PDA

View Full Version : Blades punished for WHL's negligence

nivek_wahs
05-05-2007, 07:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=958c436b-1247-4daf-a288-32184f01ca9b

Blades punished for WHL's negligence

Doug Mcconachie, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, May 05, 2007
When Lorne Molleken asked a 15-year-old if he would report to the Saskatoon Blades in the event he was drafted by the team, it didn't seem like an issue.

Molleken was apparently doing exactly what many WHL clubs do in the lead-up to the bantam draft. The young man in question -- who will remain anonymous so as not to embarrass him, because he did nothing wrong -- said yes, he'd play for the Blades. He even signed a standard player agreement to prove his commitment.

But then other teams came knocking.

The player told them he was already committed to the Blades.

It's obvious why Molleken did what he did. Call it due diligence.

Suppose the young man said no to playing in Saskatoon.

Suppose he wanted to play only in certain cities, say Seattle or Vancouver or Calgary or Edmonton. Or suppose he wanted no part of the WHL at all and planned to go the U.S. college route instead. Armed with that knowledge, Molleken could pick someone else rather than burn a draft pick on a player who had no intention of playing here.

A year ago the Spokane Chiefs had a similar problem.

Saskatoon's Jared Cowen, a strapping 6-foot-5 defenceman who was on every team's must-have list, was telling hockey people beforehand that he wasn't interested in going to Spokane, which had the No. 1 pick.

"As of now, we told them that if they pick me, I wouldn't be playing there," Cowen told The StarPhoenix before the draft.

Not that Cowan didn't want to play in the WHL, it's just that he wanted to play somewhere other than Spokane.

No rules for draft Spokane general manager Tim Speltz didn't give in. He wanted Cowen and he was willing to take his chances. As it turns out Cowen had second thoughts.

Now 16, he is penciled in for the Chiefs' lineup for this fall. Good for Speltz. Good for Cowen.

The problem Molleken created hinges on what would have happened if Moose Jaw, Kelowna or Edmonton, the teams with the first three picks in the draft, had selected the player only to find out he had already committed to Saskatoon. Obviously the signature on the Saskatoon form wouldn't have been worth a plug nickel and he'd be another team's player. But what if he said 'I'm going only to Saskatoon.'? The draft was created to prevent a team from hoarding talent by offering or promising more than other teams could match.

It works to the extent that every team in the WHL can draft from any place in Western Canada or even the western United States.

But here's the problem: There are no rules that say Molleken couldn't do what he did.

Blades owner Jack Brodsky says rather than rules, there has been an understanding among WHL teams about the draft procedure. Because Molleken went outside "that convention" he and the Blades have to pay a price.

Molleken says he made an honest mistake, but is willing to abide by the punishment.

In other words, he is willing to have his wrist slapped to protect both the integrity of the draft and the integrity of the WHL. He said he explained his actions to every team in the league.

"There was never an attempt to discredit any other team," he said.

When the WHL head honchos asked him what happened, he openly admitted what he'd done.

"I didn't think what I did was wrong." If Molleken and the Blades are to have their wrists slapped -- their penalty was losing a fifth-round draft pick -- the WHL as a group should have their bottoms kicked.

What Molleken did wasn't anything new. Commissioner Ron Robison even admitted it, although he said this was the first time the league had proof.

If the league knew it was happening before, why wasn't it addressed before? Robison told The StarPhoenix's Cory Wolfe the matter will be addressed. If that's the fallout from what Molleken did, so much the better. But to think that the league has only word-of-mouth guidelines for the draft and not a firm policy suggests something is seriously lacking.

Maybe that's why the WHL didn't want to be forthcoming about the incident until a bit of sleuthing and an interview with the young man involved forced the issue.

That's no way to run a professional league.

dmccconachie@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Wow I wish they would give it a rest already,the issue is over and the Blades have been punished. I am sick of reading stuff about this in the paper(what seems to be day after day) It was a mistake and Molleken knows he did wrong. So why can't they be like Molleken and move on with their job? :mad:

Why can't everyone just put this in the past and move on with their life? :mad: :evil:

Sorry for the rant but I have seriously had enough of this topic. I know the media loves to do this kind of stuff.

Five Hole
05-05-2007, 10:40 AM
The point of the article is a good one. Rather than a 'general understanding', there should be firm rules in place about this.
And, I think if a firm rule was to be made, it would have to clearly state that no team can sign any player to any type of players agreement or education contract until after that team has officially selected that player in the draft.
To allow any team to do otherwise is a very slippery slope.
The integrity of the bantam draft would be gone. Common practice or not, it goes against the very reason the draft was put in place in the first place.
Sure, every potential draftee is interviewed by anywhere from 1 to 22 different teams as to whether they would play for them if picked.
Most kids are pleased to play anywhere. Some, and their parents, understandably have preferences. If the team asks the right questions and gets the feeling the kid would rather not play for a team far from home, or he's thinking going the college route, then move on. But, if the kid indicates he would play for you, you have to take him at his word, and take your chances.
To have a written rule in the WHL allowing signed agreements before draft day is hopefully something we're not going to see anytime soon. I think long term parity and competitiveness throughout the league would be even less likely than it is now with that kind of a system.

howley
05-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I really like how Molleken handled it. He just manned up with no questions. Shows alot of class IMO.

Trav
05-05-2007, 11:18 AM
but luckily it was just a 5th rounder they lost. Could've been higher I guess. I agree Molleken did nothing wrong here, just doing what every other team does. I think people on here and those on the whl msg board that was blasting him and the team should apologise. Wasnt like he was trying to steal a guy.

So what if the kid told the others teams he'd already sign a contract. That shouldnt stop them from taking the guy. All that would happen next is that the contract with the Blades would be voided, should be as simple as that.

Thats all I'm going to say about this, the draft is over with and the Blades like what they got so good enough for me lol. Wont guess who the player was cuz it shouldnt matter now.

I also agree with the newspaper in today's article. Like seriously if ur going to have rules, put it in instead of just going by a mutual understanding or whatever. How hard is it to type it in to a rulebook lol, not hard at all but maybe the league pays their office staff poorly just like they pay the usual crappy ref that they have working.