PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver & Rockets Fit To Be Tied

Kassian
03-06-2005, 02:34 AM

The Vancouver Giants turned in one of their best defensive efforts of the season, skating to a 1-1 tie with the Kelowna Rockets. Leading 1-0 twelve minutes into the third period, only a bit of bad luck led to the saw-off. Needless to say, 9694 fans got full value for their tickets in this playoff-style affair.

Star centre Gilbert Brule scored the Giants lone tally at 10:42 of the middle frame while on a powerplay. The sniper potted his 36 th of the season when he snapped a shot past Kelowna goalie Derek Yeomans from the top of the faceoff circle to the netminder's right. Tyler Spurgeon was the recipient of a turnover caused by Justin Keller on the Rockets' only goal.

Giants goalie Marek Schwarz sparkled, making 29 stops, nearly double that of Yeomans, who faced just 16 Vancouver shots on goal.

After a disappointing 4-2 loss to Portland on Friday the Giants came back with a grittier effort against Kelowna .

“We played hard and we played physical and we did a lot of good things that we can build on,” Giants' bench boss Don Hay said. “We rebounded well from last night's effort and a definite positive (step). It was almost like the 2-1 game that we lost (to Kelowna on January 29 th ) – it was another solid effort.”

Giants' blueliners tightened the screws, especially around Schwarz. They held the Rockets mostly in check after giving up 12 shots in the first period, 10 in the second and just one in overtime.

“We were a lot better defensively tonight than we were last night,” Hay said. “There wasn't any nervousness in our game. We were real solid and in the third period they only got seven shots. We played well enough to give ourselves a shot to win.”

Team captain Triston Grant praised rookie Keith Voytechek, who took Adam Courchaine's spot on the second line tonight. The Giants' all-time leading scorer and assist leader this year sat out his first game of 2004/05 due to illness. The 20-year-old broke out in hives after experiencing a bad reaction to some medication for pink eye.

"We responded really well from last night,” Grant said, echoing his coach's sentiments. “We played solid physically for 40 minutes and one mistake at in the third cost us. Surprise, surprise, they capitalized which is the story it's seemed to be lately. We're happy, but we're not really too satisfied with the tie.”

Despite the shots on goal disparity, the Giants essentially carried the play, frustrating the Rockets at every turn. Brule's powerplay marker came as the result of Kelowna players losing their cool in a tightly played affair.

“It was a very intense game,” Hay said, possibly looking toward the playoffs. “The intensity (level) was high and everyone competed hard.”

Vancouver heads to Kamloops for a Sunday evening game then rests until next weekend when they play a double-header in Prince George on Friday and Saturday.

Kassian
03-06-2005, 02:36 AM
The Giants definitely played better tonight. Especially Schwarz. I was proud of him tonight. Strong comeback game after such a poor game on friday night against Portland.

However...

The Giants nearly blew the game in the 3rd period and in OT. You could definitely see the real Giants team then.

If only they could actually play like they did in the 1st and 2nd period. If they could do that consistantly, they could be a contender...

Jimmy
03-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Or if Cunning could find the back of the net :mad: :mad:

Kassian
03-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Or if Cunning could find the back of the net :mad: :mad:

How many empty nets does he have to miss before he finally gets one?

Jimmy
03-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Sounds like we need to start a pool

Kassian
03-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Sounds like we need to start a pool

I know.

We almost started a pool in my section on when Schwarz would give up the first weak goal. But unfortunately he played pretty good tonight, LOL.

But seriously. Cunning has had so many empty nets in the past few games and he hasn't been able to score on any of them. It is getting quite ridiculous...

Sput
03-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Looks like this sets up an interesting situation for three in a row against the Cougs. You could say these are two teams with different motivations right now. Vancouver is playing for consistancy and wins going into the playoffs, while the Cats are playing for consistancy and their playoff lives. The Giants have no chance of catching the Ice or Rockets, while Kamloops and PG can't catch them. I guess we have to wait and see who the more motivated club is come friday now. :groovy:

amisk
03-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Too many errors on defence..Fisty looked great..but still a little rusty. Seems to me that the team need some leadership back there, maybe it will come in the playoffs. I am also thinking its our size, we were outplayed and outhit in our own end, couldn't get the puck out...big breakdowns at times. I just can't understand why Brule is the one making the highlight body checks and no protection from the big boys!! He won't have much left if we make a run for it..I M.O. And Swartz...never mind, I said enough. Comments? :)

Chipper
03-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Congratulations on the tie last night and stealing a point from the Rockets. all the Ice fans were cheering for you, how many more games do you have against the Rockets?

amisk
03-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Congratulations on the tie last night and stealing a point from the Rockets. all the Ice fans were cheering for you, how many more games do you have against the Rockets?
I belive 2 ..18th and 19Th home & home..probably more to come!!

Beaner
03-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Have to agree with Kassian, the giants played well for 2 periods and then in the thrid decided to sit on the lead again. I think they were lucky to get out with the tie.

Fistric looked good again, but you could definatley tell he was starting to tire near the end of the 3rd.

It was nice to see the younger guys get some ice time with Courchaine out, thought Reese, Lamb, and Voytechek played well, considering they don't get a lot of ice time when they are even in the lineup.

Kassian
03-06-2005, 03:10 PM
It was nice to see the younger guys get some ice time with Courchaine out, thought Reese, Lamb, and Voytechek played well, considering they don't get a lot of ice time when they are even in the lineup.

I agree. Forgot to mention that. Both Reese and Voyetchek played with some passion! They actually threw hits out there. It was amazing. Maybe they both learned if you go out there and establish a physical game you get more scoring opportunities. Hopefuly it wasn't a one time fluke.

However, Voyetchek almost cost the Giants the game when he couldn't clear the puck TWICE while the Rockets were pressuring. That can't happen consistantly.

I don't know why some people are saying Fistric looked rusty. Hell, he looked better than any of the Giants defensemen not only last night against Kelowna but on friday against Portland as well. If only they could learn from him...

Knuckles Muldoon
03-06-2005, 04:31 PM
I just can't understand why Brule is the one making the highlight body checks and no protection from the big boys!! :)
What big boys?? The Giants don't have a forward over 6'1" !!! They are certainly the only team in the league with that dubious claim. And therein lies our problem come playoff time. We won't win enough battles along the walls with our small forward group. Grant will get his share, as will Bartley, as will Cunning, as will Brule. But after that, we lose big-time. Courchaine, Kraus, Lamb, Reese, Robinson, Voytechuk, Scharff, Costanzo, etc don't win too damn many. The wild card? JD Watt. If he plays like a bulldog EVERY night, that would help. But for a grinder, he doesn't get enough done in that regard. But he's still young and should be much-improved next year. And Fisty was great last night. Our only chance of winning playoff games comes from keeping the scoring chances to a minimum. Schwarz isn't solid enough and we can't outscore teams. If the D doesn't come up BIG, we're sunk.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Looks like this sets up an interesting situation for three in a row against the Cougs. You could say these are two teams with different motivations right now. Vancouver is playing for consistancy and wins going into the playoffs, while the Cats are playing for consistancy and their playoff lives. The Giants have no chance of catching the Ice or Rockets, while Kamloops and PG can't catch them. I guess we have to wait and see who the more motivated club is come friday now. :groovy:
Great. Just great. Now a game against Kamloops followed by 3(!) against PG. One can almost hear the sound of eyelids slamming shut at the prospect of that 4-game yawnfest. :rolleyes:

Kassian
03-06-2005, 05:49 PM
I just can't understand why Brule is the one making the highlight body checks and no protection from the big boys!!

Did you not see Grant out there? Every single night Grant is usually the only Giants player throwing huge hits left and right. Brule has been invisible lately. Last night he threw some hits but other than that he hasn't been hitting much at all.

amisk
03-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Did you not see Grant out there? Every single night Grant is usually the only Giants player throwing huge hits left and right. Brule has been invisible lately. Last night he threw some hits but other than that he hasn't been hitting much at all.
He is a goal scorer, for crying out loud. ;) should be in the slot firing bullets not in the box or the corners,as for Grant!! He has carried a huge load for this team since we lost Kassian.woo hoo..Jenning..is doing Great!!!...woo again :bounce: The Giants just scored...1-0 go get'em

Kassian
03-07-2005, 12:30 AM
He is a goal scorer, for crying out loud. ;) should be in the slot firing bullets not in the box or the corners,as for Grant!! He has carried a huge load for this team since we lost Kassian.woo hoo..Jenning..is doing Great!!!...woo again :bounce: The Giants just scored...1-0 go get'em

Grant hasn't been fighting lately. He needs to step it up! The team plays much better when he does. Since losing Kassian we have been terrible! Our record is a pitiful 8-14-3. :skeptical

Yes, Brule should be scoring goals. But he has been off lately. He is having too many hot/cold streaks. Plays great against Kamloops during the back to back series two weekends ago then goes cold until the Giants played against Kelowna, then again is held scoreless for several games until the most recent Kelowna game last night. If the Giants are to be successful he needs to show up more often. As does Courchaine. He has been even worse than Brule lately...

Beaner
03-07-2005, 10:58 AM
As does Courchaine. He has been even worse than Brule lately...

Courchaine always goes through these hot and cold streaks. Hopefully he works through it again, and then turns it on for the playoffs. October for him this year was a complete disaster for him.

Brule though is going to have to learn that the clutching grabbing and other garbage that people throw at him is only going to get worse, and he is just going to have to take it, otherwise he will get the penalty, as the refs love to call the retaliation penalties.

Kassian
03-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Courchaine always goes through these hot and cold streaks. Hopefully he works through it again, and then turns it on for the playoffs. October for him this year was a complete disaster for him.

Brule though is going to have to learn that the clutching grabbing and other garbage that people throw at him is only going to get worse, and he is just going to have to take it, otherwise he will get the penalty, as the refs love to call the retaliation penalties.

I think Brule is going to struggle in the playoffs. Well then again the entire team will.

It really sucks. I hate looking at this team on paper because they should be so much better... :skeptical