PDA

View Full Version : Giants Falls Short In Battle vs Portland

Kassian
03-05-2005, 01:41 PM
The Vancouver Giants were forced to play catch up on Friday, going down 2-0 and 3-1 in an eventual 4-2 loss to the Portland Winter Hawks. 9281 fans at the Pacific Coliseum were treated to a rough and tumble affair, but some tough luck on defense spelled doom for the G-Men.

Matt Robinson, scratched from the lineup on Wednesday in Seattle, came back with a solid outing and scored the Giants' first goal at 7:34 of the second period on the powerplay. Slovakian blueline sensation Andrej Meszaros, who set up Robinson's tally, registered one of his own to make the game 3-2 at 7:42 of the third, the closest the home team would get on this night.

"It's hard playing from behind,” Giants' Head Coach Don Hay said. “The effort was there. It looked like at times we were a little tight, but for the most part we played hard. We just couldn't find ways to score goals and every time we make a mistake it seems like its ending up in our net someway.”

The game was rife with defensive zone giveaways, something the Giants have been fighting of late. Heading into the last few weeks of the regular season, the team must be wary of mistakes and losses getting the better of their emotions.

"I've always said frustration is a wasted emotion,” Hay stated. “I think we have to check a little bit better and instead of saying ‘why us?' find a way to make it work. Find a way to create some energy, some forechecking pressure and find a way to win.”

The Giants fired 32 shots at Dustin Butler, the busier of the two netminders, though he never made any spectacular saves. Marek Schwarz stood on his head for Vancouver on occasion, but surrendered goals to Dan Da Silva (2), Kyle Bailey and Brian Woolger while making 22 stops.

The Winter Hawks, tied in points (67) with Vancouver , took a 2-0 lead with a poweplay goal and an unassisted marker in the opening frame and then popped singles in the last two periods to earn the win.

Popular defenseman Mark Fistric made his long-awaited return to the Giants' lineup, logging close to his regular minutes after recovering from a second jaw injury this season. He hadn't played since November and started to look really comfortable just prior to being sent off for a ten minute misconduct in the second period.

“I thought he was solid and did what he had to,” Hay observed. “Obviously the misconducts hurt us, with losing him for ten minutes and Triston (Grant) for ten. Other than that I thought he was OK. He was pretty mean and playing aggressively in front of the net and that's what we needed.”

Grant, who led the charge in the physical department on Friday, took over as captain of the Giants when Fistric went down for the second time. Now that he's back, the hulking backliner will follow the big captain, and lead the way himself at times, down the stretch run and in the playoffs.

“It's good to get back fresh and try to get the legs back and the lungs,” Fistric, a first round pick of the Dallas Stars in 2004, said. “It's difficult (taking) the loss, but it's definitely good to get back on the ice. I just wanted to go out there and show that my jaw's good and I'm back for good. My game is physical and that's the way I intend to play for the rest of my career.”

Hopefully Fistric's presence will put a little fear into the hearts of the Giants upcoming opponents. The Kelowna Rockets visit the Coliseum on Saturday, before the G-Men head to Kamloops to take on the Blazers on Sunday.

Kassian
03-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Last nights game was a JOKE! The Giants played 110% pathetic! If they put forth this type of lack there of effort tonight, Kelowna should beat them by 10 goals. And sadly that isn't a joke, nor am I over exaggerating. Only the people that were at this game last night can understand what I am saying... :dead: :mad:

Jimmy
03-05-2005, 03:10 PM
A couple weak goals let in by Marek, the defense forgot to show up, Brule invisible most of the night (when he wasn't trying to hold on too the puck too long... causing the second goal). Wasn't a good night all around.

Beaner
03-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Highlight of the night.

Watching the Meszaros Hit in the Game vs. Everett, 2-3 games ago, on the big screen.

Kassian
03-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Highlight of the night.

Watching the Meszaros Hit in the Game vs. Everett, 2-3 games ago, on the big screen.

Yeah, and I missed that because I had to bring something to a friend of mine that sat several rows away from me. :mad:

Oh well. I did see it when it originally happened on the Everett webcast. So I guess I can't complain too much....