PDA

View Full Version : Peter is gone

Zookeeper
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=25185&sc=4

Peter Anholt is out of the game

The Prince Albert Daily Herald

Next winter the Raiders will have a new coach.
On Wednesday, the Prince Albert Raiders Hockey Club announced the contract of head coach Peter Anholt will not be renewed when it expires May 31.
Donn Clark, Raiders general manager, had a somber tone while discussing the club’s decision.
“Peter is a well respected member of our community and has a long history with the Prince Albert Raiders, which has made this a very decision for myself and our organization,” he said.
The Raiders’ board of directors asked Clark to make recommendations to improve the team. Based on his suggestions, the club didn’t renew Anholt’s contract.
Since he was hired in 2002, Anholt has compiled a regular season record of 137 wins and 193 losses.
Clark doesn’t believe the Raiders played to their best capabilities consistently over the last couple seasons.
“We have to be better than that.”
For more on this story, read Thursday's Daily Herald

Triton
04-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Can you say Rob Daum?

Shortys
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
www.whl.ca

Peter Anholt’s Contract Expires with Raiders
Created: Apr 25, 2007
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders of the Western Hockey League announce that the contract of Head Coach Peter Anholt will not be renewed when it expires May 31, 2007.

Anholt has been the Head Coach of the Raiders since December, 2002 and has compiled a regular season record of 137-153-16-24 with the team in his second tenure as head coach. Anholt also was the Raiders Head Coach in 1988-89.

“Peter is a well respected member of our community and has a long history with the Prince Albert Raiders which has made this a very difficult decision for myself and our organization”, commented General Manager Donn Clark. “However, the past two seasons we felt the team did not play to its’ capabilities consistently. We would like to thank Peter for his hard work and dedication over the past four and a half seasons and wish him and his family well in their future endeavors.”

The Raiders will begin a search for a new Head Coach immediately.

Edit - Sorry I guess this is just a reguritation of what the PA Herald said :spineyes:

Sabes
04-25-2007, 07:09 PM
pretty much could see it coming

Wildeyes
04-25-2007, 07:21 PM
A little birdy told me that one of the coaches at the telus cup. not gonna say who tho

Triton
04-25-2007, 08:02 PM
A little birdy told me that one of the coaches at the telus cup. not gonna say who tho

and a little Leonard told me a while ago,he's happy where he is.

hockey24_7
04-25-2007, 09:11 PM
he made it all the way to the Telus Cup? He has nothing left to prove in the midget AAA ranks. He would be a great addition to the Raider coaching staff and it would be a great step for him. He must be doing something right, 2 years in a row to the Telus Cup. applause

Dwight Schrute
04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
daum, or leonard id be very pleased with either.
good job clarke and raider board

raider guy
04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
i think its time to get rid of clark from the gm position, bring in a new face and see what happens. get a fresh start

Zookeeper
04-26-2007, 10:10 PM
i think its time to get rid of clark from the gm position, bring in a new face and see what happens. get a fresh start

I agree, it is time for Clark to go, he should of been gone years ago. Clean house and start all over with a young very promising team.

nivek_wahs
04-27-2007, 01:58 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=25377&sc=5

Last updated at 10:46 AM on 26/04/07
Raiders part with Anholt
Coach will not have contract renewed; search for replacement to begin immediately

CARTER HAYDU
The Prince Albert Daily Herald

The Prince Albert Raiders will have a new coach next season.

The Raiders announced Wednesday that the contract of head coach Peter Anholt will not be renewed when it expires on May 31.

Raiders general manager Donn Clark had a sombre tone while discussing the club's decision.

"Peter is a well-respected member of our community and has a long history with the Prince Albert Raiders, which has made this a very difficult decision for myself and our organization," said Clark.

The Raiders' board of directors asked Clark to make recommendations to improve the team. Based on his suggestions, the club did not renew Anholt's contract.

Since he was hired in December 2002, Anholt has compiled a regular-season record of 137-153-16-24 with the team in his second tenure as Prince Albert's head coach. Anholt, who played with the Raiders during the club's Tier 2 days, was also the head coach in 1988-89.

Anholt has also coached in the Western Hockey League with Red Deer, Kelowna and Seattle.

