PDA

View Full Version : Rumor signings...

Tidball
04-28-2007, 12:04 AM
From 40684, i came across a rumor that the Blades have signed 2 players to contracts. Can anyone elaborate on this? I know Molleken has been traveling all across canada to get a view at some players.

Tidball
04-28-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.thescoutingnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4286&Itemid=9

Sounds legit, hopefully it is. :p

Trav
04-28-2007, 01:45 AM
overagers are what the Blades need. Hope they're top notch scorers. If they're 19 it'd be even better but if they're 20, i can live with that, as long as they're capable of playing in the WHL.

Five Hole
04-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Scandal: Blades sign two players to contracts?

Perhaps the WHL has been taking to many lessons from the OHL? Cooked draft day deals in the WHL are frowned apon. Why? The league wants the bantam draft to have integrity for the sake of competitive league balance. The Saskatoon Blades are allegedly not buying into the system. Sources have told The Scouting News that the Blades have signed two high end 1992 born prospects (Quinton Howden and Charles Inglis) to pre-draft day deals.
__________________________________________________ ____________

..... the article only references some pre-draft signing of the top 2 14 year olds out of Manitoba. Sounds bogus... I know trades happen all the time at the bantam draft, but how likely is it that Saskatoon could sign 2 potential first rounders prior to the draft? And why would the league allow it?

Tidball
04-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Scandal: Blades sign two players to contracts?

Perhaps the WHL has been taking to many lessons from the OHL? Cooked draft day deals in the WHL are frowned apon. Why? The league wants the bantam draft to have integrity for the sake of competitive league balance. The Saskatoon Blades are allegedly not buying into the system. Sources have told The Scouting News that the Blades have signed two high end 1992 born prospects (Quinton Howden and Charles Inglis) to pre-draft day deals.
__________________________________________________ ____________

..... the article only references some pre-draft signing of the top 2 14 year olds out of Manitoba. Sounds bogus... I know trades happen all the time at the bantam draft, but how likely is it that Saskatoon could sign 2 potential first rounders prior to the draft? And why would the league allow it?

Owen Sound gets away with it, i guess Lorne can too...

howley
04-28-2007, 11:17 AM
somethings not right or being reported right. It doesn't make sense and if that is really what happened and the league does nothing about it. They may as well take out the draft and just have it on a first come first serve basis for that years players.

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-28-2007, 11:35 AM
somethings not right or being reported right. It doesn't make sense and if that is really what happened and the league does nothing about it. They may as well take out the draft and just have it on a first come first serve basis for that years players.
I agree,something is not right in this situation. More importantly(if this is true, I have my doubts about it) Why would an experienced coach like Molleken do something like this? If it is against the rules? Maybe this has something to do with the Blades having no head scout now? :confused: I first thought that maybe he is desparite? or in a panic? Maybe not,but this does not sound right and if this is indeed true,I can not see this going through,but if it does,I also can not see the Blades get away home free, the WHL will probably intervine,although with the Trevor Lewis saga,Spokane had his rights and(he was born/lived in WHL territory(that probably has nothing to do with this case though)

I still do not know what to think of this? :confused: Boogaard'd :skeptical

SectionNDeserter
04-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Its ok, they can just give all the OHL teams a 4th round pick.....

howley
04-28-2007, 01:22 PM
if this goes through it's not molleken's fault. If he spotted a loop hole he is exploiting it. The only group to blame is the shotty management by the league or the entire CHL. The Trevor Lewis thing opened an ugly can of worms that was very mishandled IMO by upper management in the CHL. It is not the blades that is putting the intergrity of the league into question. It is the league doing it to itself.

Trav
04-28-2007, 01:25 PM
that Molleken would go ahead and sign two kids that will be selected in next week's bantam draft. I can see maybe one guy being signed if its a given that he'll be available at the 4th pick.

I cant see Molleken going ahead and signing fourteen year old kids already though. If he's signed two players, they're probably 16-20 yr olds.

