PDA

View Full Version : Mark Fistric

rinkrat
04-26-2007, 08:44 PM
nice article on Mark...

Former Captain Pulling for a Giants' Repeat

+ Enlarge By Jesse Watts,
whl.ca

A year ago, Mark Fistric was a key player in helping the Vancouver Giants on a playoff run that would end up netting them the 2006 WHL Championship and a subsequent berth in the MasterCard Memorial Cup.

Now, the 20-year-old Edmonton, AB, product is cheering on the team he used to captain while also embarking on his first post-season experience in professional hockey in the AHL’s Calder Cup playoffs as a member of the Iowa Stars.

“I’ve been following them on the internet,” said Fistric regarding the Giants 2007 post-season run. “I know that they are doing really well and following the footsteps from last year. I know they are in the Conference final against Prince George and have a good lead.”

The 6’ 2”, 232-pound rearguard, of course, has his own playoff series to worry about, though, as his Stars are currently embroiled in an opening-round match-up with the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights.

“We match up really well against them,” said Fistric regarding their first-round opponent. “We’ve played some physical games against them this season, and it’s going to be an exciting series.”

Drafted by the Dallas Stars in the first round (28th overall) in the 2004 NHL Draft, Fistric just completed his first regular season in Des Moines, Iowa, home of the Stars’ AHL affiliate bearing the same name.

After four seasons in the WHL, Fistric said making the jump to the pro ranks was a relatively smooth transition.

“It’s been a great learning experience for me,” said Fistric of his rookie season in the AHL. “The players up here are older, bigger and stronger, and the pace is much faster.

“For me, the biggest thing was getting used to reading the play, and making plays a lot quicker because in this league guys are a lot smarter with and without the puck, so you have to make decisions a lot faster,” he said.

Fistric, however, managed to adapt to the AHL level without much difficulty, and has become a big part of Iowa’s defense corps. The only player to appear in all 80 regular-season games, Fistric managed two goals and 22 assists, and finished second among the team’s regulars with a +3 rating.

“I felt I had a really good opportunity here at the start of the year,” said Fistric. “We had some injuries early on, and it gave me the chance to step up earn more ice time, and gain the confidence of the coaching staff and my teammates by showing that I am capable of playing in situations that maybe other younger guys aren’t ready to play in.

“I think my physical play has enabled me to have an impact and have a good season, but I also managed to put up 24 points, showing that I can contribute to the offense, too,” he added.

His impressive play as a rookie has also caught the attention of the big club in Dallas. Fistric says he receives plenty of feedback from the NHL team on how his progression and development.

“(Dallas Stars’ Director of Player Development) Andy Moog works closely with the prospects, and he comes to talk to us on a regular basis,” said Fistric. “He let me know that I’m making good progress, and that I should continue to work hard. He talks about things to work on like supporting my D partner a bit better, and getting shots through a little quicker.

“It’s good to get the feedback, and know what areas they want you to improve upon,” said Fistric.

While he’s hoping for a lengthy post-season run of his own with the Stars, Fistric will also continue to keep up on the Giants’ quest for a second WHL title.

“I wish them all the best and I’m pulling for them to repeat as WHL Champions and take home that Memorial Cup,” he said.

langdak
04-26-2007, 11:47 PM
nice article on Mark...

Former Captain Pulling for a Giants' Repeat

+ Enlarge By Jesse Watts,
whl.ca

A year ago, Mark Fistric was a key player in helping the Vancouver Giants on a playoff run that would end up netting them the 2006 WHL Championship and a subsequent berth in the MasterCard Memorial Cup.

Now, the 20-year-old Edmonton, AB, product is cheering on the team he used to captain while also embarking on his first post-season experience in professional hockey in the AHL’s Calder Cup playoffs as a member of the Iowa Stars.

“I’ve been following them on the internet,” said Fistric regarding the Giants 2007 post-season run. “I know that they are doing really well and following the footsteps from last year. I know they are in the Conference final against Prince George and have a good lead.”

