PDA

View Full Version : Heart and soul of the Tigers

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 04:44 AM
http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5398.php
Note: check out the picture posted or Dorsett by clicking the link... Is it just me or does he have some crazy looking eyes? lol

Heart and soul of the Tigers
By DARREN STEINKE, Medicine Hat News
Apr 20, 2007

When Derek Dorsett returned to the Medicine Hat Tigers lineup, it was like the team recovered a big part of its heart and soul.
In his three seasons with the Tigers, the overage right-winger from Kindersley, Sask., has been one of the fiery and emotional leaders for the hockey club. When something needs to be said in the dressing room, he says it.
Not only can he say things, Dorsett can back up his words with solid play on the ice. Since returning from a hand injury in Game 6 of the first round series against the Red Deer Rebels, Dorsett had four goals and four assists in six games.
“You are hoping that when a guy first comes back he can contribute and give guys a rest,” said Tigers head coach and general manager Willie Desjardins, who wasn’t expecting much offensive production from Dorsett at first. “Right from the first game, he has made a difference for us offensively.
“He is one of our leaders. I think we are a better team with him in the lineup. It has been good for us to have him back.”
For someone as competitive as Dorsett, starting the playoffs sitting in the stands was not the greatest thing in the world. He injured his right hand in a fight on March 5 during a 3-0 victory over the Swift Current Broncos. He wouldn’t appear in another WHL game for 27 days.
“It sucked coming down to the rink knowing that you can’t practice,” said Dorsett, who netted 19 goals, 45 assists, 206 penalty minutes and was plus-17 in 61 regular season games. “The only thing you can do is ride the bike.
“It is awesome knowing I am in the lineup, and I can practice every day.”
The offensive production started to come in the 6-5 setback in Game 6 to Red Deer in the opening round. Dorsett had a goal in that contest, and in Game 7 two days later he netted the insurance marker in a 2-0 win.
“The third period of the first game I started to feel a little better, a little more up to speed,” said Dorsett. “My emotions and adrenaline carried me in Game 7.”
Dorsett was also thrilled he was placed back on a line with top offensive threats Darren Helm at centre and overage Chris Stevens at left-wing.
The line combined on a huge overtime goal in the Tigers second round series sweep of the Regina Pats. Dorsett netted the overtime winner in Game 3 of the series to earn a 2-1 win and a 3-0 series lead.
“It is always great to get overtime goals,” said Dorsett, who has been a fan favourite his whole career in Medicine Hat. “Everyone wants to score it (the overtime winner).
“It was a nice play from Helmer down to Stevo. Stevo made a great pass. A lot of times he probably could have shot it. He found me wide open in the slot.”
The next challenge is facing the Calgary Hitmen in a best-of-seven WHL Eastern Conference championship final series. Game 1 is set for tonight at 7:30 p.m. at The Arena.
Since the Tigers have made it this far, Dorsett said he wants to help the team push for the ultimate goal of the Memorial Cup. However, the focus must remain on the present.
“All we can do is take it one game at a time,” said Dorsett. “Calgary is a great team.
“We are going to have to come out as a team. Every guy that is playing in this dressing room is going to have to put their heart on their sleeve and play as hard as they can and be ready for war.”

© Copyright by Medicine Hat News.com