PDA

View Full Version : Lower ranking doesn’t phase Brandon Sutter

nivek_wahs
04-30-2007, 01:08 AM
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=107&cat=40&id=972597&more=

Lower ranking doesn’t phase Brandon Sutter

By GREG MEACHEM
Advocate sports editor
Apr 27 2007

Not long ago, Brandon Sutter was projected as a sure-fire top-10 pick in June’s NHL entry draft.

If the latest Central Scouting Bureau rankings are accurate, the Red Deer Rebels centre will be fortunate if he’s selected in the first round. Sutter, ranked ninth among North American skaters in Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings, has slipped to 28th in the latest placings.

Of course, the CSB ratings are really nothing more than numbers. They are basically irrelevant come draft day, when NHL teams often select players based on potential and character rather than statistics.

“I’m not going to worry about it. The team that wants you will take you,” Sutter, whose offensive numbers fell off during the second half of the 2006-07 Western Hockey League season, said Wednesday while taking in the Telus Cup contest between Red Deer and Vancouver North West.

“There are different rankings for everything, but they don’t really mean anything. It comes down to what a team is looking for. I can’t do anything about it.”

Sutter may have helped his cause with a solid, if unspectacular, showing in the recent world under-18 championship in Finland, where Canada finished fourth following an 8-3 loss to Sweden in the bronze-medal contest.

“It was tough going over there just a couple of days after losing Game 7 (to Medicine Hat in the first round of the WHL playoffs), but I got better as the week went on,” he said.

“We came up a little short as a team but it was a lot of fun and a good experience. It’s nice to have a break now and take a little time off.”

Canada came within a shootout goal of beating the United States and gaining a berth in the gold-medal game against eventual champion Russia.

The disappointment lingered and played a role in the outcome of the bronze-medal contest.

“After you lose in the semis it’s tough to regroup in two days,” said Sutter. “You go there to win gold and then when you lose like that (in a shootout) it really takes all the wind out of your sails.

“It’s tough to get up for a (bronze-medal game). For some countries a bronze is a big deal, but if you’re from Canada you expect to win.”

With his international experience — he played in two U18 tournaments last year — Sutter may find himself on the invitation list for the national junior team summer camp.

“I’ve had a chance to play with a few national teams so I hope I get an invitation (to the junior nats camp),” he said. “If I do I’ll be thrilled.”

● Red Deer’s Paul Postma and Dustin Claffey, both of whom patrol the Swift Current Broncos blueline, are ranked 67th and 146th by Central Scouting, while Red Deer native and Portland Winter Hawks forward Colton Sceviour is No. 96, two spots better than former Rebels and current Moose Jaw Warriors forward Jordan Knackstedt.

Dion Knelsen of Three Hills, a former Optimist Rebels bantam star who played with Sutter on the Canadian U18 team and is currently at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks, is listed at No. 201.

Contact Greg Meachem at gmeachem@reddeeradvocate.com

icegoth
04-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Not a shock. I watched the semi final match versus USA and when I watched the first goal, it was typical to notice one player stick-out. This player didn't pick up his man, was coasting, not moving his hands, and was watching the USA player score a nice goal. If the USA player was covered, the goal would have never happened. Unfortunately, this player was number 12 for Canada with the name bar Sutter. I was hoping to see more interest from BS, makes sense that he has dropped down the ranks. I'm predicting he will go in the fifth round to Calgary.

Red celtic
04-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Are you willing to place a little wager on this prediction? :D

hockey4
05-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Not a shock. I watched the semi final match versus USA and when I watched the first goal, it was typical to notice one player stick-out. This player didn't pick up his man, was coasting, not moving his hands, and was watching the USA player score a nice goal. If the USA player was covered, the goal would have never happened. Unfortunately, this player was number 12 for Canada with the name bar Sutter. I was hoping to see more interest from BS, makes sense that he has dropped down the ranks. I'm predicting he will go in the fifth round to Calgary.

seeing this is your first post, it take it as a personal grudge rather than a knowledgeable take on the game. i too watched the game, the whole team looked tired, but i also saw sutter play very well in the third and overtime, one of the few players that i believe actually played. i mean the only ones that played in ot were sutter, stamkos, esposito, boychuk, turris, and the odd other forward. And just curious, when you say the US player scored a nice goal, was it really sutter's fault then, or just a great play by the US player. Im abig supporter of hard working players, so i admire the way he plays. To conclude, your fifth round bet pretty much sums up your personal, knowledgless grudge.

icegoth
05-01-2007, 09:26 AM
True, it is my first post. When I wrote that the US goal was nice, I didn't mean it was great. An average shot that could have been prevented had someone covered him. A prediction is not a bet and an observation is not a grudge. There were others in the game that weren't standouts but I am responding to an article that was posted.

