PDA

View Full Version : In the eyes of cougar fans

maple leaf
04-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Was the trade to get Setoguchi out of Saskatoon worth giving up 2 first round selections.

old_time_hockey
04-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Well really, in the regular season, he wasn't a factor of the Cougars making the playoffs.

But was huge in their efforts to get to the 3rd round.

So I guess the question you have to ask yourself was the playoff run worth giving away quality future players that could possibly take you on another run but are gone now?

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Is that it was a waste,and sure they made the playoffs,but did not win the Memorial Cup. Maybe they see it differently?

Of course I am a Blades fan,and would have liked to see Setoguchi and the Cougars do well,and they did very well,but I am sure they did not accomplish the goal that they wanted too. I would have liked to see Setoguchi help the Blades make the playoffs this season. Obviously the Blades GM Lorne Molleken is a smart man,and he did what is best for his hockey team. I am sure that the Brodsky connection MAY have had an effect on this deal.

Ok I am done now. So the floor is open to Cougar fans.

habsfan12
04-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Personally, I think the trade was worth while. Old time hockey has a point that he wasnt that great in the regular season, but in the playoffs, he was a big asset to the team... He did do good in the season but i dont think he did as good as people thought. I think next year he will be in San Jose!!!!

GBG BLEED BLUE
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Personally, I think the trade was worth while. Old time hockey has a point that he wasnt that great in the regular season, but in the playoffs, he was a big asset to the team... He did do good in the season but i dont think he did as good as people thought. I think next year he will be in San Jose!!!!
I think he has a decent shot at making the Sharks,but if not he will be in the AHL forsure,and I would be shocked if he was a Cougar again for his overage season. I would hope not,but if he was I would get to see him play again(which would be fun.)

scrunt
04-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Its easy to look back and say that with Seto likely gone next year it was a poor deal. However, I am a believer in taking a few risks if the team looks like it has the makings of a solid playoff contender. In fact, that is what hapened, as it is clear that the Cougars were a team designed for the playoffs.

Had Eric Hunter been healthy for the Giants series, it could have been a different story. Maybe not, but maybe. I doubt if they would have even gotten that far if they hadn't had Seto.

Moreover, the value of the decent playoff run may be have a longer effect if it serves to re-invigorate hockey fans in PG. I don't fully understand the hatred a lot of fans have for the ownership in PG, but it seems to me one of the complaints was a lack of effort in putting together a contending team. If this year's result sways a few fans back in favour of shelling out for tickets next season, it may have been worthwhile. Obviously, those who still hate Brodsky will just say that he has effectively prevented the team from being competitive for years to come, but I don't see it that way. I see it as an attempt to take advantage of a good team by trying to max out on talent for a long playoff run.

In the end, it will be a few years before we know the answer...

Trav
04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Setoguchi helped the Cougars in the playoffs and gave them a chance to go a long way. Elliot will be a top notch d-man for the Blades and no offense to the Cougars but I think the Blades will get a high pick from the Cougars next year since they'll be losing a few of their top players. Benefited the Cougars this year, it'll benefit the Blades next year.

Swando
05-01-2007, 01:46 AM
I think Seto helped the pocket book of the Ownership group and nothing else. He did nothing to live up to his expections for the year. When crunch time came he delivered! Playoffs. Is this a good quality? I say no. Yes he started with an injury but I think he was waiting to showcase himself when it counted ..the Play-Offs. He scored many of his play-off pts on the PP. He was very good BUT against Vancouver they soon figured him out and he had a low series point total.. I am rambling her but to answer MO is no it was not a good deal . 5 on 5 he looked very ordinary BUT Mueller like(Everett) on the PP.

PG gave up way to much to get Seto ( 2 1st rounders). The owners made money due to sell outs in Rd 2 & 3 but they have lost thier 1 rounders for last and this year! Think about it! Looking at what your team's 1st rounders have been...... the last few years Giants would be ...Fistric, Brule, Bertram,Reese, Sexsmith, Wright, Kane. These are stars already or will be. Just MO

puckmam
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Which team does Brodsky's brother own?

rinkrat
05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Which team does Brodsky's brother own?

Saskatoon Blades

WestLEAFfan
05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I certainly don't think anyone could argue that the Seto trade was a bad one. Look where the team got in the play-offs! It was on his back and Cyr's back. Financially speaking, a good move by the PG management. He could come back next year too. No guarantee he cracks an already powerful Shark squad. If he's just going to be a fourth liner, why not come back to PG?

langdak
05-01-2007, 05:03 PM
I certainly don't think anyone could argue that the Seto trade was a bad one. Look where the team got in the play-offs! It was on his back and Cyr's back. Financially speaking, a good move by the PG management. He could come back next year too. No guarantee he cracks an already powerful Shark squad. If he's just going to be a fourth liner, why not come back to PG?

As a 20yr old he could play in the AHL too...........time will tell though.

