PDA

View Full Version : Telus Cup

Tinner
04-24-2007, 08:29 AM
The Optimist Rebels won their first game of the national midget championship defeating Ontario 2 - 0.

Scoring for RD were Mappin (shorthanded) and Fraser (pp) both Rebel draft picks. Game star for RD was Cory Campbell, who is the smallest player in the tourney, but very skilled.

Other scores were PA Mintos 2, Vancouver 1 and Quebec 3 St. Johns 1. Landon Ferrero looked good for a young Vancouver team.

Triton
04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
How was the opening ceremonies? I heard the building was packed.

I'm coming Thursday for the rest of the tournament...stupid work!

GO! MINTOS GO!

Shinyshoes
04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I have some tickets for these games to give away if anyone is interested.

just about every game, including tonights @ 7.

Email me if you are interested.

Shinyshoes@shaw.ca

Triton
04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow 10-0 Chiefs over the Leafs.The Leafs only lost 1 this season heading into this tourny and now have lost 2 in a row.Chiefs haven't given up a goal.

Mintos and Chiefs only 2 teams at 2-0,after the Mintos beat the blizzard 3-1.Stupid ref in our game called EVERYTHING,even the one where the Quebec player tripped over his players stick and we got the penalty.

Tinner
04-25-2007, 07:20 AM
canadian eh......a bunch of us always stand in the NE corner of the rink. Look for someone wearing a Rebel jacket and hat or a Telus Cup, sand colored pull over jacket.

Triton
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
canadian eh......a bunch of us always stand in the NE corner of the rink. Look for someone wearing a Rebel jacket and hat or a Telus Cup, sand colored pull over jacket.

Look for the guy with the Raider hat.Whats this about not being able to bring in horns and such?

Triton
04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
5-0 for the Chiefs over the Giants and 7-0 so far with Quebec leading Sault Ste.Marie.Mintos won 3-2 and will face the Chiefs tomorrow.

Chiefs have yet to surrender a goal.They will tomorrow.Both teams 3-0.

I think the playoff round figured out just a matter of positioning.

nivek_wahs
04-26-2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=107&cat=40&id=970765&more=

Rebels roll over Leafs

By PETER JAMES
Advocate staff
Apr 25 2007

Rebels 10 Maple Leafs 0

The Red Deer Optimist Rebels had King Midas touch on Tuesday night: everything they touched turned to gold.

The Rebels exploded for 10 goals against the St. John’s Maple Leafs and Marc Boulanger recorded his second shutout in as many nights in the 10-0 Red Deer romp.

“(Monday) we weren’t firing very well but today the boys found the guns,” Rebels forward Landon Hiebert said. “It was good stuff out there tonight.”

Game star Kyle Reynolds led the way with a goal and three assists, Hiebert scored a second period hat trick and Elliot Marion scored twice in the third. Darren Windle, Erik Slemp and Kaare Odegard tallied singles.

“The pucks were bouncing our way. People were working hard, skating hard, dumping the puck in and forechecking hard,” Reynolds said.

“Everything was going and it showed out there.”

The Rebels built a 4-0 lead in the first period on the strength of a pair of power-play goals. They doubled their lead in the second and scored twice more in the final frame.

“We got just got on a roll and a lot of pucks went in the net,” Rebels coach Brent Fudge said.

Hiebert had one of the prettiest goals of the night when he faked a drop pass to freeze a St. John’s defender on a short-handed rush and then fired the puck past goaltender Andrew Caines.

The Rebels scored every way possible: on the power play, even strength and short handed. Some goals were beautiful passing plays, others were hard shots from the point and some were the result of lucky bounces.

Boulanger made 15 saves to bring his shutout streak to 120 minutes. The Leafs’ best chances came in the first period and Boulanger made the big saves when he was called upon.

“We’ve been defensively sound. We’ve been breaking out well and transitioning the puck well,” Hiebert said.

“Everything’s been clicking for us, which has been perfect.”

Andrew Caines played all but one minute and three seconds of the game for the Leafs, allowing 10 goals on 48 shots.

Kyle Downer made one save, spelling off Caines briefly in the second period.

