PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft

nivek_wahs
04-19-2007, 06:12 AM
I have seen this in a couple of other teams forums... I know there are numerous Pats fans that frequent the board, so I thought we might as well start and Expansion "speculation" thread. It's a long off-season so this discussion can keep Pats fans occupied for a while (as long as people reply and give their 2 cents)...

Do you see Parker doing a pre-draft trade in hopes that the Oil Kings don't take a player off the roster? Or do we gamble and let them pick a non-protected player?

If you think there will be a trade, who will be dealt? If there is no trade who do we protect?

Apparently you can protect 15 players over the age of 16 (2006 and 2007 bantam picks are exempt).

Any and all thoughts are welcome...

vote4arealclown
04-19-2007, 07:32 AM
ok...i'm lame

How many players can you protect? Special rules for 20 yr olds?

Can you trade fans? If so patsdude currently your unprotected!

TADA!

JDubb
04-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Without using my brain power too much, I think the obvious choice to be an Oil King is Tommy Tartaglione. I think he brings a lot to the Pats and will be missed, but with Jeff Bosch coming up and looking like he is ready for the WHL, I think that is the move that will be most beneficial for the team. I also think that TT will get more playing time there, which can only benefit him, especially if he does really for an expansion team.

Unless a deal was to include someone else, potentially a 20-year old Justin Scott, I am not sure Edmonton would agree to a deal for TT, but you never know what Parker will have cooking as time goes by.

Before we know it, plans will be under way for camp, but the summer can't go by too fast as baseball season is the most important season of the year.

Jeremy

Fight Guy
04-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't know what the Pats will do for the Expansion Draft. There are a lot of players they should be looking at making sure they keep. I hope they make some sort of deal before hand so the Pats don't risk losing players that are essential to the Pats future success. As much as I like him, I would think it would be a good move to send Tommy to Edmonton in maybe some sort of package to keep the Pats safe from losing other players. Bosch will definitely be up this year. I thought he would have been last year when Reekie got traded. I have no clue what Edmonton will be looking to do, but Tommy is a good goalie. I really don't know what to think when the draft rolls around.

...but the summer can't go by too fast as baseball season is the most important season of the year.no ;)

witness
04-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Here are my picks:
1. Eberle
2. Hill
3. Leffler
4. MacAngus
5. Ofukany
6. Pyett
7. Ross
8. Rowatt
9. Schira
10. Teubert
11. Delahey
12. Jagow
13. Bosch
14. Kulcher

the 15th spot is up in the air, between Elder, Lind and Reich. I think that they all have their value to the team, so I really couldn't decide.

This leaves out Tommy T, Stoesz, Sauletis, Scott, and Fraipont.

Fight Guy
04-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I can agree with you there, but there are some players left out there that would be a loss in my mind. I think the Pats will be wanting to keep Sauliteis around for sure. He's a player I think can take both 20 year old and import spots. And Stoesz, he actually brought a lot to the team. Definitely fixed the absence of Reinhart, and better! Elder COULD take his spot, but Elder has shown a lot too since coming from P.A.. He has been a greater offensive threat than I would have ever thought. Though I can't argue the Pats already have A LOT of toughness throughout the team! And Lind got sooooo much better as the year progressed. He was GREAT in the playoffs. And Reich also brings a lot to the team...but him and Hill seem to be they same type of players. Didn't notice for awhile, but they definitely are similar...though Hill as lots of speed and if it came down to having one player being an agitator type, Hill comes out in front of Reich. I would really rather see both of them around still. Again, I would like to see some sort of trade made with Edmonton to help the Pats come expansion draft time. It would be better to have these certain players around now, then if room has to be made for some possible up and comers, make appropriate trades later that could benefit the Pats trading some older talent if necessary. ...nothing ridiculous though :confused:

Jeeze...I like this team too much. :p I don't want any of them gone next year!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Here are my picks:
1. Eberle
2. Hill
3. Leffler
4. MacAngus
5. Ofukany
6. Pyett
7. Ross
8. Rowatt
9. Schira
10. Teubert
11. Delahey
12. Jagow
13. Bosch
14. Kulcher

the 15th spot is up in the air, between Elder, Lind and Reich. I think that they all have their value to the team, so I really couldn't decide.

This leaves out Tommy T, Stoesz, Sauletis, Scott, and Fraipont.

I agree with the above, except I would think about protecting stoez if possible. He is kind of the team guy(sort of the new reinhart, except he isnt an on-ice liability). Though elder can fill in his role, Stoez is a bigger presense on and off the ice. Important leader for the team.

The 15th spot would undoubtably go to reich, seeing as it is a 99 percent chance that if he is left unprotected that he would be claimed, and I dotn want to see him go.

Fraipont, Scott, saulietis(will explain below), and Tommy T, along with elder, lind, and maayybe Jagow so we can protect Stoez. I expect that if Tommy isnt picked that Lind, or Jagow would go. Remember, this is all assuming we DONT make a trade, which would be a smarter move, if you ask me.

I can agree with you there, but there are some players left out there that would be a loss in my mind. I think the Pats will be wanting to keep Sauliteis around for sure!

I dont see edmonton taking a overage euro, even if it is saulietis. He doesnt need to be protected. If he actually does get picked up, then edmonton are run by a bunch of morons, and we can just get another pick in the import draft. Edmonton gets 2 good picks in the imp. draft, and 2 potentially good players(OA, and another young euro) is better than a veteran euro, so why fill 2 spots when you are rebuilding literally from the bottom?

Reich also brings a lot to the team...but him and Hill seem to be they same type of players. Didn't notice for awhile, but they definitely are similar...though Hill as lots of speed and if it came down to having one player being an agitator type, Hill comes out in front of Reich. I would really rather see both of them around still.

I think that Reich is poised for a breakout season(for hockey, no stupid pimple jokes). He still needs to find his spot in the lineup, and obviously has alot of potential. I could see him as a PPG player if he is used properly, while Hill is more like a young kyle ross with a physical edge. Like you said, you want to keep both, so... keep both.

Again, I would like to see some sort of trade made with Edmonton to help the Pats come expansion draft time. It would be better to have these certain players around now, then if room has to be made for some possible up and comers, make appropriate trades later that could benefit the Pats trading some older talent if necessary.

Its most likely that we will make a trade. Remember that this comnig year is supposed to be the year we have been building up for. Throw in one of our unprotected players, and 1 or 2 draft picks and we're good to go.

Can you trade fans? If so patsdude currently your unprotected!

pfft... they wont want patsdude.

trade them nivek and a draft pick! haha

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-19-2007, 07:31 PM
I dont think 6 points in 26 games is enough to protect Elder, but either way leave Reich adn Lind unprotected and one of them will go.

I think that Lind needs a change of environment anyways, kind of like Mcdonald did, and Reich, in my mind, is still very valuable. Like I said he still needs to find his spot.(I know that Reich would fit in very well in PA, but I wouldnt hold your breath on that one haha!)

As for elder, I dont see why PA seems to feel that elder was a waste of a roster space. He can move pretty good for a big guy, seems to do his job well, even though he doesnt have much hockey sense, and yes, oh my god....he is the WORST damn checker I have ever seen. You would think a big guy like him could do better than that. He is tied with 160 pound eberle as the worst hitter on the team haha!

Either way, your right, even if he is left unprotected, its unlikely he would get picked.

Sabes
04-19-2007, 09:08 PM
I think that Lind needs a change of environment anyways, kind of like Mcdonald did, and Reich, in my mind, is still very valuable. Like I said he still needs to find his spot.(I know that Reich would fit in very well in PA, but I wouldnt hold your breath on that one haha!)

As for elder, I dont see why PA seems to feel that elder was a waste of a roster space. He can move pretty good for a big guy, seems to do his job well, even though he doesnt have much hockey sense, and yes, oh my god....he is the WORST damn checker I have ever seen. You would think a big guy like him could do better than that. He is tied with 160 pound eberle as the worst hitter on the team haha!

Either way, your right, even if he is left unprotected, its unlikely he would get picked.

It is true, I have been saying that all along

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 05:38 AM
No one has even mentioned Matt Strueby (will be 18) or Brent Raedeke (will be 17) as possible protected players... It could throw the list off a bit...