Clark doesn't believe the Raiders played to their best capabilities consistently over the last couple seasons.

"We have to be better than that."

As for the status of the assistant coaches, Clark said they are staying on for now. Once a new head coach is hired, the club will see how everyone works together.

The search for a new coach will begin immediately. Clark expects several applications for the position, as this is the time of year hockey clubs generally fill coaching positions.

Clark said the club is looking for a good communicator who is familiar with the "new game" of hockey and can teach and discipline young players, who range from ages 16-20.

Clark doesn't see letting Anholt go as a "him or me" situation, at least not from Clark's perspective.

As it does every year, the board will evaluate the general manager position during the summer.

Club president Dale McFee said the decision to let Anholt go wasn't easy for the board.

"(These are) the toughest days I've experienced in the Raiders domain."

McFee, who played with the WHL Raiders in the mid-1980s, considers Anholt a friend and a dedicated coach.

However, he said the board needed to make decisions based on what would equip the team with the best tools possible.

"In a small market, we need to make the playoffs on a regular basis."

Anholt declined to comment "at this time."

chaydu@paherald.sk.ca

Dwight Schrute
04-27-2007, 02:56 AM
i honestly dont see any reason to keep knoblauch either.im certainly intrigued by leonard. but id also be interested in seeing how manson would do as a head coach

nivek_wahs
04-27-2007, 03:13 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=6b806181-6321-44f4-9c72-f25bae52c1fe

P.A. Raiders looking for new coach

Doug McConachie, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, April 27, 2007

The Prince Albert Raiders squeaked into this year's playoffs, while last year the team failed to make it to the Western Hockey League post-season. As a result, the Raiders won't renew the contract of head coach Peter Anholt.

P.A. is looking for a new coach immediately and hope to have one in place by late June," Raiders general manager Donn Clark said Thursday. Assistant coaches Kris Knoblauch and Dave Manson have been told their status is in limbo until a new coach is hired and decides who he wants on the bench.

"I have no problems with either of them, but I don't want to saddle a new coach (with previous decisions)," Clark said in a telephone interview from Okotoks, Alta., where he is scouting a provincial bantam tournament.

"I think we left a little (on the table) the past two years," Clark said in explaining his decision not to renew Anholt's contract after it expires at the end of May. "We didn't play up to our capabilities."

Anholt was named coach of the Raiders in December of 2002 by Clark. P.A. also finished out of the playoffs that season, but finished second and third in the East Division the following two years. In 2004-05, the Raiders went to the East Division final, but in 2005-06 fell to fifth.

This past season, the Raiders all but collapsed in the final two months, losing 13 of 16 and getting into the final playoff spot over the Saskatoon Blades by defeating the Blades in the second last game of the season.

Clark said he has already had a couple of inquiring telephone calls about the position, but he wants the information to get out so anybody interested can make a decision. "We think it's a pretty good opportunity in Prince Albert. We've got a good nucleus of players."

Clark said what he's looking for in a coach is someone who can "adapt and change as fast as the game is changing," as well as an individual who can "teach 16 to 20 year olds . . . and that is a really big challenge."

There's no urgency to naming a replacement for Anholt, who also coached in 1988-89 and compiled a career 137-153-16-24 record, but Clark said he would like to have someone available by the WHL scheduling meetings later in June.

One name that immediately comes to mind, at least in the Prince Albert region, is that of P.A. Mintos AAA midget coach Tim Leonard, whose club won the Telus Cup last year and is trying to defend its title this year in Red Deer, Alta.

dmcconachie@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

nivek_wahs
05-05-2007, 07:14 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=5bb1755a-d1b4-4785-a77a-cf4a60263ded

Dismissal by Raiders tough for Anholt to swallow
Even in transition season team still made WHL playoffs

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, May 05, 2007

PRINCE ALBERT -- As reporters peppered former Prince Albert Raiders head coach Peter Anholt with questions Friday, he responded with one of his own.

"I'll throw it to you guys in the media," said Anholt, whose dismissal was announced April 26. "Where did you guys pick us to finish this past season? I'll just leave it at that.

