PDA

View Full Version : Giants have their hands full with Cats

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 04:52 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54619&Itemid=160

[edit: I wasn't sure which forum to post this... lol]

Giants have their hands full with Cats

JIM SWANSON

Citizen Sports Editor

(Sports) Thursday, 19 April 2007, 22:09 PST

Can the team name be changed? Forget Cats, might as well call this group the Prince George Underdogs.

The Prince George Cougars, as it will be for as long as this playoff run continues, start another series on the road tonight, which means in this case home-ice advantage belongs to the Vancouver Giants.

That may actually bode well.

The Giants, the B.C. Division champions of the regular season, are one of those rare groups that plays better on the road than at home. Take the current playoffs as a snapshot -- the Giants are 8-2 overall, both losses coming at the Pacific Coliseum, one to Chilliwack, the other to Seattle. Both, notably, came early in those series.

The Cougars did the same thing a year ago facing Vancouver in the opening round, splitting the opening weekend. Problem was, the Cats couldn’t hold at home and lost both games, losing the series in five games when Gilbert Brule and Co. overwhelmed Prince George en route to the league playoff title.

This is a different Cougars team, but one that will have to deal with the fact it lost seven of eight regular season meetings with Vancouver. This is a different Giants team, albeit one that has strung together 12 straight road playoff wins dating back to last spring -- impressive indeed. When Game 3 arrives, something will have to give because the Cougars are 5-0 at CN Centre in these playoffs, winning games in so many different ways.

“P.G. hasn't faced a physical team like Vancouver in these playoffs,” an NHL scout told the Vancouver Province.

“Kamloops thought they could beat them on skill and couldn’t, and Everett tried to rely on their system and there were breakdowns. Then again, if I was Vancouver, I probably would have rather played Everett. I think that might have been an easier series overall. Everett lacked in team toughness.

“To me, this is a lot like the WHL final last year, when Vancouver played a high-scoring Moose Jaw team. The difference is that Prince George has better defence and stronger goaltending that Moose Jaw.”

Prince George won’t be sneaking up on anyone anymore, not after knocking off the heavily-favoured Silvertips.

“I think it was a surprise to everyone,” Giants coach Don Hay said in the Vancouver Sun. “Everett was the No. 1 team in the CHL. It really speaks to the hunger of the Cougars.”

Because of video technology, and because the Cougars and Giants met eight times this season, Prince George head coach Drew Schoneck doesn’t expect to see any new wrinkles out of Vancouver.

“Vancouver’s a team where you know what you’re going to get,” said Schoneck.

“They’re not going to change a lot because they come at you in waves and do the same things. Everett was a team that had something different coming at you line-by-line, but Don Hay is more straight-forward. They approach it the way we want to, tell the guys to go out and play our game and challenge teams to beat us.”

In detail, here’s a breakdown of the series:

Goaltending

Neither Real Cyr of the Cougars or Tyson Sexsmith of the Giants had played a minute of playoff hockey prior to this season, but both have been tested now. Sexsmith started slowly and was being skewered for the way the Chilliwack series started, but he’s since rebounded and leads the WHL in goals-against average at 1.83. Cyr has been phenomenal -- 8-1, with a .919 save percentage that is second only to Taylor Dakers of the Kootenay Ice. There is no question who will play goal for Vancouver, right through their hosting of the Memorial Cup, and now there is no question in Prince George. If the Cougars win, Cyr will be a major factor, but the Giants may win without Sexsmith being tested.

ADVANTAGE: Cougars

Defence

This, folks, is the biggest mismatch of the series. The Giants have depth, proven by overager A.J. Thelen, a first-round NHL pick, playing on the third pairing. The Giants don’t have an answer for the hulking body of Vladimir Mihalik, though their depth and skill on the back end makes up for that. Cody Franson is similar to Ty Wishart, but better; Brett Festerling is similar to Kalvin Sagert, but better; Jonathan Blum and Brendan Mikkelson are light years ahead of Curtis Patterson, Chris Vanduynhoven, Garrett Thiessen and Lance Redden.

ADVANTAGE: Giants, by a whole lot

Forwards

The flash vs. the forecheck. The Cougars have the better offensive players in Devin Setoguchi, Nick Drazenovic and Dana Tyrell, although Kenndal McArdle and Wacey Rabbit are no slouches. The challenge for the Cougars falls to Jared Walker, Chris Durand, Evan Fuller, Greg Gardner and Richard Rapac to match the physical play of J.D. Watt, Milan Lucic and Spencer Machacek. Thanks to a stifling pressure game, the Giants averaged 33.8 shots on goal per game in the regular season and controlled the play so convincingly that the opposition managed an average of 21.2 shots per game -- that’s a huge difference. Vancouver has crowed about controlling the top lines of the Bruins and Thunderbirds, but the one-two punch of the Setoguchi and Drazenovic lines is another world. How have the Cougars won four games since captain Eric Hunter went down? It’s surprising, and impressive.

