PDA

View Full Version : Future is up in the air for Tri-City

Mileflames
03-04-2005, 05:39 PM

3.2 Include source with any posted articles: Please remember to include the source of any articles you are posting to the site if you are pasting the text of the article in instead of just a link. Also, do not include any information that was obtained via a pay-for-access system or newspaper and is not freely available to the public without expressed written consent.

www.vancouversun.com (http://www.vancouversun.com)

Chipper
03-04-2005, 06:01 PM
I hope for Tri City fans it dosen't happen, and as for small market teams around the league it will not be a good thing if owners start selling to the highest bidder It will be a sad day! Who would be next? I don't even want to think of that.

HAF
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm really praying it doesnt happen. We love our Ams and it would break the hearts of the many of us that do support the team. Hockey night at the Coliseum is my church and to have it ripped away from me and my family would be intolerable. Who would we root for then? Certainly not the Chiefs! Definately not Portland.

Rooselk
03-05-2005, 10:37 AM
I was listening to Vancouver's MOJO 730 radio last night and this subject came up. I'd hate to see the Tri-Cities lose the Ams. Granted, it would be another WHL team within easy driving distance from me but I'd still rather see the Ams stay put. And I can't imagine that the Giants would be too pleased about this despite what they may say in public. The radio talk last night also mentioned Victoria as a possible new home for the Ams even though there is now an ECHL team there.

I hope the Ams can be saved.

BWK
03-05-2005, 11:13 AM
I too hate to hear that the Ams may be moved and hope that it doesn't happen.

This league was built on the small markets. Teams in Tri-Cities, Swift, PA and Brandon are as important as any team. The roots of this league are in small town Saskachewan and small markets are what made it great.

Junior hockey is cyclical and I remember a time when a player was traded to Tri-Cities, it was like hitting the lottery. Given an opportunity that time can come agian.

RunTheGoalie
03-08-2005, 08:34 AM
The league was built on the small markets, but if the small market cannot pay the bills, then relocation is inevitable.

Thats how Kenniwick got the team in the first place. New Westminster couldnt continue, so off to Washington State they went.

That said, if the Americans are a profitable organization, or at least breaking even, then it would be extremely disapointing to see them sold for profit.

As for potential relocation sites, Edmonton has a standing offer of $5 million, and is a metro area of 1 million without a WHL team. Chilliwack does not currently have a suitable arena, and already has a team in the area. Aside from the mess it would make of the divisional alignment, I personally think Edmonton would be a better location.

Beaner
03-08-2005, 10:20 AM
The radio talk last night also mentioned Victoria as a possible new home for the Ams even though there is now an ECHL team there.

Victoria already has the ECHL and BCHL. There is not a snowballs chance in heck that they could support yet another semi-pro Hockey team. Nanaimo on the island has also been mentioned, but they would most likely have to lose their BCHL team as well.

grumphy
03-08-2005, 10:46 AM
The radio talk last night also mentioned Victoria as a possible new home for the Ams even though there is now an ECHL team there.
God!!! for the players sake through out the league I hope that damn ferry ride dosen't return. nothing like sleeping on the bus cause you missed the last ferry out :laugh:

Sput
03-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I really don't see Edmonton as an option now with the Road Runners there. If the NHL gets the poop in a scoop and gets back on the ice, the two teams make a draw from two different demographics. The NHL as the higher ticket, and the AHL as the family draw. Moving a WHL team in there would just split the draw of the family ticket, and neither team would survive. They also had the Ice as an expansion team, they didn't get the support, so they moved to Cranbrook.

ScottyWazz
03-08-2005, 12:39 PM
"We turned down Edmonton on Monday," Porter said. "They were offering a league-record amount for a WHL team, but we like the league, the owners and we don't want to get out of the WHL, if at all possible."

Article Goodness (http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/hockey/americans/story/6241327p-6118208c.html)

As for Edmonton with the Road Runners, I saw on the Shaw TV broadcast the Oilers ownership would rather have the WHL than the AHL. There was also rumbling that Edmonton and Saskatoon would switch teams; which is far-fetched as it is, but they are a little whacky in Edmonton.

tazndevil
03-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Travel costs for the AHL teams to go to Edmonton are a way too high. In order to correct this, look for the Oilers to move their AHL team to the Midwest (Kansas, etc.).

I know the Flames are waiting for the lockout to end, then they will put their AHL team in Oklahoma City.

Plain and simple--the Oilers want WHL hockey, and they aren't going to stop until they get it.

I have heard many rumors this year about teams moving to Edmonton, but 2 in particular which have lasted the whole year.

#1. KOOTENAY back to Edmonton. Personally I can't see it. The Ice have great support, and re-alignment would be a nightmare.

#2. PRINCE ALBERT to Edmonton. This one makes a lot more sense, especially with re-alignment, but I can't see it either.

Personally, I think if the Ams go anywhere, it will be within the US. Another Oregon team would be sweet, but maybe Montana or Idaho.

Just my thoughts

Taz

grumphy
03-08-2005, 01:33 PM
I think your assumptions are pretty well right on, if not that's two of us on the wrong wave length :laugh: