PDA

View Full Version : Scouts For The Dub

WHL 2008
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know if their is a list to go by...we live in a small community and I was wondering how I can help out my son , who has the talent to make it in the draft next year. I know , your going to say if he is good they will know about him... I was hoping though if a person could send out some type of friendly letter asking if they could attend or come check him out.

Or should a get a Advisor ( agent) for him and let them put the word out.... (do they do this for the kids at this age (bantam)

any thoughts? comments?

thanks for your time :clap:

skinnyhead
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Try to get him into on of the top teams in your area that you know will get noticed.

Five Hole
05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know if their is a list to go by...we live in a small community and I was wondering how I can help out my son , who has the talent to make it in the draft next year. I know , your going to say if he is good they will know about him... I was hoping though if a person could send out some type of friendly letter asking if they could attend or come check him out.

Or should a get a Advisor ( agent) for him and let them put the word out.... (do they do this for the kids at this age (bantam)

any thoughts? comments?

thanks for your time :clap:

Here's an interesting site that you might want to look at.
http://www.playyourgame.com/home.html
It gives you some good suggestions about the opportunities that are out there for players with potential and it also has some commentary about how to get noticed. Sounds like just what you're looking for, so hopefully it will be of some help.
The only other suggestion I have is that all the individual team web sites (or most of them) list various staff including scouts. And all the teams have a 'contact us' link.
If nothing else, just tell your son to play at the highest level he can next year, stop just about every shot that comes his way, and we'll see him in the Dub in a couple of years! :thumb:

P.S. I'm assuming your son is the one who is the goalie who was asking about the bantam draft in another thread! My apologies if he isn't!

Warrior Fan
05-09-2007, 11:19 AM
It is very successful. Tape him in game situations and send them in showing what he can do.
it has worked well as a scouting and recruiting tool for many football players.

Also, drop a line on one of the scouting pages list team name and stats and let them know how to find you. make it as easy as possible.

Is he playing in a small community or something where scouts would get lost going to?
It does happen. They can't always get everywhere and if you want him to get drafted then do what you have to.

I guess the draft isn't the end all and be all of hockey though. You could easily go to a team or contact a couple of teams and let them know you are interested in attending the rookie camp. I am sure they will not turn you away. Nice thing is you are picking where you want him to play if he doesn't get drafted next year.

Flathead
05-10-2007, 06:44 PM
There's a young kid in Swift here that is imo one of the best players for his age. A couple of his buddies have been asked to play summer hockey with team Sask, this youngster would easily be playing as well but has a very poor attitude, so he wasn't even asked. The kid has zero idea of the talent that he has for a 10 year old. He's a good kid, just needs a little direction. I've been hoping I could get someone to talk to him as well. Hopefully his attitude can change in the next few years.

Scout
05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I would send a letter to some of the teams and start with a team you prefer him to try out for. Ask if the team is aware of your son through team scouts. Send the letter to your teams in preferance of #1 to #10. Also if possible get and attach letters of recomendations from their coaches. They will have no problem doing this unless your son has an attitude.

You mention your son plays in a small community. That shouldn't matter. All junior teams have a multitude of scouts beating the bush in small towns looking for players that may have been missed. It can happen. Case in point is Levi Nelson of the Swift Current Broncos. Was never drafted but was noticed at a tournament and was invited to camp. Made the team and led the Broncos in points last year and got drafted by the Boston Bruins.

I'm sure if your son is good he would have been noticed by somebody but like i said above some fall thru the cracks. Altough skill is still a major factor on getting listed, alot of teams also look at a players attitude and if he would be a team player.