PDA

View Full Version : Lethbridge's pick

ChilliwackFan
04-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Just wondering who you guys think Lethbridge will leave unprotected in the expansion draft?

canes77
04-21-2007, 12:29 AM
In my opinion...two possible scenarios here of unprotected players...

Scenario 1...unprotected players include: F Matlock, F Todd, F Gionfriddo, D Kerr, and D Knudsen

Scenario 2...unprotected players include: F Matlock, D Kerr, D Knudsen, G Leclerc, G Maniago

Scenario 2 may work since we could keep one of those two goalies and give the backup job to a rookie, if a promising one is coming up (however I'm not aware of our prospects).

Caner
04-21-2007, 03:19 PM
You'd protect versteeg? Unless the canes plan on turning versteeg into a goalie theres no way he's protected. The way he plays he'd be better at goal than a skater. He's 19 and can't play. Although I doubt edmonton would touch him, they would be able to choose someone better.

taylor0017
04-21-2007, 05:47 PM
I would protect Versteeg over Knudsen any Day ....Knudsen is slow , scared , that was the worest trade Roy has made. So I would protect Versteeg over Knudsen. Let Knudsen go ....

shushu
04-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I would protect Versteeg over Knudsen any Day ....Knudsen is slow , scared , that was the worest trade Roy has made. So I would protect Versteeg over Knudsen. Let Knudsen go ....
if this team is going to improve there better be some dmen with 1000% more talent that both these hacks. or what you see this year, is going to be what you get next year..............ps thanks canes 77 for that tidbit true or not.............................

canes77
04-22-2007, 01:09 AM
ps thanks canes 77 for that tidbit true or not.............................

No prob shushu...as for it being true, all i can say is it's the story I was told, from a close source whom I trust wouldn't make anything up...but who knows...

Interesting to note that Hoggtown in the Netowrk 54 message board stated that....."Dyck had enough of stasiuk confronting his players and himself between periods and made it known he wasn't going to stand for it anymore. Apparently during the year some of the things said to the coaches and players were way out of line. The one I heard - He (gm) told a player (in the dressing room) that if he didn't play better his sick (cancer) dad would never see him play in the league again."

All I can say is wow!

canes77
04-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Brutal eh? All of us WHL fans deserve a decent franchise in Leth, I wish we could go back in time about 10 yrs.

shushu
04-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Brutal eh? All of us WHL fans deserve a decent franchise in Leth, I wish we could go back in time about 10 yrs.
and with any luck that asteriod would have hit us and spared all those painfull years of watching the board of dir. trying to put a winning team together...............

aaAlta
04-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Maybe part of the difficulties stem from board and management trying to be too involved in the dressing room and on the ice. Too many hockey experts in the wings.

I think the thing to do is have a coach you have faith in. Agree on the basics with him. Then let him and his staff take care of the players and the on ice action. Work on his pipeline and trade targets for him. And take care of the off ice business.

I heard the same stuff about interference, gm trying to participate in scratch decisions too much, off base comments. Not sure about that being all accurate. But the one that really surprised me was I'd heard the players met with Board execs as part of their exit interviews. I think thats not too common.

Porkchop
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I also heard that one, all the players met with the board before leaving town to find out if what they were hearing was true. I also heard there is a long line-up of players requesting to be dealt. Now there must be some serious crap going on to create this kind of atmosphere.

canes77
04-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Must be a lot going on behind the scenes if all the players met with the Board, (and all us posters seem to agree with more negative stories to tell, how much more is there that none of us posters know yet? )...I was recently told that Roy went after Dyck by grabbing his collar, screaming at him and pushing him in the dressing room (after the game the Rebels eliminated us), before Dyck delivered a punch forcing Roy to quietly leave...

As for the long list of players requesting a trade, I've also heard many of them have kind of suggested an option of "either Roy goes or I do"...

Not many of us would put up with this behaviour at our jobs, it's sad that the players have to go through this, they are just simply trying to play hockey and make it to the pros...

I like the core of our players so I'd rather let the GM go this summer than see players such as Boychuk, Fadden, Bancks and/or Wright get traded...I sometimes wonder how well any of us posters could be as a GM. :)

Caner
04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=canes77] I was recently told that Roy went after Dyck by grabbing his collar, screaming at him and pushing him in the dressing room (after the game the Rebels eliminated us), before Dyck delivered a punch forcing Roy to quietly leave...
As usual Stasiuk started it and Dyck ended it. All this infront of the team.

As for the long list of players requesting a trade, I've also heard many of them have kind of suggested an option of "either Roy goes or I do"...
Bang on. Some of the stories going around are brutal.

Not many of us would put up with this behaviour at our jobs, it's sad that the players have to go through this, they are just simply trying to play hockey and make it to the pros...
This statement sums up why so many players won't come back.

I like the core of our players so I'd rather let the GM go this summer than see players such as Boychuk, Fadden, Bancks and/or Wright get traded...
Wright is one of the players in line to get out.

