PDA

View Full Version : Twin towers stand in Giants' way

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 04:32 AM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=883aae0f-ec70-4856-9030-1299786e40bd

Twin towers stand in Giants' way
Prince George defence pairing of Mihalik, Wishart a formidable obstacle

Ian Walker, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, April 20, 2007

To make a long story short: Prince George Cougars defenceman Vladimir Mihalik is tall. Like 6-8 tall.

Not since former Cougar Zedano Chara patrolled the blue line has the Western Hockey League seen a player of his stature.

But that's only the half of it. You see, standing 6-5, the Cougars' Ty Wishart is no slouch on defence, either. Walking through the bowels of the Pacific Coliseum on Thursday, the Cougars' twin towers were more easily recognizable than Pamela Anderson in a red swimsuit. All one had to do was look up. Way up, in Mihalik's case.

"Tall jokes? I've heard them all," said the 245-pound Slovakian behemoth upon his team's arrival at the Coliseum Thursday in advance of tonight's Game 1 of the WHL Western Conference final against the Vancouver Giants. "You get used to it."

The words joke and Cougars were often interchangeable when describing the plight of Prince George's hockey team earlier in the season. Fast forward six months and it's the Cougars who are laughing. Upsets over the Kamloops Blazers and No. 1-ranked Everett Silvertips will have that effect on a team.

Mihalik and his defence partner Wishart are two of the biggest reasons for the Cougars' success through the first two rounds of the post-season. They'll need to stand even taller should underdog Prince George have any chance of completing the hat trick, said Cougars head coach Drew Schoneck, embracing the role.

"They've been recognized by NHL clubs as elite players and they rack up a lot of minutes for us, no doubt," said Schoneck, who replaced the fired Mike Vandekamp early in the season. "We count on them to be our top guys night-in and night-out, and if we have any chance to move on in this series, we'll need those guys to log a lot of minutes and play well for us."

"They have to be hard on the Giants forwards and will have to make those guys pay as much as they want to make us pay."

Mihalik, Wishart and the rest of the Cougars defence have yet to face an opponent as physical as the Giants this post-season as Vancouver's relentless forecheck had a visible effect on the blue-line corps of their previous opponents. The Giants eliminated the Chilliwack Bruins and Seattle Thunderbirds in five games each en route to the conference final.

"Vancouver has a lot of big forwards out there and they like to crash the body and come at you hard," said Wishart, who was the 16th overall pick of the San Jose Sharks in the 2006 entry draft. Mihalik was drafted 30th by the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2005. Both players have been signed by their respective NHL clubs. "We need to use our size to our advantage, but on the same note, Vancouver doesn't have the smallest forwards either, so it could make for some intense battles. They're not going to shy away from anybody."

At least they better not, said Don Hay.

"Their size didn't matter in the regular season, why would our guys be intimated now," said the Giants' head coach.

ICE CHIPS: The Cougars practised at Chilliwack's Prospera Centre on Thursday before dropping their gear at the Pacific Coliseum. Prince George did the same thing prior to Game 5 of their second-round series against the Silvertips, and won that game 4-3 thanks to a four-goal, third-period outburst. Superstition? Schoneck says no. "It helped split up the trip," he said. ... Giants power forward J.D. Watt missed practice for the second straight day on Thursday with flu-like symptoms. He is listed as day-to-day. "We're counting on him playing [tonight]. He was feeling better today, but we just thought we'd let him rest."

iwalker@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

dondo
04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
not to be mean or anything, but Mihalik was a pilon during the regular season and we just skated around him. Wishart on the other hand ...

here's to good series Cougar fans, this will be one hard fought physical series and should give us both some great hockey to watch.

Sput
04-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Regular season is just that....regular season. This is the season that counts now. You guys also haven't seen the Cougs play in the last how many months? This IS a different team now. But of course no one is going to believe me, not until they watch a couple games.

dondo
04-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Oh I am fully aware Sput I was just talking about Mihalik, at times he was out- Gordying Gordichuk for pilonosity -- I expect he's improved.

Yeah this is the team everyone expected after all those nice acquisitions at the start of the season. It going to be a battle out there.

old_time_hockey
04-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Mihalik wasn't so sharp last night I counted 3 coughups in his own end and other than hitting Cunningham repeatedly, wasn't a factor.

Sput
04-21-2007, 05:48 PM
From what I listened to last night, the whole team was off. Not skating, playing tentatively for most of the first two periods. Come the third, they decided they could play with the Giants, and started turning things around. A little to late, mind you. Now that the first game 'jitters' are out of the system, look for a lot tougher matchup the rest of the way.

dondo
04-22-2007, 01:02 AM
actually sorry Sput, but from my vantage the Giants sagged in the third and sat back and I never really saw the Cougs turn it up the way I expected them to do, on Friday.

The Giants physical play last night and tonight have put the Cougars back on their heels, but I expect a few adjustments when the teams resume play in PG.

Something the Cougs need to worry about though is that the big guns for the G's who were mostly silenced throughout the playoffs up to this point have come alive, and our pathetic PP has rediscovered a bit of jam. The Cougs are going to have a tough time with the Giants at the CN Centre, as the Giants are still undefeated on the road (going back to last years playoffs), and the Cougs are undefeated at home this year in the playoffs -- game three should be a hell of game.

I really would not blame Cyr for any of the goals against tonight, 4 goals in 9 shots suck (not for us), but the goals were all good ones from my perspective.

Do you think that Bowles gets the nod for game three?

old_time_hockey
04-22-2007, 01:11 AM
If Bowles doesn't get the nod for game 3, I don't know why the Cougs brought him back and why they wasted am O/A spot on him.

That one save in the 3rd where he reached back and hauled it down was amazing.

scrunt
04-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I'm glad I don't have to make the call on who starts in goal next game. I thought Cyr stole the show in Game 1, and he didn't let in any weak ones in Game 2. Sure Bowles played very well the rest of the way, but if he starts in Game 3, that pretty much makes him the starter the rest of the way, unless he gets pulled in a game. Then what? Back to Cyr as the starter? One strike and you're out?

I would go back with Cyr in Game 3, which would help keep his confidence up and send a message to the team that the coach isn't blaming the goalie. While this way it is tough on Bowles, as a 20 year old he should be able to maintain a positive outlook and keep Cyr motivated.

Tough call, though. Look how screwed up the Atlanta Thrashers got when the coach make some wrong goaltending decisions...

Sput
04-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't think it really matters which gets the nod for game three. Even tho goalies are supposed to be competitors against each other, Cyr and Bowles are probably the two best freinds on the team. They push each other sure, but support each other no matter who get the start.

I kinda think Bowlesy will get the start, but who knows. He did stand on his head once he got in, and kept the score where it was for most of his time served.

What the Cats HAVE to do, is find a way through the fore-check, and then get some pressure in deep infront of Sexsmith, as its widely said he is the weak link. Seto, Nick, Dana, these guys all have to find that extra spark to get'er done. I still think they will make a series of it, but they have to win the first one to get going.

Well.....at least the Canuks lost again last night!:D

Jimmy
04-22-2007, 02:43 PM
I think you gotta stick to it and keep going with Cyr.
They could have sat him after losing the first two to the Tips but he played and look how it went.

WestLEAFfan
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I think you gotta stick to it and keep going with Cyr.
They could have sat him after losing the first two to the Tips but he played and look how it went.

I agree wholeheartedly. CYR needs to get back on the horse after that disappointing loss. Afterall, he got them to where they are now with some terrific goalkeeping. I know this kid personally and he would like nothing better than to a get another chance to show he can steal a game when his team needs him the most. GO COUGARS and CYR!! yeehoo applause