St. John’s coach Rick Babstock had a long talk with his players after the game.

He wasn’t happy with their effort throughout the contest.

“We didn’t show up. Red Deer’s got a great little hockey club over there. They work hard, they’re disciplined. There’s not much more to it than that,” Babstock said.

The lopsided loss drops the Leafs to 0-2, but Babstock believes if they can right the ship they can still grab a playoff spot.

“Usually two wins will get you into Saturday, and I think that’s the goal for every team. It doesn’t matter what two they have to be.”

Things don’t get any easier for the Newfoundlanders today. They meet undefeated Prince Albert at 3:30 p.m. at the Arena.

The Rebels take on the Vancouver Northwest Giants at 7 p.m. at the Arena.

The game will decide which team takes home the Pacific region title. They didn’t contest the series earlier this month because both had already qualified for the tournament.

“It’s a big game. (A win) will likely give us a guarantee of a semifinal, plus another flag hanging in our building,” Fudge said.

“We’re going to be fired up and I’m sure they’re going to be fired up, because they’re still in the mix.”

Fudge said the Rebels will be able to put Tuesday’s big win in perspective and get ready for the Giants.

“I don’t think this will go to their heads,” he said.

“We’ve done this before. We’re at home and we want to win the Pacific. Our guys will be ready.”

There were a few tense moments at the end of the game as the Rebels’ physical play riled the Leafs. A few small scuffles ensued but cooler heads prevailed and there were no penalties.

Babstock said the Rebels forechecked too aggressively once they had built up their lead.

“I thought they were kind of cheap,” Babstock said.

“I don’t think it showed a lot of class.”

● Rebels forward Bowen Fraser was a scratch for the tournament. The Rebels carried 21 players during the season, but Hockey Canada rules only allow a 20-player roster for the tournament.

Contact Peter James at pjames@reddeeradvocate.com

Tinner
04-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Quote; "Babstock said the Rebels forechecked too aggressively once they had built up their lead.

“I thought they were kind of cheap,” Babstock said.

“I don’t think it showed a lot of class.”

Nice of the coach to throw his 2 cents worth in. He's mad because the Rebels continued to play the style of play that they played all game and felt the Rebels were running up the score. I guess the part he didn't see was the fact that his team continued to try and run individual players from the Rebels. If his concern was that the Rebels should lay off he should have told his team the same thing. I find it hard to beleive that you would want someone to call off the dogs when your not prepared to do it. And, how does he know that they didn't! The last 3 or 4 goals that were scored by the Rebels weren't because they "kept pouring it on", but more so because St. Johns couldn't keep up and seemed to be watching the game.

RebelsFan
04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Is the tie breaking situation goals for and against? Many times teams have to run up the score to protect themselves from losing a tie breaker.

nivek_wahs
04-27-2007, 01:50 AM
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=107&cat=40&id=971551&more=

Boulanger extends streak

By DANNY RODE
Advocate staff
Apr 26 2007

Rebels 5 Giants 0

Red Deer Optimist Rebels netminder Marc Boulanger is putting together a record at the 2007 Telus Cup midget AAA national hockey championship that is impressive, to say the least.

The 17-year-old native of Sundre recorded his third straight shutout in blanking the Vancouver Northwest Giants 5-0 before a full house at the Red Deer Arena on Wednesday.

There’s no official record book available, but even the most veteran observer can’t recall a team recording three straight shutouts, never mind one goaltender.

But Boulanger is taking it all in stride.

“The team has been playing great in front of me,” he said. “It’s not hard to play behind a team that’s continually blocking shots, clearing out in front of the net and clearing away rebounds. They’re doing everything they can to help me.

“I give the other team a lot of credit, they played hard, but when we’re playing like this, I feel no pressure at all.”

Boulanger earned every bit of Wednesday’s shutout as he made a number of outstanding saves among the 23 shots he faced. He absolutely stole a goal from Vancouver late in the second period with Red Deer holding a 1-0 lead.

He somehow went post-to-post and got his right toe on a rebound shot that appeared labeled.

“I anticipated the puck was going to him and luckily I got there in time to get my toe on it,” said Boulanger.

The brilliant save didn’t go unnoticed.