Triton
04-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Leaving Matlock unprotected could come back to hurt the Canes.I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

shushu
04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
why sign people to 50 year contracts before you know their nature or skill level (job wise).its gotten to the point that these kids dont want to come to leth, not only because of a poor hockey program, but even worse, a unhealthy enviroment, which is sickening. i use to read on the whl forum that there was certain citys in the dub that were to say the least " undesirable" for the kids to play in.. leth. better not turn into one of them, or its seriously time to get all the shareholder and season ticket holder together and clean house from the top down.......................

grainbear
04-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I am not saying that Dyck or Stasiuk are the end of the world. But I am getting tired of the rumor mill. We are not the National Enquirer , if you did not hear the comment yourself then it is simply rumor and it is the negativity of some of posters that effect players who might be drafted, listed whether they show up for training camp or not. Lets forget the bull**** and start being positive about our coachs, managers, and players . Keep your statements to yourself unless you are prepared put the facts up as to who said it and where.

aaAlta
04-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Totally agree. All I was saying is the management/ownership style might be a little top heavy. But the players have faith in the coach. And when things dont go well the GM is going to get frustrated too, but the only place he gets to burn that off is in the lower halls.

Anyhow, Lethbridge is a great place to play. You've got a lot of character and skill assembled on the team. You're maybe just a couple guys away from making a serious run at the next couple years. Heck, even without much strategic addition, with the guys you've got, another year older, and maybe a bit more scrappy (but disciplined) could be good.

shushu
04-24-2007, 07:30 PM
I am not saying that Dyck or Stasiuk are the end of the world. But I am getting tired of the rumor mill. We are not the National Enquirer , if you did not hear the comment yourself then it is simply rumor and it is the negativity of some of posters that effect players who might be drafted, listed whether they show up for training camp or not. Lets forget the bull**** and start being positive about our coachs, managers, and players . Keep your statements to yourself unless you are prepared put the facts up as to who said it and where.

if fans want to discuse things about their teams (rumor or not) it none of your business to come on hereand tell them to shut it. if you dont like the conversation you take a walk............ the comment i wrote came from a 40 year old family man that billets one of the canes, and was actually at the game in calgary. so idont think he's going to make up that story for fun!!! here's an idea strart anew thread and you and whoever can discuse any thing you want uninterupted.............................

grainbear
04-24-2007, 08:17 PM
I am probably old enough to be your Dad, but thanks at least you put some credibilty into your statements by giving us a source without going into naming the individual. I respect your comments but still believe that all the negativity about our teams management is counter productive. There is a reason why you and I are not management. The direction for this team comes down from the board of directors and maybe they meddle too much but the fact of the matter is they own the team, so get used to it . There are no miracle men in hockey even Sutter teams get beat !

Porkchop
04-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Grainbear: there lots of serious crap happening within the canes, thats a fact not a rumour. Why do you think the board members met with the players. Its a message board and facts should be allowed (people are entitled to know the truth), and I agree bad rumours are not needed. Putting your head in the sand and ignoring the truth won't make things better or right.

aaAlta
04-24-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm not disputing whats being said. But the frustrations do come out when you feel you're close, but not quite getting it done. If they just could have got September results to carry thru October. I still say you're a player or two and a year or two away from a serious run. So maybe its best not to tear it all up. But I also agree that these boards are for beaking too, its not all pretty. IMO you just get the best people you can on the ice and the bench; and let them do their job without much interference.

shushu
04-24-2007, 11:22 PM
sit back with a half sack and say what a wonderful team we have , but the only way thats going to happen is if we move to the hat. with all the crap this team has gone though any discussion about current events is not negative its the truth.and i agree to sit back and put our head in the sand is as stupid of a move as it come............. also the board does not own the team the shareholders and more importantly the season ticket holders do, take them away and see how long the team survives. if this bs has any merrit then you me and everyone else should be putting pressure on the top to make things wright. i was happy to hear that at the end of the season there was a ton of preasure to fire one or both (roy and or dyck) . even if nothing happens, the board starts to see the fans are getting sick of the bull@#$$. ...ps.. ive been watching this for the last 10 years ,if you have been to, obviously we are not looking at the same picture....................

aaAlta
04-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Its clear you know whats up. I've only been following the team for a few years. And I thought it looked to be shaping up pretty good, from a player perspective. But then its still just off the mark. I can appreciate how that could be maddening after ten years. I still like to think of them being only a couple guys and a year or so away from some really good results. But we shall see. Hopefully management settles down.

I still think they should have got a quality rising 88 for yellowhorn. And maybe the other trades should have been more to strengthen the next couple years, as opposed to stop gapping the last year with guys that you couldnt keep.

