PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Kyle

Scout
05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Kyle Moir - 2007 WHL Humanitarian of the Year
MAY 2 - The Swift Current Broncos are proud to announce that 5 year goaltender Kyle Moir has won the Doug Wickenheiser Memorial Trophy as the Western Hockey Leagues Humanitarian of the Year for the 2006/07 season.

Moir won the award after appearing in a Canadian Hockey League record 233 career games played in a Broncos uniform and is also the new record holder for minutes played by a Canadian Hockey League goaltender. Moir was heavily involved in the Prairie Post Reading Program during his tenure with the Broncos and also spent countless hours around the entire Southwest, SK community with various other programs.

“Kyle did an extraordinary job for the hockey club during his time with the Broncos and is very deserving of this award,” commented Broncos Director of Public Relations and Game Day Operations Brad Boutilier. “Kyle was a big help with all of our player appearances over the course of the year and it is nice to see him recognized on a Western Hockey League level for all of the efforts he has put in during his five years with the team. He did a tremendous job to always represent the organization in a positive manner and we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.”

Toswammi
05-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Good job, have to agree with some ppl that say the CHL records didnt hurt the cause.

Scout
05-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Kyle Moir made sure he left his mark on the Western Hockey League in his fifth and final season with the Swift Current Broncos.

Not only did the 20-year-old Calgary, AB, product write his name in the WHL record books, he capped his final season of Major Junior hockey with some prestigious hardware for his trophy cabinet after earning the Doug Wickenheiser Award as the League’s Humanitarian of the Year.

“I didn’t expect it,” said Moir after receiving the award at the 2007 WHL Awards Luncheon in Calgary, AB, on Wednesday, May 3rd.

“When I found out I was nominated for the award, I thought it was pretty cool,” said the 6’ 3”, 199-pound netminder. “It was nice to win, but I should really thank the community of Swift Current for allowing me to be a part of their community for five years.”

And the Swift Current community is equally thankful for the five years Moir spent there since his arrival as a 16-year-old rookie in 2003-04. After all, the Doug Wickenheiser Trophy is presented annually to a player for not only their contributions to their team, but to what they have given back to the community in which they live. Moir certainly has given plenty back to the Swift Current community that he has called home for the last five years.

A tireless worker in the community, Moir involved himself in many Broncos’ initiatives in the Swift Current Community including the Prairie Post Broncos Reading Program, the Broncos Mentorship Program, the Broncos School Program and the RCMP One-On-One Program.

“Kyle did an extraordinary job for the hockey club during his time with the Broncos and is very deserving of this award,” commented Broncos Director of Public Relations and Game Day Operations Brad Boutilier to the Southwest Booster.

“Kyle was a big help with all of our player appearances over the course of the year and it is nice to see him recognized on a Western Hockey League level for all of the efforts he has put forth in during his five years with the team. He did a tremendous job to always represent the organization in a positive manner,” he added.

One of Moir’s most enjoyable community appearances was getting the chance work with elementary school children twice a month in a reading program.

"The kids really like us coming in and doing some homework with them,” said Moir.

Of course, Moir has also had a tremendous impact on the ice for the Broncos over his five-year WHL career.

A fixture in the Broncos’ cage ever since his full-time arrival during the 2003-04 campaign – he appeared in seven games as a 15-year-old in 2002-03 – Moir broke two long-standing WHL records when he surpassed the WHL and CHL’s all-time regular-season games played by a goaltender with his 230th appearance for the Broncos in Regina on March 7th.

“It was very cool to break those two records,” said Moir, who now holds the mark with 233 career games played and 12,774 minutes played, which he set on home ice on March 10th versus the Brandon Wheat Kings. “(The Broncos) did a great job in recognizing the record...they gave me a big picture and the game pucks.”

Now finished his five years in the WHL, Moir will soon have to look to the future. While he’d like to keep playing hockey, Moir also knows he has the luxury of five years worth of scholarship money earned during his WHL career that he can put towards a post-secondary education.

“Right now, I’m looking at different schools and using my WHL scholarship money,” said Moir, who was drafted by the Nashville Predators in 2004 but is currently a free agent.

“Hopefully, there are some pro opportunities out there, but we’ll see how the summer pans out and go from there,” said Moir.

© Canadian Hockey League 2007

Flathead
05-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Way to go Kyle, very deserving.

Dwight Schrute
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
i still find it unreal that nashville didnt sign him. especially considering their weak prospect depth in that position. hopefully he gets a pro deal !

SuckItUp
05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks Kyle. You will be missed in the community and in the dressing room. I wish you the all the best where ever your career may take you

2,5,andagame
05-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Moir has went to the Laredo Bucks of the CHL. They are in the finals, this is the same team James Hiebert plays for.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/teamroster.html?teamid=3114&seasonid=1744

neutral
05-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Moir has went to the Laredo Bucks of the CHL. They are in the finals, this is the same team James Hiebert plays for.

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/teamroster.html?teamid=3114&seasonid=1744

Does this mean he has signed something that would jeopardize his 5 years of scholarship money?

Scout
05-14-2007, 02:33 PM
That is only if he was offered a scholorship from the U.S. which fall under NCAA rules. When he played his first Bronco game way back he lost his eligibility for a U.S. scholorship because the C.H.L. they say is semi pro because the players get a fee for playing. There is no such rule in Canada and Canadian Universities love ex C.H.L. players. He can still collect his full 5 years of his scholorship i believe.

Scout

broncos
05-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes, thats true but as soon as you sign a pro contract after your CHL years, you lose your 5 years scholarship you made by playing in the CHL. I wonder if Moir signed a contract or just an affiliate tryout

Scout
05-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Never knew that but it makes sense. Laredo has two goalies now so i'm sure Dean is repaying Kyle for his 5 years of loyalty to the team by using his contacts to get Kyle a look at. Good for him and i hope he gets noticed.

Scout

dubfan
05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
You can play a full year of minor pro and still use your WHL scholarship money after that. Good for Kyle and Dean if he helped him with the exposure I'm sure Dean assisted in Levi getting to play on Providence as well.

Big Ern
05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Levi's team was ousted from the Calder Cup playoffs last night by the Manchester Monarchs. The series went six games.

He believes he will be flying home Wednesday or Thursday.

Great experience. It'll be great for him.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

d-man
05-27-2007, 12:35 AM
The awards keep coming with Kyle being named CHL Humanitarian of the Year at the CHL Awards on Saturday. applause

Courtesy whl.ca
http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=7072

Kyle Moir of the Swift Current Broncos was named the Home Hardware Humanitarian of the Year. Moir went above and beyond his commitments with the Broncos as he was involved in numerous events including, weekly school visits, Special Olympics Saskatchewan and the Prairie Post Broncos Reading Program. Moir matched his community dedication on the ice as he became the CHL’s all-time games played record holder for a goalie.