&6 the Cougs were soundly outshot, and Cyr was the brick wall in net that gae the offense their chances to score. Personally I think you missed the boat on this matchup of the goalies, but thats just MY opinion. Boogaard'd

I think Cam is referring to the Grant Fuhr syndrome in that Cyr makes just one more big save than the other goalie thus assuring his team the win. He isn't trying to de-value his performance at all.

dondo
04-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Giants vs. Prince George
Playoffs: Round Three - Western Finals

Giants vs Cougars: Western Final (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/April_20th_GiantsbkVersusbkCougars_115.html)

Its down to two BC Division teams in the Western Conference finals.

Vancouver Giants vs Prince George Cougars
Round Three: Game One
Friday, April 20th, 2007
Pacific Coliseum
7:30pm PDT

Radio: AM730
TV: none
Web: whltv.ca

06/07 Regular Season

Team - Wins - Losses - OTL - SOL
Giants: 45 - 17 - 3 - 7
Prince George: 33 - 31 - 3 – 5
Season series: Giants 7-1-0-0

06/07 Playoffs
Giants: 10 GPs - 8-2 (current streak 7-0-1-0)
Cougars: 10 GPs - 8-2 (current streak 4-0-1-0)

The Giants dominated the season series, going undefeated versus the Cougars at the Pacific Coliseum, but that’s not the Cats which have been playing lately. Since getting back Scott Bowles (after dropping him from their roster earlier in the season) the Cougars have found dimension and chemistry and have gone on a tear since mid-January. Prince George eliminated two good teams, one of which lead the WHL at various times this year and are not going to go down with out a fight.

SCORING
Devin Setogutchi leads all scorers in the playoffs with 18 points. In fact the Cougars boast the top three scorers in the playoffs right now. Setogutchi (18), Jared Walker (17), Nick Drazenovic (16). The Giants have depth scoring, but mainly get their victories by keeping the puck out of their net. The line of Kenndal McArdle, Spencer Machacek and Mario Bliznak have combined for 33 pts.
EDGE: Cougars

DEFENSE
The Giants have one of the deepest defensive cores in the entire WHL, and activate them frequently for scoring opportunities. Jonathon Blum had the highest +/- in the league with +37, closely followed by his line-mate Captain Brett Festerling with a +35. Franson however has been a disappointment, however Brendan Mikkelson, AJ Thelen, but mostly rookie Brent Regner have elevated their games. The Cougs have Ty Wishart a multi-dimensional defenseman, but really don’t have anyone else at his level.
DECIDED EDGE: Giants

GOALTENDING
Tyson Sexsmith continues to lead the league in GAA in the playoffs and although he tends not to face a lot of shots, he has elevated his game to playoff level making some great stops to keep his team in games. Real Cyr has a .919 SV % and leads the league for teams still in the playoffs. The Cougars do not rely on their goaltending to pull them through though as they are more interested in filling the other guys net and they have against the best of the West.
EDGE: Giants

SPECIAL TEAMS
The Cougars PP is rolling at .226% with 14 goals on the man-advantage in 62 kicks at the can. The Giants PP can only be described as anemic. The G-Men do not to know what to do when they have that extra man on the ice. They over-work and over-complicate their game and as such do not gain an advantage. The Giants PK is where they shine though, despite dropping a few early PP goals to Chilliwack in a couple of uncharacteristic games the Giants still have an .853% PK and are dangerous when killing penalties. The Cougar PK is in the high 70’s by comparison and could be their Achilles-heel should the Giants PP ever get on a serious roll.
SLIM EDGE: Cougars

INTANGIBLES
The Cougars have had most of the components all season, but have disappointed coming up short and not utilising their weapons to their fullest potential. The playoffs are a whole different matter though. The Cougars still have yet to be defeated in their own barn, which has made their fans – who have come back in droves – very happy after suffering a few seasons as bottom dwellers. The Cougars are on a roll right now matching the Giants current 8-1-1 record over the past ten games, eliminating Everett by getting pucks past Irving, and blasting the Tips 8-2 in game 6.

The Giants have one of the deepest teams in the league and boast one of the best blue-lines who held the opposing teams to just 143 goals against throughout the season, missing tying the leader in that category the Everett Silvertips by one goal. They are built for the playoffs oozing depth from all lines making the fourth line as dangerous as the top line on any given shift. They have also not had some of their top players playing at their peak as of yet and could have another gear to shift their game into.

Tyson Sexsmith leads the league and playoffs in goals against. The team plays a defense first game and everyone is on the same page, getting back to cover and rotating to the point when a defenseman pinches.

Don Hay is a very experienced head coach who gets the best out of his team. He won back-to-back Memorial Cups with the Kamloops Blazers in 1994 and 1995, and coached Canada to a gold medal at the World Juniors in 1995. The Giants host this years Memorial Cup and are hungry to earn the right to host as opposed to simply being there because they are the hosts.
SLIM EDGE: Giants

Game One Notes:
The Giants need to keep up their intensity while staying out the box. The Cougars are not a team you want to roll the dice against as they have one of the best PPs in the league right now. The Giants need to activate their D and get some of their higher-level players clicking. Wacey Rabbit, Tim Kraus and especially Milan Lucic need to up their games to playoff level and start filling the net. This will prove to be a hard fought tooth and nail game where the Giants will pitch their stifling defense against the high-flyers from up North. Cody Franson has to up his focus and intensity. Franson who went to the WJC playing for Canada has been a woeful disappointment since returning. The Giants need his shot from the point on the PP and will need to find some offense to match the Cougar’s.

ihlemic10
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Should be a good game, you guys have attracted the me and the infamous Woody to travel up to see that game. If anyone wants to say hi, we will be the group in the Tips jeseys.

Sput
04-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Should be a good game, you guys have attracted the me and the infamous Woody to travel up to see that game. If anyone wants to say hi, we will be the group in the Tips jeseys.

I thought you guys would have ordered your Cougar jerseys online and wore them to the games in Van. :D

old_time_hockey
04-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I thought you guys would have ordered your Cougar jerseys online and wore them to the games in Van. :D

Tips fans usually bring cougars with them haha ;)

ihlemic10
04-21-2007, 01:14 PM
I could wear a Washington State University Cougar sweatshirt for you, people may not get it though. Sput, did you head down? Didn't see you there...

Knuckles Muldoon
04-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Tips fans usually bring cougars with them haha ;)

We could use a few more cougars at the games. The young girls are nice to look at but....

scrunt
04-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Were you the one in the Beach jersey? Will you be there tonight too?

ihlemic10
04-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Were you the one in the Beach jersey? Will you be there tonight too?

Yes I was. Didn't make it tonight, the brakes are almost out on my car, gotta take into the shop tomorrow. Didn't think I would make it to Vancouver or atleast survive with no brakes.

Sput
04-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I could wear a Washington State University Cougar sweatshirt for you, people may not get it though. Sput, did you head down? Didn't see you there...

We thought about it, but decided not to after getting the sched for the kid's tournaments this summer and the travel involved there. didn't seem like it was a good weekend to come down anyway.