PDA

View Full Version : Raedeke looking forward to opportunity

nivek_wahs
05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ef65640f-4821-4cb1-9328-bb622691f712

Raedeke looking forward to opportunity

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Brent Raedeke is one of the newest members of the Edmonton Oil Kings.

He's also one of the first members.

The gritty winger from Regina, a prospect who's entering his 17-year-old season, became Edmonton's first trade acquisition when the expansion club added his rights from the Regina Pats on Friday. Raedeke is expected to compete for a roster spot in training camp this fall.

"It's a good opportunity for me to go to an expansion team, maybe get a bit more icetime and help me develop into a better player," offered Raedeke, who was selected by the Pats in the eighth round of the 2005 WHL bantam draft. "I think any time you get drafted by your home-town team it's exciting. But it'll be a good opportunity for me to go to a different division and play some different teams, and play in rinks I've never seen before."

The trade for Raedeke was part of a deal which was initially announced during Thursday's WHL bantam draft. The Pats acquired a second-round pick (23rd overall) from the Oil Kings, using the selection on left-winger Graham Hood of Martensville. Regina also gave up its second-round pick (35th overall) and a third-rounder (57th) in the deal. The final piece was Raedeke, whose acquisition fulfils Regina's obligation to the Oil Kings for the upcoming expansion draft, which is scheduled for June 5.

Each WHL team is slated to relinquish a player in the draft, unless it works out a trade in lieu of the selection. By making the deal, Regina won't have to worry about losing a veteran from its active roster.

"It was kind of a shock at first when I got the news I was traded," said Raedeke. "I had obviously never been traded before so it's a different situation. It's kind of exciting but I'm disappointed (to leave the Pats) at the same time."

That said, Raedeke can take solace in the fact that Edmonton coveted his talents.

"When a team really wants you, it makes it more special to get traded there," he said. "You know you're going to be treated really well and be given opportunities."

Raedeke is coming off a strong campaign with the Regina Pat Canadians during which he recorded 16 goals and 20 assists for 36 points in 40 games. After two seasons at the midget AAA level, Raedeke believes he's ready to give the WHL a serious shot.

"I'm focused on going (to Edmonton) and playing," he said. "I don't really plan on coming back to the Pat Canadians. I think my time with them is done. I think I'm ready to make the team."

The question is, who will be his competition?

The Oil Kings, who also have yet to hire a head coach, selected 11 players in the bantam draft, but they won't be eligible for full-time duty until the 2008-09 campaign. The majority of Edmonton's roster is expected to be filled out through the expansion draft -- and perhaps subsequent trades.

"I've talked to the GM (Bob Green) already and I think they're going to pick a few more younger players to develop for the future," added Raedeke. "It makes everyone more equal. You try to work as hard as you can to earn icetime because everyone is sort of in the same category."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

patsdude114
05-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I had the chance to watch Raedeke a couple of times this season with the Pat Canadians, very good young prospect that the Oil Kings have gotten in this deal with the Pats.......I was kinda looking forward to seeing him in a Pats jersey this coming season along with Strueby, Mitchell and Miller (yes there r a few other top prospects that the Pats could have in the lineup as well) I think Raedeke can be a good player in this league if given the right chance to produce.... I think he could easily be a 30 goal scorer in the WHL he competes hard and has alittle flash to him as well.....