PDA

View Full Version : Hunt in running for top job

nivek_wahs
05-15-2007, 09:01 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=974

Hunt in running for top job

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Curtis Hunt's relationship with Hockey Canada may be coming to a head.

Hunt is slated to be interviewed next week in Vancouver, site of the Memorial Cup, for a yet-to-be determined position on the coaching staff of this year's national junior team.

The Regina Pats' bench boss was an assistant under Craig Hartsburg at the 2007 world junior championship in Sweden, where Canada captured its third straight gold medal. Hunt could be in the running for the top job this time around, depending on who else applies.

First dibs would go to Hartsburg, who has yet to publicly declare his intentions. The other top candidate is Clement Jodoin, who has been an assistant for the past two years under Hartsburg and Brent Sutter.

"We'll have to wait and see how everything falls together," said Hunt, who's slated to leave for Vancouver on Monday. "To work beside Craig Hartsburg in the same capacity, if that's something he wanted to do, I would have no problem with that. (The same with) Clem, if he decided to come back, because he's a third-year guy. But if they went a completely different direction, I would probably want to put my name in to be the head coach."

Hunt boasts an extensive international resume as an assistant coach. His first overseas sojourn came in the spring of 2005 when he helped guide Canada to a silver medal at the world under-18 championship in the Czech Republic. He followed that up four months later with a gold medal at the Junior World Cup in Slovakia.

Hunt could presumably be asked to run this year's under-18 team, but it's more likely that he's earmarked for a return to the world junior program. This year's tournament is to be played in the Czech Republic.

"I think it's a tremendous honour to be part of it at any level," said Hunt. "You're still dealing with the class of Canada in terms of players at that age group. Any time you get to wear that crest it's pretty special."

Hunt's involvement with the under-20 team last year was no small commitment. Before throwing his name back in the hat, he had to weigh family considerations as well as his responsibilities to the Pats.

Hunt missed nine games last season due to his work with Team Canada.

"The guys who go (on those assignments), any of them worth their salt are concerned about leaving their teams," noted Pats GM Brent Parker. "They don't really want to leave but they also know the opportunity is tremendous. We're a developmental league. I believe they come back as better coaches from these opportunities. If he gets another opportunity, we would be glad to support that."

Hunt is preparing to go through the same interview process as he did a year ago when he was named as assistant coach with the world junior team. He expects it to be less stressful the second time around.

"It's nice to sit in that room knowing you've won the big prize," he said with a laugh. "There's a certain amount of confidence and comfort that goes with that. That being said, every year has different challenges and they're a program that's always looking to give people opportunities, so there are no guarantees."