The Sutter family rep is about work ethic and it is about working 60 minutes. BS is probably a moms boy more than a product of his fathers genes. You can't just flip a switch and turn on that Sutter magic.

hockey4
05-02-2007, 12:51 AM
The Sutter family rep is about work ethic and it is about working 60 minutes. BS is probably a moms boy more than a product of his fathers genes. You can't just flip a switch and turn on that Sutter magic.

I suggest you take in a few rebels games a year before you make that assumption. Hes about the only player that i can see on the rebels, that even if not on the scoresheet, edleast gives it his all.

icegoth
05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Does "edleast" mean never? Looking at some of the past posts regarding Brandon, I'm not too far off. Looks like the team built around him by bringing in two Euros that made him look swell. True, I did not follow your Red Deer team but I am interested in draftable players and watching where they are selected.

SectionNDeserter
05-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Does "edleast" mean never? Looking at some of the past posts regarding Brandon, I'm not too far off.Good to see that you formulated your own opinion by watching more than one game, rather than just regurgitating comments from the one or two "Anti-Sutter" people on this board. Having watched every Rebels game this season, I think he did just fine. He will get drafted in the first round because he is a big kid, with excellent vision, he checks well, is rarely out of position, has good work ethic, and has a pretty decent shot. If he doesn't get drafted in the first round, it will be because of his conditioning. I think that he looked a little tired towards the end of the season, and he could probably stand to improve his conditioning a little, but he certainly isn't lacking in the work ethic department.

Looks like the team built around him by bringing in two Euros that made him look swell. True, I did not follow your Red Deer team but I am interested in draftable players and watching where they are selected.I can't believe for a moment that Brent Sutter was actually trying to ice the most competitive team that he could put together... You are probably right, he only brought in talented players to advance his hidden agenda....

icegoth
05-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Actually, I have watched many games that involve BS. All the Finland World Championships were on tv in addition to watching the prospects game. I've even taped the games so that I could watch replays in detail. These are pressure games where there are more scouts that at a regular season WHL game. When the pressure is on, there is no delivery.

Big kid, I think he is average height and a thin build. Enough said.

Funny.....the photo of section n looks similiar to Brent with a wig...any relation?

SectionNDeserter
05-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Funny.....the photo of section n looks similiar to Brent with a wig...any relation?Nah, everyone who sits/used to sit in SectionN looks like that. :D

canes77
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Calgary drafted his two older cousins if Im not mistaken (or at least signed them) so it wouldnt surprise me if the Flames draft Brandon Sutter, 1st or 2nd round I would expect...

I have only seen him play here a few times against the Canes or on Team Canada...and although he sometimes appears to not give it his all, it could be because he gets a ton of ice time and is even double shifted at times...No one can skate hard after a 2+ minute shift.

The most important trait I've noticed from him is that in the key parts of the game, he steps it up into another gear and can dominate the play.

It must have sucked having to grow up with the Sutter name on his jersey given the history of his father/uncles...He isnt simply "Brandon Sutter", he is "Brent Sutter's son"...he may get breaks because of it but it also must be hard I think.

WHL Rules
05-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Actually, I have watched many games that involve BS. All the Finland World Championships were on tv in addition to watching the prospects game. I've even taped the games so that I could watch replays in detail.
Only the last three games were on tv. So you have seen four games from him and you are going to tell posters who have watched him for two whole seasons what kind of player he is? :rolleyes:

Big kid, I think he is average height and a thin build. Enough said.
So 6'3" is average height? :spineyes:

FreddieFender
05-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Brandon's draft position will be based on his hockey sense at both ends of the rink, not his raw skill level. He's smart and sneaky, ...... sneaky like Colby Armstrong. Brandon anticipates very well. From my observations, his decisions and positioning without the puck are comparable to any other 18 year ranked in the first two rounds. However, his offensive upside is limited, like most Sutters. I see him as the best of the second generation Sutters, with a better than average chance to play NHL hockey, but not an offensive superstar at the next level.

icegoth
05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Hype is a great marketing tool to get interest in a player. This springboard gets the attention of the media thus making scouts take notice. If the player matches the hype, he stays at his expected ranking or may go higher. BS doesn't live up to the hype. An agent probably got a reporter to make this article to put a positive spin on the downward spiral.