"We got into the playoffs and finished ahead of a lot of teams that didn't." Outside expectations for the Raiders weren't lofty. In a pre-season poll, members of the Western Major Junior Hockey Writers Association pegged Prince Albert to finish 20th in the 21- team league. Only the expansion Chilliwack Bruins were given a grimmer forecast.

The Raiders (27-39-3-3) finished 16th overall and general manager Donn Clark announced Anholt's termination April 26. Anholt waited until now to respond, saying he didn't want to deflect attention from the Prince Albert Mintos, who repeated as national midget champions last Sunday.

When he broke his silence Friday, Anholt shouldered responsibility for an underachieving team in 2005-06 when the Raiders missed the playoffs with a 25-36-1-10 record. This season didn't figure to be much rosier without the likes of Kyle Chipchura, Dane Byers and Aki Seitsonen.

"Going into the past season, we knew it was a rebuilding year," said Anholt. "We bit the bullet in a lot of situations to do that and pay the price for that." The Raiders went into a freefall down the stretch -- losing 13 of 16 games -- but rescued their playoff berth with a win over the Saskatoon Blades in the second-last game of the season. Asked whether that slide sealed his fate, Anholt said: "It could have. I can't tell you. It's hard to think how other people are thinking.

"In some ways, being in second place at Christmas time might have been a bad thing because it gave us a preconceived idea of where we were at." The Moose Jaw Warriors and the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings have coaching vacancies, but Anholt said he has not had any contact "with any teams, anywhere at any level." The 46-yearold said he has no immediate plans to leave Prince Albert, where his wife, Sharon, runs a quilt shop.

Their 12-year-old son Matt is about to start his lacrosse season.

This season, Anholt moved into third place on the WHL's all-time list of games coached.

With 973 games, Anholt ranks behind only Ken Hodge (1,411) and Ernie McLean (1,067).

Quizzed whether he'd be working in hockey next winter, Anholt said: "I wouldn't be opposed to it. Whether I foresee myself doing it, I don't know. I'll have to look at the opportunities and of course, I have a family to feed. That's all part of the process, too." Anholt's association with the Raiders began more than 30 years ago when he attended training camp as a 15-year-old prospect from Naicam. He cracked the roster full-time as an 18-year-old in the 1978-79 season and his overtime goal clinched the Centennial Cup national title.

The Raiders won the national title again in 1981. Anholt began his coaching career in 1986 as an assistant with the Raiders. In addition to two head coaching stints with the Raiders (1988-89 and 2002-06), he has coached WHL teams in Red Deer, Kelowna and Seattle.

"I love coaching, I love being part of a team and I love being part of building a team," said Anholt. "The highs and lows, once you get used to them, it's hard to not have that anymore." cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Dwight Schrute
05-06-2007, 03:26 AM
maybe if leonard coaches the raiders anholt will coach the mintos

Triton
05-06-2007, 11:51 AM
maybe if leonard coaches the raiders anholt will coach the mintos

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Plus I don't think Leonard is going to take the job.I think Anholt might be highly considered for the Oil Kings job.

Dwight Schrute
05-06-2007, 02:28 PM
i think leonard will take the raider job if they offer it to him
well it would be a smart move as he wouldnt have to uproot his family. more money, and its a promotion.

Trav
05-06-2007, 04:04 PM
take an assistant coach's job? Blades are looking for one I think, after Trombley resigned but its likely Dave Struch will move to the bench from the stands.

Dont know much about Peter but he's not that bad of a coach is he?

Dwight Schrute
05-06-2007, 04:12 PM
take an assistant coach's job? Blades are looking for one I think, after Trombley resigned but its likely Dave Struch will move to the bench from the stands.

Dont know much about Peter but he's not that bad of a coach is he?
id love it if he coached the blades..... :D

Trav
05-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Molleken will be here for awhile yet lol. Now that I think about it though, Lorne has brought in younger coaches to be assistants since he's been here, first Mercier, then Trombley and now likely Struch or another younger guy that will hopefully take over when Lorne decides to call it quits.

Might not hurt to bring Peter in though and help out the team, especially against his old team ;).

Dwight Schrute
05-07-2007, 12:25 AM
peter is not an assitant coach he rules with an iron fist
iron fist is right, yet he's never coached a champ.or done much in the playoffs as a coach