PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft

grainbear
05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Since our Gm has stated that 2 goalies and 3 1987 will be protected that leaves only 11 to be protected. My thoughts are as follows, unfortuantly we will only know whom they take not who was protected. Here is my thoughts as to possible unprotected players. Todd (89), Murray (90), Panchyson (88), Adamyk (90), Versteeg (88), Frederickson (90),Pillar (90), Orfino (90), Iwanski (90), Matlock (88), Gunderson (90), Huston (88), Knudson (87). What are your ideas ?

canes77
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I think we can all agree the 3 1987s will be Farmanara, Dietrich, and R. King since Knudsen didnt impress much at all...

at first glance, it looks like a lot of prospects being left unprotected, but luckily only one of them will be taken by Edm...if it was up to me, i would have left both goalies unprotected since we'd still keep at least one, and save one of our other young prospects on F or D from getting picked by Edm...

as for the players in particular, I would make one change: protect Versteeg and leave Kerr unprotected...both are strong, physical players and Kerr showed a bit more offense, but i thought Kerr seemed out of place a lot of the time...Versteeg is a defensive d-man and seemed smarter on the ice along with better positioning then Kerr, something i think we need given our high goals against...

One note about the Import Draft now, since i expect us to use both draft picks, will we continue to draft only (unmotivated) Czech players given Stasiuk's partership with a Czech NHL agent, or risk a player from Russia, Sweden, Finland, or even Switzerland or Germany...Look at the top three teams in the Central this season, Calgary had a strong Swedish player in Petterson, Kootenay had a strong Swiss player in Jacquemet, and Med Hat doesnt even have one Euro in their regular lineup and they are still are playing in May...

I hope we can pick up an NHL-drafted goal scorer (18 or 19 yr old) to play on the top line with Boychuk and Fadden...and for the other pick, maybe an NHL-drafted Goalie (maybe an 18 yr old we can have for 2 yrs) since we never can seem to produce any of our young goalies (other than Leclerc, Koopmans and Block in the past 10 yrs) and have to rely on trading for an unwanted/underperforming goalie (Papaioannou, Cyr, Opsahl, Maniago) or for a 20 yr old goalie (Sorochan) we can only use for one yr...what do you all think?
:)

loudi94
05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I hope we can pick up an NHL-drafted goal scorer (18 or 19 yr old) to play on the top line with Boychuk and Fadden...and for the other pick, maybe an NHL-drafted Goalie (maybe an 18 yr old we can have for 2 yrs) since we never can seem to produce any of our young goalies (other than Leclerc, Koopmans and Block in the past 10 yrs) and have to rely on trading for an unwanted/underperforming goalie (Papaioannou, Cyr, Opsahl, Maniago) or for a 20 yr old goalie (Sorochan) we can only use for one yr...what do you all think?
:)

This team above all else needs a goalie who will make the big save when needed.

ManiacCaneiac
05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
I think.....

That is is fantastic to see ANY talk about the 'Canes online. I was starting to worry that no one cared!

I too am a little surprised that we are keeping both goalies....BUT....I also wonder if I should read between the lines there and see that the goalies are being "valued" by Stasiuk...to set up a future deal involving one of them....Just a hunch I guess.

I also think we need the defensive D that Versteeg brings to the team over Kerr.

shushu
05-09-2007, 12:00 AM
both the dmen and goalies need to be overhauled. i agree that one goalie should be given the chance to run with the ball , im just unsure that either one of our present boys are the man for the job. as loudi stated we need another sorachan, someone that will instill confidence in the team in front of him. as for the d i would keep bobbee, craig and maybe king and the rest would be packing their bag. wright has tons of skill but to say he lacks in speed is a understatement, and not to bash any of my fellow canes fans but how does versteeg or kerr even come into this conversation they would have been released from any other top team in the dub in a heart beat. versteeg wasn't even good enough to make the team at the beginning of the year but was brought in to replace people leaving..... the canes scored a ton of goals this year but were unable to keep them out , hence there lies a problem, dmen and goalies.... to bring in a rock solid goalie would allow this team to regain a solid base and build from there. again imo................