Even though it is too late...(for the draft) it would have been smart to trade BS to a team that would involve BS living as a billet and being coached by someone that has no self interest in his personal life. If he could play with the Sutter ethic independantly it would show his maturity. Scouts can see there are some conflicts. If I were a scout, I would be worried about his ability when he plays outside his comfort zone.

SectionNDeserter
05-03-2007, 05:14 PM
it would have been smart to trade BS to a team that would involve BS living as a billet.Brandon DOES live with a billet. Let me know if you need help getting out of that hole, it seems to be getting deeper....

Rebrevs
05-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Now about this comfort zone you are assuming that BS is living in....
Firstly, Brandon Sutter DOES live with a billet and always has since his sixteen year old season. Secondly, use your imagination for a moment and consider the downside of playing 1. with the SUTTER name attached to your back 2. your father as coach and general manager 3. with team mates who are fully aware of the same scenario. 4. ignorant fans who make assumptions. Sounds more like a nightmare to me.

FreddieFender
05-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Section N is correct. Brandon does live with a billet. I would suspect that Brent wants his son to experience the life of junior hockey just like any other Rebel. When Brandon arrives at the rink he should do so in his capacity as a player, not a son. It's no different than a teacher with his kid in the school. When the parent arrives at school, he or she does so in his or her capacity as a teacher, not a parent. Learning how to identify, respect, and act in a variety of capacities is key ingredient of most professions, not just hockey.

icegoth
05-04-2007, 09:38 AM
What kind of hole is there to dig? Staying in the same town as your family...when you're homesick, you just walk two houses over. Big deal. And, I am guessing the billets weren't picked out of a hat.

The pressure of playing in your hometown and for your daddy is understandable. That's why I suggested that playing for a different club would prove more points for BS than the atmosphere in Red Deer. Maybe then, would his draft number rise.

RebelsFan
05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I was told by a player that last year Brent and Brandon had a coach / player relationship. This year it was more father /son in the dressing room. I would agree with both sides of this discussion. Brandon is under a lot of pressure to perform because of the name on his back. That being said, he does get different treatment than the other players. If the regular players screw up, they get dressed down in front of the whole team. If Brandon screws up, he is right back out there next shift to prove he can play through the adversity.

Brent is no different than any other father who has a son that works for him or plays for him. I think if any of us found ourselves in the same position as him we would do the same thing. But, there are responsibilites and perks that go with being the bosses kid. Also, if I invested 5 million dollars to buy a hockey team, wouldn't that give me the right to play my kid more than other players and to see he gets drafted to the show. I know if I owned the team, my kid would be first line centre all the time!

icegoth
05-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Rebelsfan, finally someone that seems to be objective on this board. I started to think Red Deer was the sister-city to the hillbilly town in "Deliverance." I could just imagine Section n playing the banjo behind the Rebels bench!!

RebelsFan
05-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Icegoth, as you are new or nearly new to this forum I will share a little secret with you. Rebels Fans, especially the ones who are on this forum, are serious fans of the Rebels and Mr. Sutter. While I am a Rebels fan and a fan of Mr. Sutter I am also a father (not of a Rebel) of hockey players. Some of the comments and criticisms on this board would be different if, say for example, Mr. Sutter was yelling at their son or daughter on the bench. I won't name Rebels fans with kids on here save it to say some of the posters on here have young kids. If their son had just dumped the puck over the glass or iced the puck, would they feel good having Brent yell at them on the bench in front of 6200 fans? I am just saying, sometimes it would be nice for people to remember these are young men giving it their all to please a lot of different agendas. I am sure Brandon is doing his best. He is after all a 17 year old boy who a lot of people have high expectations of. I think name recognition alone will grant him a pass to the earlier rounds. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be there but it's tough to put him in the same boat as say Jordan Knackstedt. Jordan didn't get the icetime while with the Rebels that Brandon got. Brent gets to tell NHL scouts whatever he wants about Jordan. To say that they are on equal ground would be absurd. Not saying one is as good as the other or not. I'm saying it doesn't matter.

