PDA

View Full Version : Ferraro watches next generation

nivek_wahs
04-26-2007, 01:12 AM
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=107&cat=40&id=970764&more=

Ferraro watches next generation

By DANNY RODE
Advocate staff
Apr 25 2007

It’s been over 20 years since Ray Ferraro was striking fear into Western Hockey League goaltenders.

In the 1983-84 season, the native of Trail, B.C., scored 108 goals for the Brandon Wheat Kings, a record that still stands.

This year, Zach Hamill of the Everett Silvertips won the league scoring race with 93 points. Mark Derlago of Brandon led the way with 46 goals.

Ferraro understands the league has changed over the last two decades, with more emphasis on systems and defence.

“I can’t remember playing a system, which was probably not very good, but that’s the reason I got a 100 goals,” said Ferraro, who’s in Red Deer to watch his son and Red Deer Rebels prospect Landon Ferraro compete in the Telus Cup.

The younger Ferraro is the star forward for the Vancouver Northwest Giants.

“If you watch the games today, it’s all system orientated . . . the best coaches encourage the give and go, moving the puck and meld that into their systems.”

Ferraro does believe the league is better.

“It’s changed for the better . . . players are looked after better. You don’t have the bus drivers as trainers,” he said with a laugh.

The younger Ferraro, who was also born in Trail, played briefly with the WHL Rebels this season and will make the club next year as a 16-year-old.

Ray Ferraro, who played with Rebels GM and head coach Brent Sutter with the New York Islanders, feels it’s a good fit.

“It’s an awesome program,” he said. “Just look at the way it’s run. I know Brent for what he is. There’s no BS. If you work hard, you’ll be a favourite of his. If you don’t work, you’re playing for the wrong guy. I don’t anticipate one iota of a problem for Landon.

“Sure he’ll make some plays that Brent won’t be happy with, like everyone does, but effort won’t be an issue.”

Ray finds it tough to compare himself to his son.

“When I went into the league I was 18 after two years of junior B and a year of junior A,” he said.

“I also believe Landon can do some things at 15 I couldn’t do. He shoots the puck better and can skate better.

“My biggest asset was knowing where to be on the ice and my competitiveness. He has those traits as well.”

Landon Ferraro also dreamed of following his father’s footsteps into the National Hockey League.

“He always had a real solid look at the big picture,” Ferraro said. “When he was in third grade in the States he wrote a story on Martin Luther King Day on his ‘I have a dream’ speech and said his dream was to be drafted into the NHL. He knew his draft year even in Grade 3.”

Ray Ferraro spent 18 years in the NHL with six teams, scoring 408 goals and 490 assists in 1,258 games. He was drafted 88th overall in 1982 by the Hartford Whalers.

He twice scored 40 goals and played in the 1992 NHL all-star game.

Today, the 42-year-old, who retired in 2002, spends his winter working with Sportsnet and NBC.

He’s been the colour analyst for the Edmonton Oilers Sportsnet broadcasts the last two years. That led to a position with NBC. He also hosts a hockey show in Vancouver each day. “I love everything about it, except for the travel,” he said.

“I was lucky to be able to jockey my schedule so I could be here. I love watching Landon and his older brother (Matt) play whenever I can.”

Ferraro got into the broadcasting business while he was still playing in the NHL.

“The last couple of years after we were eliminated from the playoffs I worked for ESPN,” he explained.

That came out of the blue.

“One day I was called by the coordinating producer and asked if I wanted to come in and do some work for them. I arrived at 3:30 p.m. and was on the air by 11:30. I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, but apparently I was OK as they asked me back.”

Ferraro loves being around the game and has his likes and dislikes when it comes to the new NHL.

“I love the fact there’s a priority on speed and that a forward can skate down the ice and not have a 220 pound defenceman on his back,” he said.

He enjoys teams like Detroit and Buffalo, but doesn’t like teams that dump and chase.

“They get the puck, dump it in and everybody skates like hell . . . I’m not sure they know where they’re going . . . but they skate like hell and everyone crashes into the guy in front of them.”

Contact Danny Rode at drode@reddeeradvocate.com