PDA

View Full Version : Gm #6 Thread.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Welp, this is it, folks. The Giants are riding a lot of momentum right now and the Tigers are admitting they are frustrated with the Giants checking. The Giants are on top of their game and will be looking to play a strong first period to keep the Hat fans down and deal another mental death blow to the Tigers' psyche (they haven't scored for 120 minutes and counting). A key will be for the Giants to stay out of the penalty box, as the Tigers are having a tough time generating any scoring chances 5 on 5. If the refs let the teams play, the Giants have a big advantage. Don will be on the boys to stay focused and concentrate on getting it done tonight. Game 7's are too risky, and Hayzer knows that. I would be very satisfied if the boys play a strong first period and it ends up 0-0 after 20 minutes. That would be a good scenario, IMO, because I always like the Giants' ability to step up their play as the game goes along.
I think it will be a good night.
dancing pi

old_time_hockey
05-13-2007, 12:11 PM
If the Giants play the way they have in games 4 and 5, it is over tonight.

Yeah, game 7's are risky, but I would also like to get this over with tonight to save the guys from playing another game so they can get a bit of a rest in. MAINEiacs won in 4. Whalers can close out tonight on the road as well.

Beaner
05-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I have to like the Giants chances tonight. In the last 2 years, with the opportunity to clinch a playoff series they are 7 wins 1 loss.

That one loss was game 4 vs the Cougars in round 3 this year, in overtime.

Giants are still going to have to bring their A++ game tonight, the Tigers are not going to go away quietly.

Jimmy
05-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I am feeling it. Though the Tigers, and their fans, aren't going to make it easy on them.

rinkrat
05-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Giants are still going to have to bring their A++ game tonight, the Tigers are not going to go away quietly.

I think the Tigers are going to open up their play more tonight,taking more chances and giving the Giants more chances as well.
Again,first goal is huge!
GO GIANTS :thumb:

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I think the Tigers are going to open up their play more tonight,taking more chances and giving the Giants more chances as well.
Again,first goal is huge!
GO GIANTS :thumb:
The first goal IS huge, especially for the Giants. If they score first, the Tigers have not come back in any of the games to at least tie it. Conversely, each game that the Tigers have scored first, the Giants have shown the ability to bounce back and tie it up.

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
05-13-2007, 02:07 PM
The first goal IS huge, especially for the Giants. If they score first, the Tigers have not come back in any of the games to at least tie it. Conversely, each game that the Tigers have scored first, the Giants have shown the ability to bounce back and tie it up.

So what Knuckles is trying to say.

All three wins the Giants have had in this series have been by shutouts. Hence, yadda yadda yadda.

And the games in which the Giants have not scored the first goal they have lost.

- - -

The Tigers will not go down without a fight. If the Giants survive the first ten minutes of the game they are in good shape. If, the Tigers want any chance in this one they need to start strong.

Any word on Franson for this evening?

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 03:07 PM
So what Knuckles is trying to say.

All three wins the Giants have had in this series have been by shutouts. Hence, yadda yadda yadda.

And the games in which the Giants have not scored the first goal they have lost.

No.
What it means is...the Giants have been able to protect all their leads. The Tigers have had 4 leads and the Giants have erased three of the them.
Let's recap. One team has shown an ability to bounce back, one team hasn't. All clear?

old_time_hockey
05-13-2007, 03:11 PM
No.
What it means is...the Giants have been able to protect all their leads. The Tigers have had 4 leads and the Giants have erased three of the them.
Let's recap. One team has shown an ability to bounce back, one team hasn't. All clear?

Yeah that is pretty much what I got out of your original post.

Tiger Trauma
05-13-2007, 04:44 PM
DO or Die tonight for the tiggers. All season long they have overcome adversity, and they played hard for home ice. I'd like to think the tiggers are a different team at home. The crowd is gonna be loud. Game 7 here we come ;)

Swando
05-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I've got my hat , shirt and beer ready. GO GIANTS GO.. 20 minutes till puck drop.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Nothing like a shortie by The Villain™ to shut the crowd up.
Atta boy, Kendall! :thumb:

C.F
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Haha, way to stick it to the crowd Kendall!

Jimmy
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Tigers held most of the play :turkey: but at least the Giants took advantage of one of the two Hat brainfarts.

C.F
05-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Ugh, Tigers are taking over.

C.F
05-13-2007, 07:19 PM
It's surprising how sloppy the Giants are playing right now. Their passes aren't connecting, and they're giving the puck away far too much.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
It's surprising how sloppy the Giants are playing right now. Their passes aren't connecting, and they're giving the puck away far too much.
Bad period. The boys just aren't skating at all. Time to step it up and take the action to them.