icegoth
05-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Very good points, RebelsFan. It's good to see someone show some respect to a new poster. Thanks!!

hockey4
05-04-2007, 04:52 PM
If their son had just dumped the puck over the glass or iced the puck, would they feel good having Brent yell at them on the bench in front of 6200 fans? I am just saying, sometimes it would be nice for people to remember these are young men giving it their all to please a lot of different agendas. I am sure Brandon is doing his best. He is after all a 17 year old boy who a lot of people have high expectations of. I think name recognition alone will grant him a pass to the earlier rounds. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be there but it's tough to put him in the same boat as say Jordan Knackstedt. Jordan didn't get the icetime while with the Rebels that Brandon got. Brent gets to tell NHL scouts whatever he wants about Jordan. To say that they are on equal ground would be absurd. Not saying one is as good as the other or not. I'm saying it doesn't matter.

Another secret icegoth, some rebel fans have personal grudges that taint nearly every topic on this board.

1) i have never seen sutter yell at somebody for icing the puck or dumping the puck over the glass, give the guy some credit please.

2) knackstedt and sutter were not even close to the same playing field. Knackstedt played with zero intensity, never took the man, and put up hardly any points, and was prob given the icetime that matched his play.

3) i highly doubt sutter would tell scouts anymore about knackstedt than what they can see for themselves on the ice, which isnt hard to see
(see above).

4) what you fail to realize, is that these kids have to learn to only play for one agenda, there coaches. these days, it woudlt suprise me if half the reason sutter gets mad at these kids is cause after the games they hear from there parents on how to play the game, and therefore they throw out what they learn from sutter. this is some thing i have disliked since my kids were in hockey, was the parents to disregarded the coaches as nobodys and told there kid how to play the game.

5) if i was a parent, i would want my kid getting yelled at for not playing the right way, they learn way more that way than doing things half-assed or wrong, and getting away with it.

SectionNDeserter
05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Rebelsfan, finally someone that seems to be objective on this board. I started to think Red Deer was the sister-city to the hillbilly town in "Deliverance." I could just imagine Section n playing the banjo behind the Rebels bench!!Don't feel too badly about it, I hear it is quite common for "people like you" to resort to name-calling when they are quite clearly losing a debate in a public forum. :D

hockey4
05-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Very good points, RebelsFan. It's good to see someone show some respect to a new poster. Thanks!!

how can people show respect to you. You dont watch rebel games, and have used 3 international contests to shape your opinion on somebody. You have shown little knowledge since you joined this board toward b sutter and the rest of the team (mostly sutter which basically means you need to vent a personal hatred or grudge)

SectionNDeserter
05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
1) i have never seen sutter yell at somebody for icing the puck or dumping the puck over the glass, give the guy some credit please.I have seen him rip into a few guys on the bench, including his son a few times, though it is usually for a really bad turnover or lazy backchecking.

2) knackstedt and sutter were not even close to the same playing field. Knackstedt played with zero intensity, never took the man, and put up hardly any points, and was prob given the icetime that matched his play.I agree somewhat. Knackstedt was given plenty of time last season, and plenty of ice time this season. It wasn't so much that he was a bad hockey player, it was just that he wasn't getting any better, and all the other players around him were, and as such his ice time started to dwindle away. When that happens, it is time for that player to move on, for both his sake and the team's.

5) if i was a parent, i would want my kid getting yelled at for not playing the right way, they learn way more that way than doing things half-assed or wrong, and getting away with it.And who really cares what the parents think? If the parents are willing to fork out the admission for 6000 people who paid to come watch their kid coast lazily through a game, then they have a right to openly complain about it, until then they should really be keeping it to themselves. Likewise for the players. They are not playing non-competitive hockey anymore, and regardless of whether the coach also owns the team or not, the fans are ultimately paying his salary, and it is in his best interest to ensure that his players are giving 100% on the ice.