Cougar Guy
05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Interesting question. IMHO, it was a worthwhile move for a number of reasons:

- He most certainly did assist the Cougars (and their fans) in achieving one of the pre-season goals, which was a lengthy playoff run. Banner or not, nobody in their right mind could argue that making the final four did not meet this goal. It would also be very difficult to argue that he did not play a substantial role in prolonging that playoff run.
- Playing such a key role in that playoff run had a substantial impact on the bottomline of the franchise. We averaged around 5,400 fans for the playoff games, which likely injected at least a half a million dollars of gross income into the coffers of the franchise. Brodsky indicated that because of the playoff run, the team turned a profit this year as opposed to the losses of previous years. I fully know that the discussion of profitablilty is wide open for debate, however, the additional revenue brought in by the run cannot be denied.
- The playoff run was simply exciting and it brought Cougar hockey back "on the map" in PG, even if only for a few weeks. It's up to Cougar management to now take advantage of that energy and sustain it for next year, however, that opportunity does exist.
- The attendance figures during the playoffs should have given a loud and clear message to both Brodsky and the league that PG is indeed a viable WHL market and that the customers are there if the product is.
- It demonstrated to the fans of PG that the organization was willing to take a chance to win RIGHT NOW, which is something that they have historically been criticized for and rightly so.

If they can capitalize on what occured this season, this is a no-brainer . . .

Swando
05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Interesting question. IMHO, it was a worthwhile move for a number of reasons:

- He most certainly did assist the Cougars (and their fans) in achieving one of the pre-season goals, which was a lengthy playoff run. Banner or not, nobody in their right mind could argue that making the final four did not meet this goal. It would also be very difficult to argue that he did not play a substantial role in prolonging that playoff run.
- Playing such a key role in that playoff run had a substantial impact on the bottomline of the franchise. We averaged around 5,400 fans for the playoff games, which likely injected at least a half a million dollars of gross income into the coffers of the franchise. Brodsky indicated that because of the playoff run, the team turned a profit this year as opposed to the losses of previous years. I fully know that the discussion of profitablilty is wide open for debate, however, the additional revenue brought in by the run cannot be denied.
- The playoff run was simply exciting and it brought Cougar hockey back "on the map" in PG, even if only for a few weeks. It's up to Cougar management to now take advantage of that energy and sustain it for next year, however, that opportunity does exist.
- The attendance figures during the playoffs should have given a loud and clear message to both Brodsky and the league that PG is indeed a viable WHL market and that the customers are there if the product is.
- It demonstrated to the fans of PG that the organization was willing to take a chance to win RIGHT NOW, which is something that they have historically been criticized for and rightly so.

If they can capitalize on what occured this season, this is a no-brainer . . .

Cougar Guy: If you read my reply to this post you just affirmed my comments that it was a bad deal for the Cougs accept for the PG brass pocket books. The Cougs now,, will not have a new 1st rounder in their line up until probably 2009 (other that a 5 game call up for the 2008 pic..if they don't trade that away..lol)
I just think that unless it's the final key to your puzzle to capture the Mem Cup you hang onto your 1st pick.. PG gave up 2!

habsfan12
05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
I think he has a decent shot at making the Sharks,but if not he will be in the AHL forsure,and I would be shocked if he was a Cougar again for his overage season. I would hope not,but if he was I would get to see him play again(which would be fun.)

That would be a really big shocker if he didnt make it to the NHL with San Jose, or even to the AHL...But it would be AWESOME if he came back to PG........

Cougar Guy
05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
I just think that unless it's the final key to your puzzle to capture the Mem Cup you hang onto your 1st pick.. PG gave up 2!

I think the thing that you are not factoring in is that another early playoff exit (especially after this team was expected to make a run this year) may have been the proverbial dagger in the heart for this franchise in PG.

It really was to the point where the people of PG would have had an all out revolt againt the franchise if the management group didn't demonstrate that they were serious about winning when it had a chance. This was a critical year for the franchise and looking at the lineup we had when we acquired Seto, one could legitimately say that we did have a shot at a banner this year. Although it didn't work out, you can't fault the attempt.

The real test will be to see how and if management can build off of what was accomplished during the playoff run. If they learn from their past mistakes (and I'm certainly not counting the chickens before they hatch in those regards), this could be the catalyst to turn this ship around for the better. That benefits the franchise, the fans and ultimately the league.

WestLEAFfan
05-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Ultimately, it's the fans of PG that need to step up. Win or lose, there needs to be a committment from the fans. It's evident the COUGS fans care, but can they carry it over to next year's regular season. The Cougars will ice a competetive team next year from the crease out. Get out and support your team PG. I'd love to be able to purchase season tickets and attend games at the CN center! pbj

habsfan12
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Westleafsfan, if u wanna buy some season tickets, than why dont you buy some, ill go on the trips with u!!!!!!!!!