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 05:51 AM
I didn't even see this
trade them nivek and a draft pick! haha until now...

AND a pick? WOW! Is that all I'm worth? haha :thumb:

Bran
04-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I can't do it...lol. I've tried and tried to come up with lists, but I always end up forgetting someone and it throws the whole thing off! I don't even know where to begin anymore. Silly expansion screws things up!!

I'm surprised at how many people left our Strueby! Or was that an oversight? ? Heh...the Pats should've waited to sign him until after the expansion draft. :spineyes:

Fight Guy
04-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Damn...I never even thought about what Edmonton would be looking for with certain players. That is in regards to my comment of putting Saulities on the list...lol.

Strueby will be protected for sure. He has to be. That would really suck if the Pats waited so long and got Strueby signed, then lose him? I don't think so. I have a feeling is going to be an impact player. The Pats will protect him.

Stoesz should definitely be protected if the Pats want him around next year...and I think he should be. I could see him with an 'A' next season. With five overage spots in Edmonton, he would be a great player to pick up...much like he was with Chilliwack. Was he not the Captain?

Either way, whatever happens, I think the Pats will do just fine. A lot of good talent coming up. And they can easily make probably any trade they wanted with the current talent pool to perhaps better them selves come trade deadline if necessary. Hope I'm not getting too ahead of myself here. Boogaard'd

nivek_wahs
04-23-2007, 02:50 AM
Stoesz should definitely be protected if the Pats want him around next year...and I think he should be. I could see him with an 'A' next season. With five overage spots in Edmonton, he would be a great player to pick up...much like he was with Chilliwack. Was he not the Captain?Chilliwack's captain was Josh Aspenlind. I think Stoesz was an alternate.

nivek_wahs
05-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Pats made a trade with Edmonton...
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=959

Calgary, Alberta – With their 2nd selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft, the Regina Pats traded 2nd round picks with the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings in order to select left winger Graham Hood with the 23rd overall pick. The Pats also sent their 3rd round pick, 57th overall, along with Expansion Considerations to the Oil Kings in the deal.

Damn... still gotta wait!

Bran
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Pats made a trade with Edmonton...
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=959

Damn... still gotta wait!
What exactly does that mean? Expansion considerations?

nivek_wahs
05-03-2007, 06:03 PM
What exactly does that mean? Expansion considerations?Most likely a "player to be named later" type of deal. Probably be named after the Memorial Cup it would be announced.

ChilliwackFan
05-05-2007, 01:15 AM
well not that Regina doesn't have to werey about the expansion draft anymore with getting rid of a player in the trade with edmonton on draft day anyone have a rough idea of who it could be

nivek_wahs
05-05-2007, 07:16 AM
We don't need to worry about a roster player... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=bbfe9cb8-7597-4de0-ab0f-8a4c3c5312ca

Raedeke dealt

The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Regina Pats completed a draft-day trade with the Edmonton Oil Kings on Friday by sending Regina-born winger Brent Raedeke to the expansion club.

The deal fulfills Regina's obligation to Edmonton for the WHL expansion draft, which takes place June 5. Each WHL team is slated to lose a player in the draft, unless it works out a trade in lieu of the selection.

The Pats acquired a second-round pick (23rd overall) from the Oil Kings during Thursday's bantam draft, using the selection on left-winger Graham Hood of Martensville. Regina gave up its second-round pick (35th overall) and a third-rounder (57th) in the deal.

The final piece of the puzzle is Raedeke, 16, an eighth-round pick (114th) in the 2005 bantam draft. He recorded 16 goals and 20 assists for 36 points in 40 games this season with the midget AAA Regina Pat Canadians.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Fight Guy
05-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Well...I'm happy! That's for sure! Glad it wasn't one of our higher picks from last year. Didn't really want to see Kulchar, Miller, or Mitchell go. Pats dodged a bullet. We would have certainly lost someone we didn't want to had this deal not happened.

Bran
05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Nice move!

I don't think I would have felt good about it, no matter who was protected...there was always going to be at least a couple of guys that should have been protected but couldn't.