PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Cup schedule question

b1kem1ke
04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
If Vancouver wins the WHL Championship, who fills the WHL slot in the Memorial Cup? Or do they change the format to accomidate 3 teams?

Jimmy
04-27-2007, 10:41 PM
The runner up goes.

IE no matter who wins the final series, medicine hat is going.

RunTheGoalie
04-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Also, no matter who wins, the Giants fill the Host slot, and the Tigers fill the WHL slot in the schedule. They took away the ability for the host team to choose their schedule if they won the league title.

rinkrat
04-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Interesting the Giants and Tigers only get one home game during the round robin.

old_time_hockey
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Also, no matter who wins, the Giants fill the Host slot, and the Tigers fill the WHL slot in the schedule. They took away the ability for the host team to choose their schedule if they won the league title.

I don't know how I feel about that. Moncton last year took advantage of the easier sched since they had the choice. As a team that earned their way there, why should they have a choice?

But then again, If you are hosting and go through the front door, the reward at the end is nice.

OHLArenaGuide
05-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Interesting the Giants and Tigers only get one home game during the round robin.

That is the downside to never having to play back-to-back games. Host league's two get off days, away leagues' two get home ice twice.

rinkrat
05-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Will the Giants actually take the visitors bench or just play the game as visitors?
Just wondering because I sit behind the visitors bench.

N.W. Bruin
05-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Will the Giants actually take the visitors bench or just play the game as visitors?
Just wondering because I sit behind the visitors bench.

The home team will be able to choose which end of the arena they want to defend for two periods. Plus they also get last change.

Swando
05-08-2007, 01:34 AM

Why would that be? A league rule that visiting teams OHL & Q get 2 when coming out west? And Vice versus?

OHLArenaGuide
05-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Why would that be? A league rule that visiting teams OHL & Q get 2 when coming out west? And Vice versus?

The answer's just three posts above yours. dancing pi

That is the downside to never having to play back-to-back games. Host league's two get off days, away leagues' two get home ice twice.

The schedule is always the same no matter who is hosting.

Game #1: A @ Host
Game #2: Host League Rep @ B
Game #3: Host @ B
Game #4: Host League Rep @ A
Game #5: B @ A
Game #6: Host @ Host League Rep

A and B are the two out-of-league representatives. They rotate around based on who is hosting but the fundamental schedule never changes.

Again, Host and Host League Rep get off days between each game; A and B get "home ice advantage" twice.

crush
05-08-2007, 05:44 PM
When the Memorial Cup was in Kelowna, the Rockets always used their regular bench.