“That was a tremendous save and gave us a boost going into the third period,” said Rebels forward Cass Mappin, who had a goal and an assist in the final frame.

“That was a great save,” agreed Rebels defenceman Kaare Odegard. “He’s in a zone . . . three in a row, the kid’s playing well.”

Odegard said the defence tried not to think about the shutout string.

“We can’t, we have to focus on our jobs. Maybe near the end when it was 5-0 we tried to make sure he got it.”

The Rebels were brilliant in the third period, limiting the Giants to four harmless shots.

Boulanger’s play doesn’t surprise head coach Brent Fudge.

“I’ve been saying all year he’s an exceptional goaltender with a bright future in the game.”

Boulanger is the property of the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League.

The win gave the Rebels a 3-0 record and a tie with the Prince Albert Mintos, who they face today at 7 p.m. at the Arena.

The Giants gave the host squad their toughest test so far.

“They have a real good skating team and they were on us all the time,” said Mappin. “But by the end we did a better job using our bodies and our strength along the boards.”

The Rebels didn’t seem as sharp early in the game, but a pair of penalties gave the Giants some early momentum.

“So far, all the power plays we have seen we dominated until this game,” said Odegard. “That affected us early, but we did a good job of adjusting.”

After a scoreless opening period, Eric Slemp gave the Rebels a 1-0 lead at 4:46 of the middle stanza when he redirected a Matt Fraser pass past Vancouver goaltender Graeme Gordon.

The third period opened with the Giants taking a pair of penalties 13 seconds apart and Kyle Reynolds made them pay with a screened blast from just inside the blueline.

Mappin, who was left all alone in front, made it 3-0 at 5:45 and Corey Campbell beat Gordon on a scramble at 6:08. That was Gordon’s night, despite the fact he was outstanding with 38 saves. Kyle Nielson came on and allowed Reynolds’ second goal on a tip in at 8:43.

“I didn’t see much difference between the two teams in the first 40 minutes, in fact we could have been tied or ahead, except for their goaltender,” said Giants head coach Jon Calvano. “But in the third, we took some undisciplined penalties.”

Calvano knows he needs to get more from his offence.

“I thought our goalie (Gordon) was outstanding, but their guys stepped up and we need to do the same if we have any chance of winning.”

The win was twice as important to Red Deer as they received the Pacific regional championship banner and trophy and the gold medals following the game.

The game replaced the B.C.-Alberta championship series because with Red Deer the host team both teams were automatically in the national final.

But Red Deer wanted that extra title.

“We felt it was a great thing to win, as we didn’t want to be known as a team that just hosted the tournament,” said Mappin.,

“It’s been our goal all year not to use the bye as the host team . . . we wanted to be here on our terms,” added Boulanger.

● Reynolds has taken over the tournament scoring lead with four goals and three assists . . . He’s followed by teammates Elliott Marion (2g,4a) and Odegard (1g,4a).

Rebels30
04-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Could anyone tell me the price of tickets for the games in the Centrium?

:)

raider guy
04-28-2007, 01:09 AM
what did you guys think of the red deer pa game hows the mintos looking

Tinner
04-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Bronze Medal game 10 am Centrium - Quebec vs Vancouver

Gold Medal game 2 pm Centrium (TSN) - Prince Albert vs Red Deer

Should be 2 very entertaining games.

nivek_wahs
04-29-2007, 07:53 AM
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11728/la_id/1/ss_id/22624/game_id/1199.htm

Vancouver NW Giants 2 - Red Deer Optimist Rebels 3

OPTIMIST REBELS ONE STEP CLOSER TO NATIONAL TITLE

It was close in the end, but the Red Deer Optimist Rebels are into the gold medal game at the 2007 TELUS Cup following a 3-2 win over the Vancouver North West Giants in their semi-final on Saturday night.

The Giants and Optimist Rebels went back-and-forth for much of the opening 20 minutes, but it was Red Deer’s Matt Fraser who got his team on the board first, scoring with just 50 seconds to go in the first period.

“Fraser has played well all week and he had a good goal to get us started,” Optimist Rebels head coach Brent Fudge said after the game. “He has been a big player for us all week, and he was again tonight.”