The 6’ 2”, 232-pound rearguard, of course, has his own playoff series to worry about, though, as his Stars are currently embroiled in an opening-round match-up with the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights.

“We match up really well against them,” said Fistric regarding their first-round opponent. “We’ve played some physical games against them this season, and it’s going to be an exciting series.”

Drafted by the Dallas Stars in the first round (28th overall) in the 2004 NHL Draft, Fistric just completed his first regular season in Des Moines, Iowa, home of the Stars’ AHL affiliate bearing the same name.

After four seasons in the WHL, Fistric said making the jump to the pro ranks was a relatively smooth transition.

“It’s been a great learning experience for me,” said Fistric of his rookie season in the AHL. “The players up here are older, bigger and stronger, and the pace is much faster.

“For me, the biggest thing was getting used to reading the play, and making plays a lot quicker because in this league guys are a lot smarter with and without the puck, so you have to make decisions a lot faster,” he said.

Fistric, however, managed to adapt to the AHL level without much difficulty, and has become a big part of Iowa’s defense corps. The only player to appear in all 80 regular-season games, Fistric managed two goals and 22 assists, and finished second among the team’s regulars with a +3 rating.

“I felt I had a really good opportunity here at the start of the year,” said Fistric. “We had some injuries early on, and it gave me the chance to step up earn more ice time, and gain the confidence of the coaching staff and my teammates by showing that I am capable of playing in situations that maybe other younger guys aren’t ready to play in.

“I think my physical play has enabled me to have an impact and have a good season, but I also managed to put up 24 points, showing that I can contribute to the offense, too,” he added.

His impressive play as a rookie has also caught the attention of the big club in Dallas. Fistric says he receives plenty of feedback from the NHL team on how his progression and development.

“(Dallas Stars’ Director of Player Development) Andy Moog works closely with the prospects, and he comes to talk to us on a regular basis,” said Fistric. “He let me know that I’m making good progress, and that I should continue to work hard. He talks about things to work on like supporting my D partner a bit better, and getting shots through a little quicker.

“It’s good to get the feedback, and know what areas they want you to improve upon,” said Fistric.

While he’s hoping for a lengthy post-season run of his own with the Stars, Fistric will also continue to keep up on the Giants’ quest for a second WHL title.

“I wish them all the best and I’m pulling for them to repeat as WHL Champions and take home that Memorial Cup,” he said.

Good to hear Mark is doing will in the AHL.

Its unfortunate that his crosscheck on Torjdman in the Memorial Cup last year left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Good luck in the playoffs though.

Section_Z
04-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Fistric learns value of hard work from father
Lindsay Kramer | NHL.com correspondent Apr 30, 2007, 12:00 PM EDT

Iowa Stars' rookie defenseman Mark Fistric, a first-round pick in 2004, scored two goals and 22 assists in the regular season.

Iowa Stars rookie defenseman Mark Fistric isn’t exactly sure what his father, Boris, does on his job as a boilermaker in Edmonton. But Mark is certain how Boris does it.

“All I know is that it’s hard work,’’ Mark said. “He’s one of those guys who has no excuses.’’

For the record, Boris’ job entails making many of the big components and containers used in gas, oil and power plants. It’s a hot, sweaty, hands-on job that Boris has been doing for 25 years now, ever since he retired as a minor-league hockey player.

Boris can’t remember missing many days on the job. There was one morning when a malfunctioning alarm clock made him late. Regardless, exactly what Boris does isn’t the point. The lesson is that you sign up for a task, and barring something extreme like a broken jaw, you keep punching the clock.

Just like Mark did this season, skating in all 80 of Iowa’s regular season games and its first five playoff contests.

“I just play until I can’t play no more,’’ he said. “When you push yourself you make yourself better. You always have to find the good in things.’’

