nivek_wahs
05-12-2007, 07:59 PM
http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5646.php

Giants one win away
By COLLIN GALLANT
May 12, 2007, 18:06

Email this article
Printer friendly page

VANCOUVER — With all due respect to Medicine Hat play-by-play man Bob Ridley, imagine the Tigers team bus is stalled out, sitting on a railroad crossing. The key is cranking, but it won’t turn over and a train is on the track.
Such was the plight of the Tigers on Friday night when the Vancouver Giants held the Tabbies at bay in a 3-0 win before 10,454 fans at the Pacific Coliseum.
It will be again on Sunday when they host the Memorial Cup hosts in Game 6 of the WHL finals.
With the 3-2 series lead, Vancouver can clinch the series Sunday, 6 p.m. at The Arena.
“I expected to see a lot of things from our team tonight,” said head coach Willie Desjardins, whose once killer power play is now sitting at 3-for-28 in the series, including 0-for-8 on Friday.
Giants goaltender Tyson Sexsmith recorded his second straight shutout, and Giant Wacey Rabbit scored and added an assist late in the dominating victory.
“They beat us and all credit to them,” said Desjardins. “We had some 5-on-3 chances and you have to capitalize on them. We didn’t.”
Metaphorically, the bus on the tracks represents both the special team units and individual skaters who seemed more tentative than they have all season on Friday against the big, bruising Giants.
The Tigers will have some major work ahead of them to switch up the momentum on Sunday.
“They’ve put two pretty good wins back to back, but that’s the fun of hockey,” said Desjardins.
“Hockey is about rising to the occasion . . . I’ll always believe in our character, I’ll always believe in our players.”
Playing without leader Derek Dorsett, out with a one-game suspension, the Tigers were badly needing a good start on Friday, but the Giants picked up right where they left off after Game 4’s late four-goal explosion.
The Western Conference champions looked unstoppable early in the first period while killing, yes killing, a long 5-on-3 disadvantage.
After spurts of pressure from the Tigers, the period died as Vancouver’s third line of Spencer Machacek, Tim Kraus and J.D. Watt followed three quality scoring chances with three crushing hits on Tiger puck carries as they struggled to get past centre ice.
Shortly after the Giants killed their second two-man set of penalties in the second period, Giants defenceman A.J. Thelan beat Matt Keetley with a low hard shot at 6:11 of the middle frame.
“Medicine Hat’s a good team,” said Thelan after the game. “I know they’ll regroup at home, just like we did coming here (with the series tied 1-1).
All was not lost, but the victories were small. For one, the Tigers momentum tended to build throughout the hard-hitting game. Centre Darren Helm played perhaps his most inspired hockey of the series, but remains pointless for the series.
The Tigers’ best chance to tie it up came with eight minutes remaining when Chris Stevens’ backhanded shot landed on Helm’s stick who quickly flipped the puck just wide of an open net.
“It didn’t accomplish anything on the scoreboard,” said Helm outside a sullen Medicine Hat dressing room. “And that’s what I have to do for this team to be successful. I have to find a way to get on the scoreboard in the next game. We have to regroup and refocus.”
With the Tigers pushing late, Vancouver forced a two-on-one with sniper Wacey Rabbit finishing the play with his 10th goal of the post-season.
Machacek also scored into an empty net.
Sexsmith stopped 20 shots, while a much busier Keetley stopped 27 of the 29 mostly dangerous chances in a standout effort.

© Copyright by Medicine Hat News.com