ADVANTAGE: Cougars, but it’s close

Coaching, special teams

Poor Schoneck. All he does is beat Dean Clark, then Kevin Constantine, and now he’s matched up with Hay, who has held two NHL head coaching jobs. While Hay deserves all the respect he gets, it’s also time to put a final end to any questioning of Schoneck’s ability. Even critics have to come around and recognize Schoneck and Dallas Thompson have found the right buttons to push, and have managed to limit damage with injuries to Hunter and Jesse Dudas, both key players.

A clash to watch will be between the Giants penalty killing, the best in the WHL in the regular season at 90.4 per cent, and the Cougars’ power play, which is tops among remaining playoff clubs at 22.6 per cent. The Giants will try to limit what Setoguchi and Wishart can initiate from the points, and it’s possible this matchup will determine the series winner.

ADVANTAGE: Giants, on consistency.

Overall

Can the Cougars win this series? Yes. But the same can be said for the Giants, who expect to see players like Franson, Lucic and Watt play better against Prince George than they did in the first two rounds. The Cougars are firing on all cylinders, and it’s not wrong to wonder if they can play any better than they did against Everett. Maintaining their level of play will give them a shot if Vancouver is off its game even a small amount. If both teams play at their highest level, the favoured team will prevail.

CITIZEN PREDICTION: Giants in 6.

WestLEAFfan
04-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Real Cyr will lead his team to a western conference title with a series win in 7 games. This kid is phenomenal. Why he isn't drafted is beyond me.

Kassian
04-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Real Cyr will lead his team to a western conference title with a series win in 7 games. This kid is phenomenal. Why he isn't drafted is beyond me.

Not with the kind of performance he had tonight....

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I just finished watching the game on Sportsnet and Rabbit was a Cougar killer tonight with 4 goals(too bad he couldn't get his 5th and tie the WHL record.)

I feel so stupid for picking the Cougars in 7 as my prediction and I went back and fourth,well even if I had predicted that series correctly I still would not be the winner.

either way I will have a team to cheer for in the Memorial Cup,it looks like it will be the Giants and that is awesome because hat tricks are for Rabbit's and he is a former Blade of course.

I know that many other Blades fans probably feel the same way as I do about Rabbit and Setoguchi,and a difference being that Rabbit is 20 and Setoguchi is 19(but it is most likely his last year in the WHL) I think that the Blades got full value for Setoguchi and were kinda ripped off in the Rabbit trade(that is my opinon)BUT Rabbit is a 20 year old and Setoguchi is 19,but this will be there last season in the WHL,and in both trades the Blades were given a roster player,and a draft pick(Prince George had the slightly better deal for the Blades)

The Giants played very well in the game and if they play like this in games 3 & 4 they should have no trouble with defeating the Cougars. Either way I am looking forward to watching Wacey Rabbit and the rest of the Vancouver Giants in the Memorial Cup.

Swando
04-22-2007, 12:11 AM
I think that the Blades got full value for Setoguchi and were kinda ripped off in the Rabbit trade(that is my opinon)BUT Rabbit is a 20 year old and Setoguchi is 19

The Giants gave up a 2nd round pick for basically a rental player and a player that would not come back to the Blades. He and his agent wanted to go to a team that had a legitament chance at the Mem Cup. What better choice than the Giants. If it was under different circumstances I agree..maybe the trade could have been sweetened a bit, but i n this case the Blades hands were tied.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-22-2007, 12:25 AM
I think that the Blades got full value for Setoguchi and were kinda ripped off in the Rabbit trade(that is my opinion)BUT Rabbit is a 20 year old and Setoguchi is 19

The Giants gave up a 2nd round pick for basically a rental player and a player that would not come back to the Blades. He and his agent wanted to go to a team that had a legitament chance at the Mem Cup. What better choice than the Giants. If it was under different circumstances I agree..maybe the trade could have been sweetened a bit, but i n this case the Blades hands were tied.

Yes that is true and the Blades got the best value that they could for Rabbit,and
the Giants also gave up Kenton Dulle as well,but it was obviously not a big loss for you guys.

Ok so the Blades did in there case get full value in both trades,so the Blades did very well in terms of value of what they received for these rental players(Rabbit and Setoguchi)

dondo
04-22-2007, 12:38 AM
oh don't be so sure Dulle has potential to be a very important cog in the Blades machine.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-22-2007, 12:46 AM
oh don't be so sure Dulle has potential to be a very important cog in the Blades machine.
Yes he is a good player,he was used to QB the Powerplay. I do see potential in him, with the new guys that the Blades will be getting, maybe he will find chemistry with those guys and I am hoping that he will be an important cog in the Blades machine,like you said. One thing is for sure: the Blades better not loose him in the Expansion Draft to the Edmonton Oil Kings .

Swando
04-22-2007, 01:00 AM
Yes that is true and the Blades got the best value that they could for Rabbit,and
the Giants also gave up Kenton Dulle as well,but it was obviously not a big loss for you guys.