This season, Lindsay Kramer, NHL.com's AHL correspondent, profiles an up-and-coming player each week. Lindsay's AHL notebook appears each Thursday on NHL.com.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related Links:

AHL Update / Spotlight archive

NHL.com's AHL index

AHL Official site

It’s been easy for the Stars to find the potentially great in Fistric, Dallas’ first-round pick in the 2004 draft. He typically skated about 18-19 minutes a game, contributed 24 points, usually went against the opponents’ top line and showed enough moxie even as a newcomer to wear an “A.’’

“He is a man among boys at times,’’ said Iowa coach Dave Allison. “I just think he’s an intelligent guy. He’s accepted what it is he’s got to do to be successful and he’s worked at it. He’s dug in. You never question his work ethic, so if he does hit a bump in the road, he’ll find a solution to it.’’

Sometimes the answer is patience, like when you break your jaw twice in season. That’s what Fistric endured two years ago, playing for Vancouver of the WHL.

The first time happened when an opponent’s helmet smacked him in the face. Fistric came back too quickly from that blow, and when an errant elbow hit him in the jaw and broke it again, Fistric was out for two months. Fistric played just 15 games in 2004-05, the season after his draft year.

“The second time was more serious,’’ Fistric said. “I was just sitting around. I couldn’t work out. I was too weak. You don’t have enough nutrients, you don’t have enough energy to do anything.’’

And if there’s one way the Fistrics’ play their hockey, it’s with energy. At 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, Boris was a poster boy for the old school game. He ran up at least 391 penalty minutes four times in his junior and pro career. He retired in 1982 after two seasons with Kalamazoo of the IHL.

Mark, 6-foot-2, 232 pounds, had 148 PIM for Vancouver last year and 83 PIM for the Stars this season.

“He keeps his head pretty cool. It didn’t take me that long to snap,’’ Boris said.

“He was a mean guy,’’ Mark said of his father’s hockey habits. “He was feisty, got into a lot of fights. Obviously, the game was a lot different than it is now. I can defend my teammates. For him, fighting was fun.’’

Mark’s bigger priority this season was proving he could stay healthy while at the same time wearing out opponents. Although it was a blip compared to his issues of two seasons ago, he missed three weeks with Vancouver last year because of a fractured ankle.

That’s why his perfect attendance record with Iowa, while well behind his father’s track record at work, was so crucial to Mark.

“It was very important,’’ he said. “It shows the people who thought I wasn’t durable that maybe I am. It shows I just had one year where I didn’t have much luck and it’s not going to be a consistent thing. I know I’m a guy who can play every day and stay healthy.’’

And, it follows, get better every shift. Fistric was named the team’s most improved player this season. His offensive game is simple yet effective. Twenty-two of his 24 points came on helpers, although Fistric is far from a playmaker. He explains that away by saying he just put a lot of blasts on net that teammates fished out for rebounds.

In his own zone Fistric was the man Allison sent on the ice to protect a late lead, often forming one half of the team’s top defensive pairing.

“I just play physical and make their night as long as I can,’’ Fistric said of opponents. “I try to irritate as much as I can. You don’t want them to think they’re going to have an easy night. I’m a defensive-minded guy. I did it my whole junior career. I want to do it at the pro level.’’

Motivation probably won’t be an issue. Mark never went to work with his father, but sometimes brought him his lunch there. The youngster remembers the wear on dad’s face, the stench of eight-hour shifts’ worth of sweat in the air.

Hockey grinders can be dealt with. That sort of a living is simply a grind, period, Mark understands now. You milk every minute on the ice, because one of these days when you get off it the real work will begin.

“You can’t get tired, not mentally,’’ he said of the sport. “You just have to keep telling yourself the game is what you want to do, this is what you want. I just love the game and want to play in every game as long as I can.’’

Swando
05-01-2007, 01:02 AM
As much as I love X Giants and wish eveyone the best I still find it hard to think that Mark's lateral footspped will get him a regular job with Dallas. I hope I'm wrong because he's one our boys BUT I thot (think) he was better suited for the older type NHL into which he was drafted. Again its MO and I hope I am wrong. No questioning about his leadership and toughness in his own end! There I think he is 10 out of 10!