WHL Rules
04-28-2007, 01:28 PM
The situation with Lewis and the OHL was a bit different. It was more a problem with different draft/protected list systems between the CHL leagues (and for the record, the WHL got robbed IMO).
But if this rumor is true it means the Blades are not buying into the WHL's own draft system anymore. That would be the end to the bantam draft.

howley
04-28-2007, 01:53 PM
it would put an end to the draft if the league allows the signings to happen.

howley
04-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Players from Canada? I wish.

Tidball
04-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Players from Canada? I wish.

Kane is from New York i think. haha

howley
04-28-2007, 05:58 PM
they may go after him then. The only problem is his name is to short and doesn't sound european enough. Plus he's only 17...add 20 years onto his age and they may take a look at him.

Dwight Schrute
04-28-2007, 07:05 PM
so lorne signs these kids, to contracts before the draft...hmmm so then donn clarke drafts them out of spite. the raiders would then own their whl rights and lorne would be screwed. players must pass through the bantam draft before they can be listed or signed to player contracts

Trav
04-28-2007, 07:40 PM
on these rumours, which makes me believe that there are people that are trying to make the Blades look like an organization that doesnt play by the rules.

howley
04-28-2007, 08:32 PM
I really don't think this would ever happen. Maybe he talked to them, maybe he tried to jump through a loop hole but in the end the league would put the Kaibosh on anything like this happening. I would hope...

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-28-2007, 08:54 PM
How can a team sign player(s)? When (A) they have not even been drafted yet(and it is there draft year?) (B) what if another team drafted them? I still can not see clearly how this can happen? Why would the Blades want to do this,and risk getting into trouble with the league? Why would they do this when they have the 4th overall draft pick in the 1st round? This is really starting to get annoying. I think what Trav said in this last post is bang on correct (right now) We will see though. If this was true and the WHL did not reject it,seriously what would the Blades accomplish? either than getting 2 of the top players? It would probably give the Blades Brass and entire orginzation a bad rap.

It will be interesting to see if anything develops deeper from this crazy and potentially deadly situation.

Five Hole
04-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Here's a story about the two they're talking about... doesn't mention the signings, of course.... I think somebody's jumping to conclusions about them being signed already.... Molleken is probably very interested and has probably told one of them he'll take him at #4, but that's it, I'd think.... :rolleyes:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/v-printerfriendly/story/3954231p-4566222c.html

Trav
04-28-2007, 11:39 PM
to, probably has his eye on a player and has told them that he'll probably pick one of them.

wango tango
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
this smacks of a whole lot of pot stirring by somebody. i'd be surprised if the blades had done anything more than any other team in the whl. they've probably talked with every and any prospect they could pick and made sure if they drafted them they would show up. nothing more, nothing less. sounds like a website posting something as fact, whose source is dubious at best, then the online community taking it, and as these things go it takes on a life of its own and is much like a runaway train.

Trav
05-01-2007, 09:42 PM
whoever started it is obiviously a retard who has nothing to do except sit on his big fat ass and make up **** bout the Blades and whats even more funny is that a rip off scouting website (thescoutingnews.com) had it on their website lol.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I do not see this happening,so hopefully this is the last post before this thread gets locked up. :mad: stupid people making up rumours,and then it gets onto a scouting website. :mad:

I do not see what someone would achieve by making up this bogus rumour,but whatever it is as good as dead to me. :evil:

Trav
05-02-2007, 12:34 AM
have said it was not true at all, which was no surprise.

nivek_wahs
05-02-2007, 01:04 AM
As it has been brought to my attention by Tidball and Dannoabram that the Blades did appear to violate Bantam Draft regulations... as the link has said NOTHING about why the Blades lost the pick therefore it is still a RUMOUR! The thread is still closed.

http://whl.ca/news/?id=6917&showToc=1&game_id=

Additionally, the WHL has withdrawn the Saskatoon Blades’ fifth round draft pick (3rd selection in the 5th round) due to a violation of the WHL Bantam Draft regulations.