PDA

View Full Version : Gm 3 preview thread.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the next two games will be two of the very best junior hockey games we ever see in Vancouver, period. Today, the day dragged on forever and tomorrow will be even worse. I simply cannot wait for the puck to hit the ice tomorrow. I sincerely hope MedHat are prepared for tomorrow, because I think they are going to get blitzed by a hyperactive Giant squad. I think the Giants will dump the whole Dorsett issue and be out to dominate the proceedings and nail every Tiger in sight. The Giants often play technically better on the road, but in the playoffs, they play like a bear at home. And tomorrow, I believe they'll raise the ante even further. I think it will be a very uncomfortable evening for MedHat. Did I mention I can't wait?

Section C rules
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm with you on that one big guy. I hope the G-men play their kind of game tomorrow not bothering to get bogged down in anything extra-curricular at all. I know they can look forward to better ice at the PC (what the hell was with that ice at The Arena?) so I'm expecting a tonne more finish on the chances they get.

old_time_hockey
05-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Festerling was on CKNW tonight saying all the sideshow stuff that happened in game 2 is in the past. No one is thinking about it. They are just getting ready to come out and get to business.

dondo
05-08-2007, 12:31 AM
curious you say that OTH --read my preview :thumb:

Vancouver Giants @ Medicine Hat Tigers
WHL Final
Round Four: Game Three
Tuesday May 8th, 2007
Pacific Coliseum
7:00pm PDT (8:00pm MDT)

Radio: AM730
TV: Shaw
Web: whltv.ca

Series tied 1-1

Series:
Vancouver 1 Medicine Hat 0
Vancouver 2 Medicine Hat 3

After two very energetic and intense games the WHL Championship series is tied. The two teams change venues for the next three games to the Pacific Coliseum where crowds of 10,000 plus are expected. There has been no lack of fodder for the forums as poor reffing, agitators and cheap shots have over-shadowed the high quality of hockey being played. Derek Dorsett has been plying his trade as resident irritant for the Tigers and has gotten under the skin of Kenndal McArdle in particular and got the big winger off his usual game. Dorsett has mouthed off, goaded and then sent in a proxy to fight his battles, over-acted and generally done what the Tiger fans feels he does best. For me this is not what hockey is about and the sooner he gets his jaw busted the better, but he has been effective in disrupting the machine which are the Giants.

The Giants need to re-group, ignore the baiting and get back to playing Giants hockey. They need to re-establish their punishing fore-check and shut down the other guys with their stifling defense and gap control, something the Tigers did better than them in game two. They also need to get more traffic in front of 20 yr old Matt Keetley who has been very solid between the pipes for the Tigers. The Giants seem to have their PP back on track, but only when they go to the net en-masse so its imperative that they don’t give up that advantage with soft dump-ins and no chase or making weak plays at the Tigers blue-line when on the man-advantage. They need to avoid making soft blind passes and take care of the puck in their own end of the ice, limiting shots on gaols as they did in game one. It is important for them to get the lead early and hold on to it by continuing to bring the hard heavy forecheck to the Tigers end.

The Giants should relish taking hard good penalties and avoid the behind the play, and after the whistle cheap shots which were rampant in games one and two. The G-Men need to stay out of the box even though their PK is excellent as constantly defending your own net is tiring. They also need to keep their feet moving and drive the net at every opportunity and dare the Tigers to haul them down. They need to play a road game at home. Simple, clean , hard hockey and roll their four lines like the machine they can be.

The Tigers need to score first. Their record is 11-0 in these playoffs when they get the first goal. The Tigers are best at home, so they will need to find motivation to play a home game on the road. The crowd will be on Keetley early and often so it will be a test for the net-minder to stay focused. They will need to get to the open ice and set up screen shots on Tyson Sexsmith who has been very solid for the Giants. Darin Helm will need to up his game as well.

Both teams will need to keep their intensity high throughout the game as either team will be ready to capitalise when the other squad sags a bit. Hopefully the officiating is professional and respectful and not the traffic accident we witnessed during game two. That said the Giants need to avoid giving the refs reasons to call them and instead give the refs reasons to call their opposition.

Should be a great game three with packed stands and a hungry crowd. The Finals format is 2-3-2, so the Giants will have a decided advantage should they take game three and try to end this series in five as they did all of the other series they have played these playoffs.
Game 3 goes Tuesday, game 4 Wednesday, and game 5 Friday night in Vancouver.

Swando
05-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Good Post Dondo...I agree and I will add that the Giants can take solice in the fact that they stayed with the Tigers in game 2 despite the obvious hurtle in the "reffing" department. Not to belabor the fact but the Giants also will play better in the Hat rink than most teams due to their style. My q is how will the Tigers adapt to a bigger ice? I'm looking forward to a """ of a game tomorrow. If I keep typing I can say today lol. Let get the Go Giants Go going folks ...stir up your sections!!

nivek_wahs
05-08-2007, 09:07 AM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=df69a21b-740a-4c19-9614-2e86b1d05ea4&k=74446

Giant Hype
Junior hockey takes its turn in the spotlight in the run-up to the Memorial Cup

Ian Walker, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2007

WHL FINAL

Game 3

Tonight vs Medicine Hat Tigers

7 p.m. at Pacific Coliseum

AM 730/Shaw

Best-of-seven series tied 1-1

- - -

Reporters were lined three deep. Six camera operators jostled for position. In total, more than a dozen of the city's fourth estate were in attendance.