RebelsFan
05-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't have a personal grudge against anyone on this board or the Rebels coaches. Why, when someone has an opposing view, do people resort to personal accusations. I could have picked anyone instead of Knackstedt. I guess I should have picked another player but no one seems to note I said "not saying the players were close in ability or not". All I am saying is it doesn't matter. Brandon is Brandon Sutter and that will always be so. I am only saying that Brent has the opportunity, through owning the team, to give Brandon every advantage possible, and he DOES! If I owned the team, as I said earlier I would do it for my son as well.
I am not sure there is a way to voice an opinion on here without getting slagged by the people who sit in sectionN.
Hockey4, I coach my own son. I would agree that medling parents are a pain in the A**. Why do you accuse me of being one?
Are you saying the scouts don't ask the players coaches anything? I give Brent Sutter all of the credit in the world. I also know what he says to players. I give him the credit he deserves. Lets not get into it here as we've been down this road many times.
I would have to say, in response to the original question of this topic, Brandon could care less what some reporter has to say about him. He will get drafted where he gets drafted which I will assume is going to be late first round or early second. After all, what is he going to say about peoples opinions of him.

Shinyshoes
05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
I am only saying that Brent has the opportunity, through owning the team, to give Brandon every advantage possible, and he DOES! If I owned the team, as I said earlier I would do it for my son as well.For the record, I agree with you. And also for the record, moving up in the draft by sending Tyler Dittmer to Brandon so we could pick Brandon Sutter was the idea of the scouts, not Brent Sutter. Obviously, Brent would have had the final say, but the scouts were the ones who came up with the trade. At the time, I wasnt sure, but trading Dittmer to get Brandon Sutter turned out to be (IMO) a trade in our favor.

I am not sure there is a way to voice an opinion on here without getting slagged by the people who sit in sectionN. I do sit in Section N, but so far as I know, I am the only one on this board that does. Please don't paint us all with the same brush.

On that same note, I agree that "Section N Deserter" is kind of a jackass ;) haha

SectionNDeserter
05-05-2007, 06:48 AM
On that same note, I agree that "Section N Deserter" is kind of a jackass ;) hahaYou told me before that I was a total jackass! Why the sudden change of heart? :D

icegoth
05-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Hockey4 and SectionN are most likely the same person or a very close relation to eachother. They have the same defensive posturing to try to bring down opinions that differ from their side.

I, as a central Canadian, love Canadian hockey. I can't watch all Red Deer games but I do try to track down info about players that Canadian Hockey sends out to represent us before they are drafted. Some of my opinions may hurt, but they are objective to a limit. I only compare players at best-on-best tournaments. If a player shines against other top players, then great. If a player floats, has multiple mental farts, lack of work ethic, conditioning, and desire then you can't hide that at a best-on-best tournament. You may have the tools but your lacking the tool box to carry the tools.

tiny
05-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't post often but sometimes I feel the need. This is one of those times.
IMHO Brandon is being coached as his father's son. That to me is a two-edged sword. Having coached my own son's, I know how hard it is for them. We, fathers, have a tendancy to want/expect/push foir the best for/from our sons. Brandon is no exception. I KNOW Brandon is never excluded from being criticised by his father. Because I sit behind the bench and and see the criticism. Whether it is for Brandon or someone else, it always relates directly to an action or inaction on the ice. I feel there are/were some on the team that were using Brandon as an excuse for their lackluster play.

I can say I was expecting Brandon to have a terrific season. It was less than I hoped for. Again IMHO, Brandon's season would have been much better if he had been rested to begin the season, (but how can you turn down a chance to represent your country), many underachieving players to start the season, and the resulting changes to try to put together a better team for the next two years. What do I expect from him this year??? More physical strength and size, many more assists, less time on the point on the power play and more time up front, less time on the PK, and a much more successful season.

Would I have liked to play for Mr. Sutter?? NO!!!! I was never good enough to have benefitted from what he has to offer. He is hardest on those who have much more to offer and don't reach hard enough.

To the person who posted that Brandon could walk home if he got upset...it is about a 20 mile walk. I know he is in good shape but DAD would probably just turn him around to walk right back...LOL

hockey4
05-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Hockey4 and SectionN are most likely the same person or a very close relation to eachother. They have the same defensive posturing to try to bring down opinions that differ from their side.

I, as a central Canadian, love Canadian hockey. I can't watch all Red Deer games but I do try to track down info about players that Canadian Hockey sends out to represent us before they are drafted. Some of my opinions may hurt, but they are objective to a limit. I only compare players at best-on-best tournaments. If a player shines against other top players, then great. If a player floats, has multiple mental farts, lack of work ethic, conditioning, and desire then you can't hide that at a best-on-best tournament. You may have the tools but your lacking the tool box to carry the tools.

