View Full Version : Offseason planning well underway already

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=946

Offseason planning well underway already

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, April 20, 2007

Offseason? What offseason?

The next 21/2 months will be a busy time for the Regina Pats, who were eliminated from the playoffs last weekend following a four-game swept at the hands of the Medicine Hat Tigers.

Preparations are already underway for the 2007-08 campaign, with particular emphasis on four separate drafts: The WHL bantam draft, WHL expansion draft, NHL entry draft and CHL import draft. Also on the agenda over the next 10 weeks are the Memorial Cup in Vancouver, the WHL annual general meeting and league scheduling meetings.

"It becomes a bit of a whirlwind," said Pats GM Brent Parker, who is facing a shorter summer than usual after his team reached the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 1998. "I think all of us would like to have a short offseason if we could have it. The shorter the offseason the better the results."

The key upcoming dates for the Pats are as follows:

May 3 (bantam draft) -- Head scout Todd Ripplinger and his staff are in the final stages of assembling the Pats' wish list from a deep talent pool of 1992-born players. Regina is slated to pick 13th overall by virtue of its 10th-place finish in the WHL standings.

"The draft this year is well-balanced," said Parker. "The (scouts) feel you could get as good of a player in the second round as you might get in the first. The first overall pick might be the same as the guy who goes at 13 -- and vice versa. There's some good depth."

The Portland Winter Hawks won the lottery for non-playoff teams, earning the first overall pick. They're followed by the Kelowna Rockets, Edmonton Oil Kings, Saskatoon Blades and Moose Jaw Warriors.

June 5 (expansion draft) -- This is the Oil Kings' first opportunity to stock their roster with proven WHL talent. Each team can protect a total of 15 players from age 17 to 20 or three 20-year-olds, plus 13 from age 17 to 19.

The Oil Kings will choose one player from the 50-player protected list of each club, unless a trade is worked out in lieu of the draft.

"I'd like to be able to do something (by way of a trade) but I don't foresee it happening," said Parker, who expects his team to lose "a good player" in the expansion draft.

June 22-23 (NHL entry draft) -- It could be the best draft in many years for the Pats. Linden Rowat is the top-rated goalie from the WHL while Nick Ross is one of the league's highest-rated defencemen. Right-winger Brett Leffler is also on the NHL radar, as is left-winger Michael MacAngus, who was passed over in last year's draft.

"Ross and Rowat are going to get their names called, I don't think there's any doubt about that," said Parker. "I'd like to think Leffler will get an opportunity and maybe there's an outside shot on a guy like MacAngus. But those first two for sure will be in the top three rounds. It's exciting for them. Those kids have worked very hard. You're hopeful for them to have success that day."

June 27 (CHL import draft) -- The Euro draft could have an immediate impact on Regina's projected 2007-08 lineup, which lacks scoring punch. The Pats will be looking to unearth a skilled forward while picking from the middle of the pack amongst the 60 CHL franchises.

"The success rate is obviously a lot greater for the teams that pick in the top 15 or 20 of that draft," noted Parker, whose team hit a home run in selecting Czech sniper Petr Kalus with the No. 3 pick in 2005, then had mixed results with Niko Snellman at No. 41 in 2006.