PDA

View Full Version : Stocking up for the future

nivek_wahs
05-02-2007, 01:45 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64517&Itemid=160

Stocking up for the future
Cougars pick 10th

JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor
(Sports) Tuesday, 01 May 2007

The Prince George Cougars need at least nine new players for next season, but what they do on Thursday won't help in the short-term.

The annual Western Hockey League bantam draft, which takes place in Calgary, will let the top 1992-born prospects know which team holds their rights. Those players can only play five regular season games next year.

That means Dallas Thompson, the general manager of the Cougars, will spend the next little while pouring over the team's list of older prospects, searching for ways to fill the open holes on the roster.

"With the bantam draft, you never really know what you have until two or three years down the road, but it's part of the process of building a team in this league," said Thompson.

Thompson has some catch-up to do because he spent the last six months of the season helping associate head coach Drew Schoneck on the bench and found very little time to help the scouting staff.

That means the scouts, led by director of player personnel Daryl Lubiniecki and head scout Russ Smart, have to prove their worth to the organization. Thompson will have very little say in Thursday's bantam selections as scouts Derek Gale, Kelly Kursteiner, Hugh Scobie and Colin Brisebois will be at the table.

"With the meetings we'll have (today) I'll get filled in on some things, but I haven't seen a whole bunch of bantams this year and that leaves it up to Russ, Lubie and our other scouts," said Thompson.

In a draft said to have no more than a dozen high-end players, Prince George will pick 10th overall. The Cougars have all their picks except two -- their fourth-rounder, surrendered to Red Deer for Vladimir Mihalik, and their fifth-rounder, sent to Everett for defenceman Randy King, who was packaged to Lethbridge with Ryan Kerr for Kalvin Sagert and Jesse Dudas.

Thompson does not have a first-rounder for 2008, that pick given up to get Devin Setoguchi.

Thompson would consider trading the pick only if he gets an offer that bowls him over. The WHL has trade restrictions in place right now to prevent teams from colluding and hiding players in advance of the June 5 expansion draft that will help the Edmonton Oil Kings establish their first roster.

"I think we'll stay with what we have unless someone gives us a good offer to move down, or we feel we need to move up to get a guy we really want," he said.

"Usually, by this time you have the first five or six picks figured out, but I don't think we're past (first overall) yet. Every year they say there are about 12 guys and then it gets thin."