Were not critisizing you for your opinion, its that your making this argument with basically ZERO knoweldge of the player in question. Basing your judgments on watching a few games on TSN ( which does not due justice to a player as it only shows what peope do with the puck ) is going to taint your views. and may i warn you on a few things.

The U-18 (spring) is not even close to the best of the best. Canada sends players that are available, some who just finished playing in the playoffs days prior (Brandon, 7game series, 72 games sched, previous U-18 in fall = tired)

If your going to use an international event to compare, use the U-18 in the fall. Its also very public that the central scouting rankings are done prior to the event, but released RIGHT after, because the best players are either tired or not available for the tourney, and the NHL teams prob realize that.

RebelsFan
05-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Tiny, Hockey4, nice posts! This is more what I wish the discussions were like on here. We all have an opinion about players and coaches. We are, for the most part, Canadian. We are passionate about our game. We all feel that we pay for a ticket and that gives us the right to an opinion. I agree, it does. It's just sometimes we get into negative bashing that doesn't accomplish anything and it's like watching reality TV waiting for the preplanned conflicts to occur. Brandon is a hell of a hockey player, and I would agree that even at his elite level there has to be some down time. I think Brandon's performance this year is a perfect example of this. I agree with hockey4, Brandon looked tired and can we blame him. The life of a junior hockey player is a long drawn out process that very few players are successful at. Love him or hate him, having Brent Sutter as your Dad and coach has to have it's ups and downs.

Rebrevs
05-05-2007, 02:15 PM
You (icegoth) are making a lot of your judgements based on lack of knowledge. One can only assume then, that there is an "axe to grind" when you make some of the statements you make. Unfortunately, there are many people out there , like you, who are bound and determined that Brandon Sutter couldn't possibly be making it on his own but rather is being pulled along by his prestigious father. Therefore, any small mistake that Brandon makes is multiplied in the mind of a person who is looking for that mistake. ("multiple mental farts") One of BS's attributes as a player is his intelligence on the ice. Does that mean he won't make mistakes? Of course he will. Oh, thats right.... I forgot...... BS isn't allowed to make mistakes because he is being watched more closely than everyone else. To say Brandon Sutter lacks work ethic is an extreme misjudgement which, again, comes from the mind of a person who is looking to extremely misjudge. He is one of the hardest working players on the Rebels team, day in and day out. You can't know this until you watch him on a regular basis. To say he "lacks desire" is again something you can't possibly measure but again you seem determined to add to his other misdemeanors.
Hockey4 also had the "tired" argument correct. But let me add a little more...
From the time he was a 16 year old, he played through Christmas (U-17Worlds) with no rest. It the end of that season he went straight to Sweden for the IIHF U-18 Worlds. At the end of that summer (prior to this past season)he went to the other U-18 World Championship in the Czech Republic. In the middle of the season, he played in the Prospects Game. He was relied on heavily this past season in many roles (PP and PK and 1st or 2nd line) This is where many will claim nepotism but was there really anyone else who could do the job as well??? Our team had no depth!!!!! I don't believe BS was lacking conditioning. I believe he was TIRED. It showed in the last half of the season. I'm sure it showed at the U-18 Worlds in Finland from which Icegoth is basing most of his judgements. If there are any questions about BS's abilities, it should be his STAMINA not his conditioning. Conditioning implies that it can get better and that he was out of condition. How can you be out of condition when you play so much? I'm willing to give this kid another year or two to fill his tall and slim frame out a little, then lets see what he has to offer. Finally, it is my understanding that the NHL goes through a rigorous interview process with each of its prospects and this interview plays a major role in understanding if a kid will make in the NHL or not. I'm willing to bet that BS will go higher than his current ranking based on that alone. He has a reputation of being an outstanding individual. I wish him the very best.