Ok so the Blades did in there case get full value in both trades,so the Blades did very well in terms of value of what they received for these rental players(Rabbit and Setoguchi)

I knew as I was typing that the Giants gave up more than a 2nd round pick to get Rabbit but I had a brain f for a minute. I think that Blades did well in this deal. However I was never a big Dulle fan and I think he would have been unprotected for expansion draft or traded this next off season. Just MO

old_time_hockey
04-22-2007, 01:17 AM
I agree with Swando. Dulle was a good player, but we have many players that can play his role. For me, if it came down to Dulle or Kane going into a game, I am puting Kane in. And so to give him up for someone that could bring as much on and off the ice as Rabbit, was a no brainer for the Bonners.

And really, the move to the Blades was in the best interest of Dulle as well where he will play a bigger role and further his development.

WestLEAFfan
04-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Not with the kind of performance he had tonight....

CYR and the COUGARS will be back Kassian. One sub-par game does not lose a series! I'd be buying game 5 tickets if I were you! :burningma nhl3

Section_Z
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
CYR and the COUGARS will be back Kassian. One sub-par game does not lose a series! I'd be buying game 5 tickets if I were you! :burningma nhl3

Yes, it would be nice to win the Conference series at home on Friday....=)

Kassian
04-22-2007, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the tip. :spineyes:

WestLEAFfan
04-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. :spineyes:

Anything else I can do to help? Ask the TIPS what happened to a 2 - 0 series lead! Don't count out the CATS just yet. yeehoo

Kassian
04-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Anything else I can do to help? Ask the TIPS what happened to a 2 - 0 series lead! Don't count out the CATS just yet. yeehoo

The Giants aren't the Tips. Plus the Cougars haven't had to play a team as good defensively as the Giants. As long as the Giants don't have some sort of defensive meltdown the Setoguchi line won't be able to produce like they have for most of the playoffs.

WestLEAFfan
04-22-2007, 08:03 PM
The Giants aren't the Tips. Plus the Cougars haven't had to play a team as good defensively as the Giants. As long as the Giants don't have some sort of defensive meltdown the Setoguchi line won't be able to produce like they have for most of the playoffs.

You're right, the GIANTS are not the TIPS, but you haven't seen the COUGARS at their best yet either. I'm just saying the CATS are not dead yet! I truly believe they'll win game 3 and make a series out of it. :thumb:

old_time_hockey
04-22-2007, 08:26 PM

The problem with the Tips was they believed their own hype. They thought that they would march on into the Memorial Cup with little resistance. They didn't have the cogs to play in the playoffs.

dondo
04-22-2007, 08:37 PM
The Tips are not built for the playoffs -- not unlike the Sens they cruise through the early rounds, but when a real playoff team comes to play they fold like a cheap suit. The only thing I worry about with the Cougs is if the Giants get into bad penalty problems the Cougs could win one with their PP.

old_time_hockey
04-22-2007, 09:34 PM
The Tips are not built for the playoffs -- not unlike the Sens they cruise through the early rounds, but when a real playoff team comes to play they fold like a cheap suit. The only thing I worry about with the Cougs is if the Giants get into bad penalty problems the Cougs could win one with their PP.

No doubt. But I was impressed with the Giants in game 2. They held their emotions in and didn't take stupid penalties.

I was actually proud of Watt. For being sick as he is, he didn't do stupid lazy crap that he has done in the past. Even laid out 3 nice clean hits.

Knuckles Muldoon
04-22-2007, 09:47 PM
You're right, the GIANTS are not the TIPS, but you haven't seen the COUGARS at their best yet either. I'm just saying the CATS are not dead yet! I truly believe they'll win game 3 and make a series out of it. :thumb:

Fair enough. But keep in mind that the Giants only get better as series' go on. Ask Seattle. And Everett. And Moose Jaw. And Portland. And Chilliwack. And...

Kassian
04-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Well time is running out for the Cougars. They need to at least get a split at home in order to stand a chance. Even then the Giants haven't lost on the road in the playoffs since before last season. It's not going to be an easy task either way.

WestLEAFfan
04-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Well time is running out for the Cougars. They need to at least get a split at home in order to stand a chance. Even then the Giants haven't lost on the road in the playoffs since before last season. It's not going to be an easy task either way.

I'm sure the Cougars are looking no further than game 3 and if that results in a split, they'll take it! Once they get a win and start playing with confidence they'll be a force. If CYR gets back in net, look out. He'll bounce back with a vengeance! :burningma

langdak
04-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm sure the Cougars are looking no further than game 3 and if that results in a split, they'll take it! Once they get a win and start playing with confidence they'll be a force. If CYR gets back in net, look out. He'll bounce back with a vengeance! :burningma

Cyr can only be as good as the guys who play infront of him, and to be honest the play of the Cougars defense has been sub par at best.

WestLEAFfan
04-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Cyr can only be as good as the guys who play infront of him, and to be honest the play of the Cougars defense has been sub par at best.

Good point.Everybody on the Cougars need to pick it up in a hurry, or it'll be over way too soon.

old_time_hockey
04-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Wonder if they are thinking of starting Bowles. I mean he did play well against the Giants last year in round 1. But didn't look so hot in his game against the Tips.

I would come back with Cyr. One iffy game where he got no help shouldn't get you yanked since he was the guy that has taken them to the 3rd round.