WestLEAFfan
05-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Westleafsfan, if u wanna buy some season tickets, than why dont you buy some, ill go on the trips with u!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thought HABBER! Whose vehicle? haha

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Or you two could cut down the travel costs and buy Season Tickets for the Saskatoon Blades. :clap: :laugh: Also watch Stefan Elliott(although you might not want too since he did not want to play in Prince George) either way make life easier on yourselves and become a Saskatoon Blades Season Ticket Holder like me. :clap: :groovy: haha

habsfan12
05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Your vehicle of course....Or maybe we can borrow the Spruce Moose from the P- boys.....Put a new paint job on it, such as a Cougar Logo!!!!!!! dancing pi

WestLEAFfan
05-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Your vehicle of course....Or maybe we can borrow the Spruce Moose from the P- boys.....Put a new paint job on it, such as a Cougar Logo!!!!!!! dancing pi

Now that's an idea! Perhaps the BLUE and WHITE of the mighty LEAFS might be better! Yeah the spruce moose would definitely fit the bill!

habsfan12
05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
We could put the Blue and White, just to make the Leafs look more pathetic than they already are......Spruce Moose in Blue and White, i could see that...!!!

WestLEAFfan
05-03-2007, 05:20 PM
We could put the Blue and White, just to make the Leafs look more pathetic than they already are......Spruce Moose in Blue and White, i could see that...!!!

Think the Thunder Chicken would make it? We could drag it behind maybe!

habsfan12
05-03-2007, 05:24 PM
We could tie it to the back of the Spruce Moose, just in case it breaks down, cuz we are guarateed the T.C. will make it all the way......!!!!!!!!

WestLEAFfan
05-03-2007, 05:27 PM
We could tie it to the back of the Spruce Moose, just in case it breaks down, cuz we are guarateed the T.C. will make it all the way......!!!!!!!!

But with the T.C. on the side, somebody might think we're Tri City American fans! A new paint job is in order. What do you suggest we go with for a color scheme? Boogaard'd

habsfan12
05-03-2007, 05:31 PM
:thumb: U got a good point there... i think we should paint it red white and blue...but a nicer red color than it is now.......leave the White Racing Stripes...Paint the body blue and the hood red!!!!!!!!The we can put some more stickers on it..etc...and Maybe a BIG HABS logo on the hood.... :thumb: :laugh:

WestLEAFfan
05-03-2007, 05:35 PM
OK, I'll go with that, but I get to redo the interior. I'm thinking leopard skin seat covers. You know we need a CAT/COUGAR theme right. Next, LEAFER floor mats and steering wheel cover and a LEAF NATION personalized license plate. Maybe we should ask J- to come along. You know a third driver is always good.

habsfan12
05-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah, maybe..cuz Blaizer is the best driver around town...If we get tired he could drive..but if you redo the interior..ill hide in the Spruce Moose, way in the back or in the trunk of the T.C., cuz i dont wanna be seen riding in a vehicle with anything to do with the Leafs... I like the Leopard Skin seat covers...that would look sharp!!

WestLEAFfan
05-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, maybe..cuz Blaizer is the best driver around town...If we get tired he could drive..but if you redo the interior..ill hide in the Spruce Moose, way in the back or in the trunk of the T.C., cuz i dont wanna be seen riding in a vehicle with anything to do with the Leafs... I like the Leopard Skin seat covers...that would look sharp!!

BLAIZER, the best driver around town??? You're kidding me right. I'll be hiding in the spruce moose, no check that, hitch hiking if he gets to drive.

habsfan12
05-03-2007, 05:49 PM
haha...yeah i was kidding about the best driver....!!

hannon09
05-03-2007, 08:23 PM
he may not be the best driver in town that blaiser but wow what a car!!

catsfan
05-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Everyone here is saying Set had a crappy regular season but I disagree. Seto was mediocre right up until mid january. from there he lived up to the expectations for the rest of the regular season and the playoffs. There is no doubt in my mind that he was the best player in the whl in the second half of the season.

I think it was a great trade. The cougars have a very low success on highly picked bantamn draft picks. The majority of star players for the cougars were either very late round picks or just camp invites. Eric Brewer was drafted in the last 5 rounds and look where he is now. Being drafted high up doesn't mean as much in the WHL as it does in the NHL.

old_time_hockey
05-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Getting drafted high in the NHL doesn't make a superstar either.

Of the kids that got picked yesterday in the Bantam draft, I would be curious to see how many of the top 4 round players are playing in the WHL in 2 years and how many of the 5-8 rounders are playing. And are the 1st rounders living up to what people thought.

Jonathan Blum was a 7th rounder in 2004. And now he is on the top D pairing heading into a second WHL Finals.

I forget who said it, but anyone can come up with gold in the opening rounds. A good GM/scouting staff comes up with gold mid pack.

Sput
05-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Drafting at the bantam level is a crap shoot at best. There are always later bloomers in any situation. Just because a guy is lighting it up in bantam AAA might mean his development has plateaued and isn't going to excel in his development, whereas someone picked later, maybe not as good 'right now' as a high pick, could still be developing at a faster pace.

I've heard some coaches say that they would sooner have a group of hard workers than a group of superstars. The hard working guys have likely always had to work at their skills more, listen to coaches more intently, and just do whatever they get asked to do. The superstar sometimes (not always) can have a chip on his shoulders, and doesn't want to do the assignments that a coach might give him, if it isn't what HE thinks he is to be doing.

Takes you back to the saying "hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard".