PDA

View Full Version : 2007 draft

Red celtic
05-03-2007, 09:48 AM
With their first pick Red Deer picked Connor Redmond a 6'1" 170 lb. power forward out of the Burnaby Winter bantam AAA club. The scouting news had him ranked # 12. :thumb:

Shinyshoes
05-03-2007, 11:49 AM
In the second round (33rd overall) the Rebels Picked Alexander Petrovic of Edmonton. Petrovic is a Defenceman 6'1", 150 lb.

Now i will start the trade speculation up. Red Deer aquired Tri-Cities 3rd round pick today, details of the deal have not been released yet. (Berube or Eidsness anyone?) With the pick, Red Deer chose Brad Deagle: D, 5'10", 182 lb.

Next pick for the rebels is in the 5th round, 96th overall.

WHL Rules
05-03-2007, 11:59 AM
In the second round (33rd overall) the Rebels Picked Alexander Petrovic of Edmonton. Petrovic is a Defenceman 6'1", 150 lb.

Now i will start the trade speculation up. Red Deer aquired Tri-Cities 3rd round pick today, details of the deal have not been released yet. (Berube or Eidsness anyone?) With the pick, Red Deer chose Brad Deagle: D, 5'10", 182 lb.

Next pick for the rebels is in the 5th round, 96th overall.

I might be wrong, but it could be a pick swap. The Rebels gave Tri City their 4th round pick (85th) from MH and their 5th round pick (95th) from PA.

Shinyshoes
05-03-2007, 12:01 PM
More rumors:

Part of the Tri-City deal included us giving them a 4th round pick, 87th overall. This adds an additional twist, because that pick was suppost to belong to Medicine Hat.

Conclusion: There must have been an additional deal with MH to aquire that pick prior to us trading it to TC. Interesting.

Also: On the WHL Draft page, the 96th pick is no longer listed as Red Deer's Pick, but now listed as Swift Current's Pick. Either the WHL page was wrong before, wrong now or there has been a 3rd deal with Swift.

I love Draft Day!

WHL Rules
05-03-2007, 12:08 PM
More rumors:

Part of the Tri-City deal included us giving them a 4th round pick, 87th overall. This adds an additional twist, because that pick was suppost to belong to Medicine Hat.

Conclusion: There must have been an additional deal with MH to aquire that pick prior to us trading it to TC. Interesting.

Also: On the WHL Draft page, the 96th pick is no longer listed as Red Deer's Pick, but now listed as Swift Current's Pick. Either the WHL page was wrong before, wrong now or there has been a 3rd deal with Swift.

I love Draft Day!

It's now the 95th pick (the WHL doesn't count the 92nd pick Saskatoon lost) and it went to TC and I don't know why we owned the MH pick but that was already in the draft preview of the Advocate.

RebelsFan
05-03-2007, 01:31 PM
From the drafts we have seen Red Deer take today I don't think anyone can say Sutter hockey has changed over to a Medicine Hat style of game with smaller players. Red Deer seems to be drafting the big boys same as always.

Shinyshoes
05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Shinyshoes could be right. It may be Berube going to TriCities as Sutter doesn't have the balls to trade him to a central division rival.Its obvious that you are his (Insert Relation here: Dad, Uncle, Grandfather, ect.) and I for one will be glad when he gets traded so I wont have to read you continuous banter about how terrible Sutter is. Sutter is like Mike Keenan. Some people can play for him, some can't. Live with it.

Now back to the draft:

You were right, WHLRules, the MH Deal had to have gone down before today. The 95th pick we got from Moose Jaw for Eric Frere.

Red Deer also picked up the 106 pick from Regina. Not sure what for. With the pick we got a goaltender, Cam Gorchynski.

I dont know if we are making deals, or the WHL draft page is hooped, but we were listed as having picks at 125, and 128, but now the 125th pick is showing as Tri-City and the 128 is ours and we picked defenceman Kevin Woodyatt.

Next pick (If the WHL page is right) is round 7, 135th overall.

Shinyshoes
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Surprise surprise, the WHL Site was wrong (or we made yet another trade) the 135 pick was Kelowna's.

We picked 143rd and took LW Adam Kambeitz from Coaldale, AB.

For the smile of the day, Brandon Wheat Kings selected Wheaton King in the 6th round.

SectionNDeserter
05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Shinyshoes could be right. It may be Berube going to TriCities as Sutter doesn't have the balls to trade him to a central division rival.It has nothing to do with the size of one's kajones. Trading a player to another team within your division always has the potential to look really bad for you, regardless of who the player is--which is why you rarely ever see deals between ANY inter-divisional teams.

SectionNDeserter
05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
From the drafts we have seen Red Deer take today I don't think anyone can say Sutter hockey has changed over to a Medicine Hat style of game with smaller players. Red Deer seems to be drafting the big boys same as always."Medicine Hat style of game" doesn't necessarily mean small, it just means they can skate. You can be both big and have wheels.

For the smile of the day, Brandon Wheat Kings selected Wheaton King in the 6th round.I don't think he would have been a good fit anywhere else. :D

hockey4
05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
From the drafts we have seen Red Deer take today I don't think anyone can say Sutter hockey has changed over to a Medicine Hat style of game with smaller players. Red Deer seems to be drafting the big boys same as always.

ferraro, frasier, kot, morrin (by trade), mappin, krugevich(spelling???), edwards, ect.... all average size players who can skate. i would hardly say he hasnt changed his drafting style as the rebels have adopted a much faster style of playing which involves smaller players. I dont know the sizes of all of them, but the second pick is 5'10, and the first was 6'1. The scouts know the players best and maybe they felt the first rounder was at his max height, which hardly makes him tall at 6'1, and well 5'10, hardly big. After watching games this year with the new kids that are emerging, there is no question the rebels are smaller and faster than in previous years. unfortuntley some people on this board only try to find negatives in sutter, and therefore every board topic turns into an anti-pro sutter debate. Hes not perfect, but come on people, the team is one of the most respected in all of the CHL.

RebelsFan
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Kot, Morrin , Krgovich (sp) and Edwards are smaller players by anyones standard. I would say that 5'10" is taller than Kot, Krgovich and Edwards. So I'm saying they are still drafting bigger players in the early rounds. This is not Sutter bashing in any way. I think he is a h*ll of a coach. I'm only saying that maybe people thought he was going to go with a smaller, faster draft but that doesn't seem to be the case. SectionN said that bigger doesn't need to mean slower and I would agree. But, that being said, the smaller player better have speed to burn.

hockey4
05-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Kot, Morrin , Krgovich (sp) and Edwards are smaller players by anyones standard. I would say that 5'10" is taller than Kot, Krgovich and Edwards. So I'm saying they are still drafting bigger players in the early rounds.

5'10 still aint that big, thing is, now that they have some smaller players, theres no harm in taking a power forward. watching hame 5 of anaheim-vancouver, getzlaf is running the show. there is still plenty of room in hockey for a big power forward.