FreddieFender
05-05-2007, 02:24 PM
In my opinion, Brandon was a better player than every other 17 year-old on the Rebels team this year. He was also in the top 6 forwards, regardless of age. He deserved more than third or fourth line ice time. One of the reasons why Brandon is rated as high as he is, is the fact that as a 17 year old, he played against the other teams top lines (18 and 19 year olds) for an entire season and very much held his own. Its not best vs best, its younger against older. Scouts consider that too. Now, If you take Brent out of the equation, and had a different coach in the Centrium, do you honestly believe that Brandon would have been a third or fourth line player? I don't. Any thoery along the lines that Brent is showcasing Brandon would be provabe only by either trading Brandon, or bringing in a different coach, neither of which is likely to happen any time soon. These threads have been down that road way too many times before. That being said, I'm not a total fan of Brent's motivational tactics, but he almost pulled off a major upset against Med Hat in round one. He must be doing something right at crunch time. Brent does tend to motivate through fear and embarassment. I also believe Brent has traded the odd player that just didn't respond all that well to his methods. I think Blair Jones has proved that you can develop quite nicely elsewhere. I believe Jordan Knacksteadt will too. And even if it were true that Brent sometimes mixes up the capacity (father vs coach) in which he is dealing with his son (give the guy a break, nobody is perfect), I fail to understand how that will have any affect on Brandon's position in the draft. It might affect team morale, yes, but not draft position...NHL scouts are smarter than that.

RebelsFan
05-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Rebrevs, I would agree with your comments about Brandon. Escpecially the comment about Brandon's personality. He is a heck of a nice young man. He is a gentleman and very polite. Two qualities that can do nothing but move him up the depth charts!

hockey4
05-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I think Blair Jones has proved that you can develop quite nicely elsewhere. I believe Jordan Knacksteadt will too.

In the case of jordan, its tough to compare because the rebels really did get the better side of the deal. They may not have gotten much for Jones, but if i can remember correctly, the rumor floating around when jones was trading was not so much how he played, but his attitude on and off the ice. after reading some comments on the other boards, it was apparent that while putting up points in MJ, his attitude caused some issues in the lockerroom.

SectionNDeserter
05-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I think Blair Jones has proved that you can develop quite nicely elsewhere.I don't think Jones really developed his skills a lot more after he left Red Deer, he was always quite advanced beyond his years--he just started giving 100%, instead of around 50% (his defensive game at times being the 50% he left in the dressing room when he was in Red Deer). Red Deer certainly got the worst of that trade, but it was clearly the best move for both parties, as looking at it from his standpoint, he didn't seem to be overly interested in playing here, and from the team's standpoint, he was becoming a liability.

Knackstedt might have a breakout season next year, but he is certainly running out of time to do this, I hope he can crack the top 2 lines in MJ next season

rebelfan
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
It's nice to have a new voice on the board and it is nice to see an outsider show interest in our hockey team. You made some valuable observations which those of us who see all of hockey through Rebel eyes sometimes miss. I am proud of all of our players and Brandon Sutter is a good kid. I believe he was asked to fill skates that were too big for him and it did not do him any favors other than get him invited as was indicated to every competition possible. He came into the season tired. His father it seemed had only the rankings of the NHL draft in his sights and did what any father would do, push his son. It was not good coaching judgement. Brandon was not good enough to play first line with the Euros but he was pushed to keep up to their pace and by the end of the season, the kid was just running out of steam. Other than hurting his son, his tunnel vision pretty much cost any 17 & 18 year old draft eligilbe player on the Rebel team a fair chance in the draft. Knackstedt and Poulter as examples. They came to the team with huge potential and routinely got 4th lined & demoralized. Just check Knackstedt's stats after getting the go ahead in Moose Jaw.

Rebrevs
05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
..but not quite. Where are you coming from??!! Seriously, you HAVE to be joking. Poulter had many chances but never took advantage of his opportunities. Knacksteadt had even more opportunities on this team. He didn't make the most of his opportunities either. Brandon was one of the few players on the team who COULD play with the Euros. To say he was tired out by being forced to play with the Euros because his dad could see nothing but the draft is completely laughable and ridiculous. :spineyes: Reading icegoth's biased assumptions is easier to understand that what you just came up with Rebelfan.....or is it Longtimefan?

hockey4
05-06-2007, 01:41 AM
well lets see, Playing the likes of Swift Current, Regina, Saskatoon and PA on a regular basis last year would boost anybody;s numbers. Funny how virtually every draft ranking doesnt have Knackstedt in the top 100, so was it really sutter? Knackstedt, from what i saw, never played lower than the fourth line and had 3 years to prove his potential, and never did. Funny how you are giving credit to the "new voice", which has virtually no credible backing, and yet you only have 2 posts yourself. So why did you join, personal agenda?

And yes, Alex Poulter brought tons to the table. he couldnt do anything on the fourth line that would ever warrant a promotion

rebelfan
05-13-2007, 12:11 AM
I must say you are a friendly lot.