N.W. Bruin
05-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Have to do it as if it comes down to game seven I like the Tigers to come out of it.

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
05-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Anyone see the Giants second goal and care to describe ... i just got home from bcit and need a better description. thanks

C.F
05-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Anyone see the Giants second goal and care to describe ... i just got home from bcit and need a better description. thanks
Keetley outside of his crease to play the Giants dump in, but the puck deflects off the glass and goes into the net. It happend to the Giants earlier in the year against Seattle, I beleive.

What the hell is Watt thinking?

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 08:27 PM
What the hell is Watt thinking?

He wasn't. Again.

C.F
05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
He wasn't. Again.
And it costs the Giants the game. Again.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Big game for the team. Everybody works hard. Watt takes 25 minutes in penalties. Incredible.

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
05-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Big game for the team. Everybody works hard. Watt takes 25 minutes in penalties. Incredible.

If the Giants are not successful in Game 7 perhaps Don Hay should be questioned about playing Watt who clearly never thinks before acting.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
If the Giants are not successful in Game 7 perhaps Don Hay should be questioned about playing Watt who clearly never thinks before acting.
Perhaps he should make the right decision about Watt before game 7 even starts.

rinkrat
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM

Ya its all on Watt. Had nothing to do with Bliznack handing the Tigers the puck in the defensive zone on the first goal,or the three Tigers left WIDE open on the Stevens goal,or Wuchterl letting Helm waltz right in un touched to roof the puck.
Its all on Watt. :spineyes:

Kassian
05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Ya its all on Watt. Had nothing to do with Bliznack handing the Tigers the puck in the defensive zone on the first goal,or the three Tigers left WIDE open on the Stevens goal,or Wuchterl letting Helm waltz right in un touched to roof the puck.

Exactly. Watt was far from the reason the Giants lost that game.

I actually liked the way Watt played. That physical side of Watt was non-existant for most of the season.

Big Daddy
05-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, Watt didn't help much but what a game the Tigers played. They stole a page from the Giant game book. As much as it pains me, they deserved the win tonight. We looked a half step behind in races to the puck, got outworked in most areas of the ice, could not get the puck deep and gain control, and could not score 5-5. Take away the shorties and the fluke bounce and it would have been a blowout.

Tiger9
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Well, Watt didn't help much but what a game the Tigers played. They stole a page from the Giant game book. As much as it pains me, they deserved the win tonight. We looked a half step behind in races to the puck, got outworked in most areas of the ice, could not get the puck deep and gain control, and could not score 5-5. Take away the shorties and the fluke bounce and it would have been a blowout.

I agree with everything you said. Game 7 should be a dandy!!

I won't comment on Watt, don't want to get in a pissing match with some of the Giant fans who have better opinions!

Kassian
05-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Ultimately I agree. The Giants didn't deserve to win tonight. Although I still feel several penalties they got called for were extremely weak. Once again Russell is able to give an extra gloved punch to Machacek after a whistle and of course nothing is called. If Watt does that, it's a guaranteed two minute penalty at the very least. Both cross checking penalties on Czibere and Thelen were also borderline at best.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 09:20 PM

No, it's not all on Watt. The mistakes you've mentioned all added upto a loss. But when level-headed play was called for late in a close game, Watt failed miserably again. You've got to be able to put the game and the team ahead of yourself. He is not able to think when he's out there, IMO. He can't be trusted at crunch time.

GiantDave
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I too must agree with what several others have said... MH played the better game, they deserved to win. I also agree that you can't hold Watt in the crosshairs as the main reason we lost the game... it was a bad time for him to take the penalty, BUT if he didn't go for the hit, does Vancouver score the tying goal?

As much as I hate to say it, I think MH has the advantage going into game #7 and the G-Men must dig down deep, and play at their best to bring home the championship... As a footnote, hopefully Franson is ready for game #7... Even if he hasn't been playing well lately, I'd rather have 6 d-men then trying to rely on 5 for such a piviotal game.

rinkrat
05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Point taken,he didn't have to run the guy. But we can agree its not all on him.
I don't know what the 10 minute was for either. Anyone know?

Kassian
05-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Point taken,he didn't have to run the guy. But we can agree its not all on him.
I don't know what the 10 minute was for either. Anyone know?

Probably because he's J.D. Watt. Any other player and there probably isn't a misconduct. I'm guessing he was just beaking off and that's what the extra 10 was for.

Big Daddy
05-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I too must agree with what several others have said... MH played the better game, they deserved to win. I also agree that you can't hold Watt in the crosshairs as the main reason we lost the game... it was a bad time for him to take the penalty, BUT if he didn't go for the hit, does Vancouver score the tying goal?