If you didn't know better, you'd have thought most of them got lost on the way to GM Place -- the scene resembling more an NHL media scrum than a gathering for a junior hockey practice.

"That would be big in Phoenix," guffawed Vancouver Giants head coach Don Hay, referring to his days as the bench boss of the Coyotes. It was the team's first season in the desert after relocating from Winnipeg.

"We'd be lucky to get two or three of you guys."

Which, for the most part, has been the norm this season for the defending WHL champions.

Well, not anymore.

With the city's love affair with the Canucks over for this season, all attention shifts to the next best thing when it comes to hockey in the west. For those who don't know, the WHL's showcase event is well under way, with the Giants and Medicine Hat Tigers deadlocked at a game apiece in the best-of-seven championship series.

Giants players were warned there could be a bit of a circus at their Ladner training facility on Monday afternoon. They were still caught off-guard. Eyes bulged. Mouths dropped. And heads shook.

"It reminds me of the lockout year -- when I first came here it was like, 'Whoa,' " said Giants captain Brett Festerling, who was traded to Vancouver from the Tri-City Americans midway through the 2004-05 season. "But it's exciting. Now we are the team that is left. We want to do well. We want to make the best of it."

Six Giants remain from the lockout year, and 13 from last year's run to the Memorial Cup.

"For the Memorial Cup, there's going to be a lot of TV cameras, so it's good to get used to it," said centre Wacey Rabbit. "Some of the younger guys might be a little shy at first, but it's good practice if you want to play professionally one day. It's good practice, learning the right things and what not to say."

Players, coaches and management were saying all the right things on Monday. The majority of questions centered around Kenndal McArdle's scrap in the opening seconds of Game 2 with defenceman Jordan Bendfeld. McArdle had intended to go with Derek Dorsett, but the Tigers winger cowered and let team heavyweight Bendfeld fight his battle for him.

Hay publicly criticized his coaching counterpart, Willie Desjardins, and chastised the league for turning a blind eye to the incident, shown live across the West on Shaw.

"There was a lot of stuff that happened in Game 2," said Giants winger Milan Lucic. "Our main focus is Game 3. What happened, happened. We have to play better. We have to play more disciplined. We have to control our emotions better."

A larger turnout for practice should also mean more fans in the stands. Giants officials indicated mid-afternoon Monday that more than 8,000 people are expected to attend tonight's game. It will be the largest crowd to watch the team play this post-season.

"We've been through this before," said Hay. "We've played in front of big crowds at the Coliseum. We played in front of big crowds at the Memorial Cup. We played in front of big crowds on the road. Once you've been through it, you know what to expect."

iwalker@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

old_time_hockey
05-08-2007, 09:09 AM
I dreamed up a plan last night. We will line up Cunningham next to Dorsett. Then when the gloves drop Lucic will jump in. haha

I think the Tigers will have to weather a little bit of a storm in the first 5-10 minutes. Especially if the crowd gets rowdy and into it. And if all goes to plan, their D will be getting ice pack treatment in the 1st intermission.

I woke up at 5, 6 and then finally at 7 I forced myself out of bed. A full 15 minutes before the alarm clock...which is unheard of in my house. I want this thing to start now.

Tiger9
05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Can't wait either!!

Tigers need to use their speed to control the pace of the game. My guess is that the Giants will have no comeback to game 2, unless they get down by a couple goals late in the game.

The Tigers need to also keep themselves out of vulnerable positions, because Watt, Wucheral, Lucic, McArdle, Mahachek, Festerling, and on and on will increase their style of play with leaving their skates to make hits, high elbows, viscous spears to try and injure the Tigers.

As long as the Tigers can stay disciplined and not retaliate, the reffing will be tight and the Tigers should gain the advantage in the PP department again, they only need to start burying their chances!

old_time_hockey
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Can't wait either!!

Tigers need to use their speed to control the pace of the game. My guess is that the Giants will have no comeback to game 2, unless they get down by a couple goals late in the game.

The Tigers need to also keep themselves out of vulnerable positions, because Watt, Wucheral, Lucic, McArdle, Mahachek, Festerling, and on and on will increase their style of play with leaving their skates to make hits, high elbows, viscous spears to try and injure the Tigers.

As long as the Tigers can stay disciplined and not retaliate, the reffing will be tight and the Tigers should gain the advantage in the PP department again, they only need to start burying their chances!

Even if all that was true, at least we don't keep turtles on the roster. And what has Festerling ever done except layout a clean hip check? At least he doesn't lay one the ice like a cry baby (Ennis) who got a whistle even though the Tigers didn't have the puck. Fester took a puck to the mouth and got back up to finish his shift. That's what a real man does.

Why don't you take your troll act somewhere else. Like say the Tigers board and make a GDT. Or are the crickets too loud in there for you?

Tiger Trauma
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
. My q is how will the Tigers adapt to a bigger ice?

The stats i found was our arena's ice surface is 85x 200, which is a standard nhl size ice surface.

Is giants ice surface bigger than this?

Should be a hellova game tonight. I really hope the ennis, bosch line comes out flying for us. When they do they seem to pick our whole team up. Sounds like vancouver steps it up a notch when playing in thier home barn.

Go Tigers Go!

Giantsfan
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Should be some great hockey played over the next 3 games. I would be surprised if the Giants or Tigers would finish in less than 6. I expect more of the same from both teams & hopefully, the reffing isn't as brutal as it was in game 2. Game 1 had very good reffing, yes, the missed some calls, but overall, they let the players decide the game.