Maybe after the draft, when we see what Edmonton takes and whats the deal with the Euros, we can start a "if I were GM thread". Last year I thought they should be after a couple quality 88's. And during the season lots of them moved, but not to the Canes.

hockeypsycho
04-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I was listening to a WHL radio show the other day and they were talking about what happened in Swift Current years ago with Graham James. It seems to me the problem was the players didn't know who to turn to when they were being abused. Of course, players today know a lot more about abuse and they tend to stand up for themselves a lot more, but I really think we need to remember that they are still quite young, are away from home, and want to stay with the team and "make it." There is a lot of pressure on them to "put up" with a lot . . . sometimes, abuse.
That's why I'm happy to hear they had a chance to talk to the board at the end of the year. I do wonder, though, if they ever had a chance to talk to the board, or someone on the board, during the year. What do these player (kids) do if they feel they are being abused during the season? Who do they talk do? Obviously not the coach or the GM who may be doing the abusing! Perhaps there should be a board meeting mid-season? Maybe a hotline to one of the board members?
That the coach and GM got into some "tussles" has not been denied, even by the GM in his interview in the Lethbridge Herald. If the GM is making everybody's life miserable he has do be dealt with, whether it's firing or a change in his job description . . .
What's really important now is to get the players to "buy in" for next season. If there is enough of them who really don't want to play for the current GM (or coach? . . . I haven't heard too much complaining about him) these players need to feel they are wanted and will be protected . . . and yes, have a chance to have a great (fun!) season in Lethbridge. This team came so close to making the playoffs, they had lots of points, and they have a great nucleus of players . . . can you imagine if they were properly motivated and happy coming to the rink every day . . . they definitely would have made the playoffs. I think maybe a hockey shrink may be what this team really needs! (no, I'm not a shrink . . . I'm just psycho!)

aaAlta
04-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Theres nothing close to abuse being alleged here. Just when the going is tough sometimes theres frustrations that come out. Its a competitive top end league. Theres alot at stake for all involved. And they all want success. So sometimes it gets in your face off the ice, just like it does on the ice. These players are character guys who can manage some heat when its on. Everyone, players, coaches, management and fans should just suck it up and go for it together. Cause I think this team is close to a good run at it the next couple years.

Porkchop
04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
So sometimes it gets in your face off the ice, just like it does on the ice. These players are character guys who can manage some heat when its on. Everyone, players, coaches, management and fans should just suck it up and go for it together. Cause I think this team is close to a good run at it the next couple years.

Negativity day in and day out can't be good for teenagers. So the answer is - ignore the problems and just play hockey, its ok, its major junior. This is easier said than done. Being mistreated should not be tolerated and obviously this was happening at the good old lethbridge sportsplex.

aaAlta
04-27-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm not saying ignore anything. But I think they can deal with it. Everybody learns something from the year, at all levels, I hope. With that experience they can all try to do better next year. We'll see.

ManiacCaneiac
04-27-2007, 02:14 PM
It's a veeerrrryyyy fine line, especially in junior hockey.

Mistreated- as in TOUGH LOVE?

Mistreated- as in ABUSED?

Tough love is needed. Abuse can't be tolerated. Without the tough love though, it's a challenge to be TOUGH, to get better.

aaAlta
04-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Well the comment about the players dad sounded way out of line. But otherwise I think its just frustration boiling over at times. But even in this thread its like more between the coach and gm. Not so much the gm or coach coming down on the players. I think the players are sticking up for the coach.

I cant say. Because its not something I see with my own eyes. So I'm trying to suggest that comments that use the word abuse or mis-treatment might be overstating the reality. And you're not likely to get any hard confirmations of anything discussed here anyhow. So give them the benefit of the doubt; and a fresh start for the new season.

ManiacCaneiac
04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Well the comment about the players dad sounded way out of line. But otherwise I think its just frustration boiling over at times. But even in this thread its like more between the coach and gm. Not so much the gm or coach coming down on the players. I think the players are sticking up for the coach.

I cant say. Because its not something I see with my own eyes. So I'm trying to suggest that comments that use the word abuse or mis-treatment might be overstating the reality. And you're not likely to get any hard confirmations of anything discussed here anyhow. So give them the benefit of the doubt; and a fresh start for the new season.

agree 100%

grainbear
04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
When you consider that we have the 6th pick overall in the first round will we see one of a local bantam boys taken as our first pick. So far it looks like they are continuing to make their presence felt at the Alberta Cup. This seems like a distinct possibilty unless we lose them to the first 5 teams. Guess we will see what happens come next Thursday . Will see what feedback I can get as one of my buddies is going up to evaluate the officals this weekend in Okotoks .

hockeypsycho
04-27-2007, 10:54 PM
It would be great if we could draft the best players and they would be happy to play for the Hurricanes. What if they don't want to come because of what they've heard? If it were my kid I think I would let him play junior or midget for another year to see how things develop. I'd like to know who are the players who don't want to come back . . . I suspect it is the younger players who weren't quite prepared for the "lack of fun"

loudi94
04-27-2007, 11:01 PM
When you consider that we have the 6th pick overall in the first round will we see one of a local bantam boys taken as our first pick. So far it looks like they are continuing to make their presence felt at the Alberta Cup. This seems like a distinct possibilty unless we lose them to the first 5 teams. Guess we will see what happens come next Thursday . Will see what feedback I can get as one of my buddies is going up to evaluate the officals this weekend in Okotoks .

Ross, Reners, Deagle, Hirshe and Gal should all go first round (in that order). Gal may be the best of them when all is said and done.