Caner
05-09-2007, 10:58 AM
So, all three 20's will be checkers with very little offensive upside. Take a good look at last years successful teams and look at what kind of quality 20's they had. The Canes better makes some changes. I'd keep Farmanara (if he comes back) and try to upgrade the 20's. And the first post (grainbear) regarding the unprotected players was the most realistic (I think he knows hockey), the others are pretty much a joke/stupidity.
Regarding 20's think about this: The tigers will probably expose Baldwin to edmonton, and the canes would be keeping R.King? - Baldwin is a much better player, this make any sense?

loudi94
05-09-2007, 06:34 PM
the others are pretty much a joke/stupidity.

I've never put anyone on ignore before...Until now. Off to the iggy bin for you.

shushu
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
So, all three 20's will be checkers with very little offensive upside. Take a good look at last years successful teams and look at what kind of quality 20's they had. The Canes better makes some changes. I'd keep Farmanara (if he comes back) and try to upgrade the 20's. And the first post (grainbear) regarding the unprotected players was the most realistic (I think he knows hockey), the others are pretty much a joke/stupidity.
Regarding 20's think about this: The tigers will probably expose Baldwin to edmonton, and the canes would be keeping R.King? - Baldwin is a much better player, this make any sense?
your the joke caner.what ever people post on here is there opinion thats all. and for you to come on here and ***** on them make you look stupid not them... lol

grainbear
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
I agree that he was primarily a checking forward last year, so was Hogg the year previous to his last. Remember that Dietrich was drafted originally into this league as a d -man. The one significant fact is the number of faceoffs he won last year. He was in my opinion our most sucessful winner of face offs last year and I can see him picking up a lot of the greasy type goals this year. He will never get the opposition of their game like Hogg but all the leaving older players stated that he was the man to provide the leadership this coming year. Thanks for the comments ! and what do we need out of Europe in terms of the type of player ?

shushu
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I agree that he was primarily a checking forward last year, so was Hogg the year previous to his last. Remember that Dietrich was drafted originally into this league as a d -man. The one significant fact is the number of faceoffs he won last year. He was in my opinion our most sucessful winner of face offs last year and I can see him picking up a lot of the greasy type goals this year. He will never get the opposition of their game like Hogg but all the leaving older players stated that he was the man to provide the leadership this coming year. Thanks for the comments ! and what do we need out of Europe in terms of the type of player ?
and will do fine this year most likely wearing the c for the canes. i think any team would be happy to have him... as for the euros , add one speedy gifted winger up front and then pick up a dman like gulasi was, an agile player that is good in both ends of the ice... do that and add mobility to the canes back end and watch the differance between last year and next......IMO..

canes77
05-10-2007, 01:54 AM
the others are pretty much a joke/stupidity.

The posters you say are a joke are among those who regularly make smart and great comments that I enjoy reading. We all offer different opinions and possible alternatives we feel will help out the team.

Copy and paste what you think is a joke or stupid...I notice you didnt disagree with anything in particular...why not offer a solution rather than just state a problem (rather than trying to make yourself look better than us)...

grainbear
06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Although Adamyk did very well at the Canada Winter Games with left wingers returning in Chorneyko,Banchs, Giofrido and Boychuk and Ashton coming in at left wing and a strong core of returning center men even though I think done the road he will be good one there was no room at left wing for him, at Right wing it would have been different. We have returning Murray , and Todd with Pillar, Orfino, the other Murray , Fyten, Braes, Iwanski, Whitehill, Lecuyer, Osmond ,Wiest and maybe Vavra going for 4 postions if the vets make the club and we bring in 2 European forwards. However, might only be 1 with the Wright surgery we may go for a Euro older d-man