The Giants wasted no time in getting themselves on the board in the second period, as team captain Matthew Bell capitalized on a Vancouver powerplay to knot the game 1-1.

Red Deer, however, would take back the lead, getting two quick goals from Chase Schaber and Landon Hiebert just 40 seconds apart close to the midway point of the middle frame.

Hiebert’s goal spelled the end for Giants’ goaltender Graeme Gordon, as he was replaced by Kyle Nielsen for the remainder of the game.

The score remained 3-1 for much of the third period until Vancouver turned it on with just under six minutes left.

Not long after Optimist Rebels goaltender Marc Boulanger made a miraculous toe save, which immediately followed a shot off the Red Deer post, Giants defenseman Stefan Elliott’s point shot found its way behind Boulanger, pulling the Pacific Region representatives to within one.

But that was as close as the Giants would get, as Boulanger and the Optimist Rebels’ defense shut the door the rest of the way, sending Red Deer to their first national championship game since making back-to-back appearances in 1994 and 1995.

Cass Mappin, who helped set up Schaber’s goal, was named Player of the Game for the Optimist Rebels, while Elliott picked up the honour for the Giants.

- - -

Game Information
Game Number 17 Round Semi-Final
Arena Red Deer Arena City, Country Red Deer, AB , Canada
Month / Day / Year 04/28/2007 Time (local) 06:00 PM MST
Attendance 1740 Game Status Final

Box Score 1 2 3 Final
Vancouver NW Giants(PAC) 0 1 1 2
Red Deer Optimist Rebels(HST) 1 2 0 3

Goals/Penalties
First Period
Goals:
19:10 HST 12 Matt Fraser (15 Erik Slemp )

Penalties:
05:54 PAC 9 Chris Hoe (Holding-2 minutes)
05:54 HST 19 Chase Schaber (High Sticking-2 minutes)
10:39 HST 2 Darren Windle (Closing Hand on Puck-2 minutes)
11:49 PAC 4 Jamie Leveille (Slashing-2 minutes)
13:45 HST 21 Dallas Goodrunning (Tripping-2 minutes)

Second Period
Goals:
02:04 PAC 8 Matthew Bell (20 Landon Ferraro ) PP
06:47 HST 19 Chase Schaber (6 Trevor Bauer 16 Cass Mappin)
07:27 HST 14 Landon Hiebert (15 Erik Slemp ) PP

Penalties:
01:03 HST 11 Jordan Hale (Cross Checking-2 minutes)
02:41 PAC 10 Dustin Mowrey (Holding-2 minutes)
06:56 PAC 35 Graeme Gordon (Delay of Game-2 minutes)
18:32 HST 5 Kaare Odegard (Hooking-2 minutes)

Third Period
Goals:
16:52 PAC 6 Stefan Elliott (21 Brandon Thompson )

Penalties:
03:35 HST 2 Darren Windle (Holding-2 minutes)
06:51 PAC 15 Shane Harle (Interference-2 minutes)
12:03 HST 17 John Digness (Interference-2 minutes)

Goaltenders
Vancouver NW Giants 35 Graeme Gordon On 1/00:00 Off 2/07:27
1 Kyle Nielsen On 2/07:27 Off 3/19:12
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 1 Marc Boulanger On 1/00:00 Off 3/20:00

Shots on Goal 1 2 3 Final
Vancouver NW Giants 8 10 12 30
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 13 11 8 32

Player of Game
Vancouver NW Giants 6 Stefan Elliott
Red Deer Optimist Rebels 16 Cass Mappin

Officials
Referee Lance McKinnon
Lines People Steve Cochrane, Scott Sharun
Goal Judge Don Leitza, Albert Wandler

Triton
04-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Mintos are your 2007 Telus Cup Champs.I was glad to have been there to witness such an event.It's an experience I'll never forget.Too bad the seats were assigned and the Minto fans were split up.Alot of the people in Red Deer couldn't believe how much support the Mintos got from all of us.We were by far the best fans at the tournament.

Triton
09-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Gotta delete this thread cause it's AAA talk right Rebel39. It's so forbidden on here and is completely harming everyone in sight.