As much as I hate to say it, I think MH has the advantage going into game #7 and the G-Men must dig down deep, and play at their best to bring home the championship... As a footnote, hopefully Franson is ready for game #7... Even if he hasn't been playing well lately, I'd rather have 6 d-men then trying to rely on 5 for such a piviotal game.

Exactly! Hopefully he is back even at limited duty to give the others a rest and get some familiarity back to the pairings. I really don't like to second guess the coaches but in the last minute did any one notice Blum and Regner on the ice? Not that they are liabilities but I would think that Thelan would be out so there would be a heavy shot from the point. I thought the D looked scrambly at time with Regner and Fester miscommunicating on Festers penalty. Mik and Blum don't seem to work really well and you can't have Blum and Regner on because they give up a lot of size and strength.

Plenty of blame to go around in this game but again, full kudos to the Tiger for their play.

Tiger9
05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
The extra 10 was because the refs decided he intentionally pulled his arm out of his jersey during the fight.

Jimmy
05-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Medicine Hat's arena should be called The Madhouse.
Not because of the fans, but because of all the rubber walls :o

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Exactly! Hopefully he is back even at limited duty to give the others a rest and get some familiarity back to the pairings. I really don't like to second guess the coaches but in the last minute did any one notice Blum and Regner on the ice? Not that they are liabilities but I would think that Thelan would be out so there would be a heavy shot from the point. I thought the D looked scrambly at time with Regner and Fester miscommunicating on Festers penalty. Mik and Blum don't seem to work really well and you can't have Blum and Regner on because they give up a lot of size and strength.

The 5 defensemen problem bit the Giants on the butt tonight, IMO. They looked a step slow and a bit tired and it showed up in sloppy play with the puck at times. I'd dress Franson tomorrow regardless. May as well have him play one shift per period as opposed to dressing a 13th forward. If he doesn't dress tomorrow, he's got something broken and won't be playing in the MemCup either, the way I see it.

Giantsfan
05-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Another game with God awful reffing. We won game 5 in spite of the terrible reffing but came up short tonight. I'm just waiting for Don Hay to start waving the white towel any time now.

I was also pissed off to hear Wilms comment that Russell should be allowed to get away with penalties because of who he is! That is bs. Gilbert Brule never got away with anything because of his skill level. That was a garbage statement by Wilms.

IMO, there have been only 2 games that have had decent officiating, game 1 & 4. I just can't believe how much the Giants get shafted. They mentioned that Andy Thiessen won the top official award, that must have been by default because he is horrible just like the rest of them.

dondo
05-13-2007, 10:00 PM
I have to say that Wilms bugged the hell out of me tonight. I just need him to shut the hell up -- he spouts utter drivel.

Not the best officiating to be sure, lacked consistency, but then again the Giants did manage to get a step behind and incurred penalties because they weren't keeping up.

The Tigs hooked and held with the best of them tonight, but they weren't noticed as much because they kept their feet moving. The Giants need to keep up the intensity and win those puck battles.

Game 7 will be a great game .. looking forward to it.. :bounce:

Big Daddy
05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Dondo, I like your point in your recap about ducking out on some of the Giants checks. That shot of Ennis on the blue line put the Giants checker in a vey dangerous situation. Wilms went on to say how how this isn't even Ennis's draft year and how teams have to be looking at him. Huh? Why would anyone want somebody with little n*ts like that?

dondo
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks BD ... feel free to post in the recap thread and welcome to the boards

yeah I just found it odd tonight and that weird open ice Ennis flounder impersonation seemed pretty damn odd to me.

Ennis however has amazing speed and some great agility, and puck handling skills so that's probably why he said the scouts are looking.

Big Daddy
05-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks BD ... feel free to post in the recap thread and welcome to the boards

yeah I just found it odd tonight and that weird open ice Ennis flounder impersonation seemed pretty damn odd to me.

Ennis however has amazing speed and some great agility, and puck handling skills so that's probably why he said the scouts are looking.

You are right about Ennis, he is a handful. I have noticed a dangerous (for him) tendency he has behind our net. About 80% of the time he will skate behind the net and make a sharp cut back to the other side, usually leaving our guy unable to keep up. Can anyone say have the centerman read this and greet him with a Wendal Clark type hit? Yikes!

Knuckles Muldoon
05-13-2007, 10:44 PM
One more thought: Savage better not be reffing tomorrow or the Giants are in trouble. He is the one guy who actively tries to screw the Giants. Not coincidentally, he was born and raised in Medicine Hat. :skeptical

C.F
05-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Its all on Watt. :spineyes:You're right, it wasn't just Watt's fault. But this isn't the first time we've seen Watt take selfish penalties at key times, and it's frustrating. If he can't resist his urge to take runs at players during the WHL final, then I question whether or not it's even worth it take have him on the roster. Right now, he's a liability.