PDA

View Full Version : Hitmen Playoff Recap.

Hitmen1
04-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Here are a bunch of articles from the Sun recapping the playoffs.

Long Run lots of fun (http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/04/29/4139021-sun.html)

Here is an interesting piece from the article.

Kisio said he hasn't decided if he'll be back behind the bench next year.

"I don't know, I'll have to talk to Mr. (Ken) King," Kisio said of the Flames and Hitmen boss. "I'd like to think about it for a couple of weeks and decide whether the dual role is the way to go."

Kisio has been the team's GM for nine seasons and has coached for the past three.

Just reading a similar article in herald, I didn't realize that Kisio's contract is up. Maybe the Hitmen will have a new bench boss next season.

Playoff Awards (http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/04/29/4139020-sun.html)

Overagers (http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/04/29/4139022-sun.html)

nivek_wahs
04-30-2007, 03:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=e3069017-4fc0-4522-a212-1bd5f83f0590

Hitmen hold heads high
Season a success despite playoff loss to Medicine Hat
John Down, Calgary Herald
Published: Sunday, April 29, 2007

There was some lingering, plenty of handshakes and unending smiles. If there were any hangovers from the season-ending defeat, they weren't evident Saturday morning as the Calgary Hitmen cleaned out their dressing room stalls at the Pengrowth Saddledome and headed off into the rising sun.

There was nothing to be embarrassed about. The club had given its all through 18 playoff games before reluctantly bowing to an older Medicine Hat Tigers lineup in five games capped by a 4-3 overtime thriller Friday night.

A handful of the Hitmen have probably played their last junior game. Others are looking forward to next season and finishing the job that left them three wins shy of qualifying for the Memorial Cup tournament.

"It's been a pretty special time in my life," said Steve Covington, trying to reflect on 370 regular-season and playoff games with the Hitmen. "I'll definitely remember these memories. It was a good time and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

"Every year had it's moments. This year was great because it's the furthest I've been in the playoffs, but I think every year was just awesome."

Covington joins Derek LeBlanc and Dylan Yeo as the three 20-year-olds graduating via the Western Hockey League's age rule, undrafted players whose hockey futures are uncertain.

Brodie Dupont and Freddie Pettersson, two of the five 19-year-olds, probably will turn professional. Dupont, who toughed it out for the last three games of the playoffs on a high ankle sprain, must be signed by the New York Rangers by June 1 or he'll be eligible again for the NHL draft.

Ditto for Pettersson, a fifth-round choice of the Edmonton Oilers in 2005. If he doesn't play pro in North America, the slick Swede says he'll play pro in Europe.

Another 13 players are eligible for this summer's NHL draft, defenceman Karl Alzner leading the way as a projected first five pick. Centre Brett Sonne and defenceman Alex Plante also have been ranked by the Central Scouting Bureau all season and could be selected within the first four rounds.

"It really sucks that we're not going to have this group of guys together again because I thought this year was the top year for the best group of guys I've ever played with," said the 18-year-old Alzner.

"But there's a lot to look forward to this summer, so I have to try not to think about this too much or for too long and start looking forward to the future now."

At least, Alzner knows his path will continue in hockey. Covie, LeBlanc and Yeo, who were solid all season and made huge playoff contributions, will be waiting for the phone to ring.

"This year is probably the tightest team I've ever played on as far as guys go and character," said LeBlanc, who was acquired from the Brandon Wheat Kings at the start of the 2005-06 season. "Obviously, we're disappointed because our ultimate goal was to be in the Memorial Cup, but I thought we left everything on the table and played our best hockey at the end for sure.

"I have no idea what's in the future, but I guess school is always an option if nothing else pans out for me."

Yeo, the captain and one of the toughest players to knock off his skates in the WHL, is of the same mindset.

"Every 20-year-old's dream is to get to the Memorial Cup . . . we got close and I'm really proud of the guys. It's a long, tough journey and I think our guys did fairly well.

"I don't know what's coming next, but I guess I better start thinking about it soon or I'll be in trouble. I hope something happens in hockey but, if not, I will probably go back to school because there's a couple of options there."

jdown@theherald.canwest.com

© The Calgary Herald 2007

nivek_wahs
04-30-2007, 03:21 AM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=f9ea1a2f-12fe-4aa6-ab5b-ab213be1a8e8

Kisio confident without contract

John Down, Calgary Herald
Published: Sunday, April 29, 2007

There's every reason to be optimistic about the Calgary Hitmen's chances for another successful campaign next season.

Although general manager and head coach Kelly Kisio has yet to have his contract renewed by the Calgary Flames, the Western Hockey League club will keep its nucleus of talented young forwards while boasting a more experienced defensive and goaltending corps.

The Hitmen will lose their three 20-year-olds (Steve Covington, Derek LeBlanc and Dylan Yeo) and probably forwards Brodie Dupont and Freddie Pettersson to the pro ranks and possibly one more player to the Edmonton Oil Kings in the expansion draft.

Everyone else is tabbed to return with Riley Merkley, Dan Mercer and Ryan Gillen going into their 20-year-old seasons.

"We're not losing a ton of guys, but we are losing some valuable guys who played a lot of quality minutes for us," said Kisio, "so there's going to have to be some guys step up, like most seasons, and play those minutes."

Kisio believes sophomores Brett Sonne (centre), Carson McMillan (winger) and Alex Plante (defenceman) could have breakthrough seasons.

He also sees bigger roles for rookies Michael Stone (defenceman) and Brendan Rowinski (centre).

One spot the Hitmen won't be short is centre ice with Ryan White, the league's fourth top sniper this season, Ian Duval, Sonne and Rowinski all returning.

Throw in 16-year-old Brandon Kozun, who played a few games with the club, and they're rock solid.

"We might even have to move a guy to wing," smiled Kisio,

And who knows what surprises training camp may hold or what

20-year-olds might be available as the promise of a vast overage market looms.

The three teams the Hitmen played in the playoffs used 33 19-year-olds.

Kisio will take in Wednesday's WHL awards banquet and Thursday's annual bantam draft.

jdown@theherald.canwest.com

© The Calgary Herald 2007