PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Cup: Maine-iacs 3 Tigers 1 May 19th

dondo
05-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Well a truly boring game, but at least we got to test out the new chattering choppers for Snappy, and for Wednesday when they will really be brought to bear.

No real hunger for either squad and the Giants need to avoid being sucked into the void and keep their energy and their hitting up as when the Tigers did that I felt that the Maine-iacs were put back on their heels.

here's how I saw it ..

Maine-iacs Tame Tigers
Lewiston 3 Medicine Hat 1

Maine-iacs Tame Tigers 3-1 May 19th MC (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/May_19th_Maine-iacsbkTamebkTigers_129.html)

The Maniacs goalie Jonathan Bernier kept his team in the game in the first period, but didn’t really have to be that good in the latter two stanzas. The Tigers came out hard early and worked the Maine-iacs in their own zone looking to be the better team in the opening period. After getting a goal though the Tigers seemed to be content to sit back and play a defensive game. The second and third were pretty damn boring hockey and it was their PP which got the Maine-iacs a stranglehold on the game as the Tigers lacked the fire to restart their game. The Lewiston squad scored three unanswered goals, two in the second and one in the third to put the game out reach.

The fans were on Snappy from the get-go and gave Keetley a hard time as well. The Maine-iacs did not look like a great team and although Bernier made some good stops he did not have to be brilliant. Reffing was a bit weak at times, but was not unfair for the most part. It seems that the Giants fans were ready to cheer on any team playing the Tigers, whether they were American or Eastern. I’m sure the Giants fans might have been a bit more willing to cheer for the Tigers had they won the WHL Title, but it seems that bitterness still exists and the Tigers are the enemy for the time being. For my own part I did not cheer for the Tigers -- actively mocked Dorsett (any of you see the chattering teeth?) and played with Keetley, but I never really cheered for the Maine-iacs either. I was hoping for some good hockey and I got maybe one period’s worth. Tomorrow the Giants take on the Maine-iacs at the Coliseum and are hoping for a better outcome than the Tigers got today and if they keep up their forecheck all game long and really batter the Lewiston squad they should get their wish.. All bets will be off when the Giants play the Tigers on Wednesday (as it should be), but I think that there will be a more than a few Tigers fans who cheered for the Giants on Friday, who won’t be cheering for the Giants tomorrow.

Maine-iacs – 2 for 7 on the PP, 26 shots
Tigers – 1 for 5 on the PP, 31shots

OFFICIALS:
Sean Reid (26), Referee (OHL)
Andy Thiessen, Referee (WHL)
Paul Brunen, Linesman
Kelly Balaberda, Linesman

SCORERS:
1) MED Helm, (1) (Dorsett, Schlemko), 11:40 (PP)
2) LEW Castonguay, (1) (Tutalo, Courcelles), 1:40 (PP)
2) LEW Piche, (1) (Chaput, Giliati), 12:04
3) LEW Chaput, (1) (Giliati, Bernier), 2:17 (PP)

PENALTIES:
1 - MED Sauer, 4:48 - Tripping , 2 min (PP)
1 - LEW Denny, 7:59 - Elbowing , 2 min (PP)
1 - LEW Chaput, 10:49 - Tripping , 2 min (PP)
1 - MED Dorsett, 17:59 - Holding , 2 min (PP)
2 - MED Todd, 0:39 - Checking from Behind , 2 min (PP)
2 - MED Ennis, 1:47 - Elbowing , 2 min (PP)
2 - LEW Piche, 6:36 - Holding , 2 min (PP)
2 - LEW Faubert, 14:08 - High Sticking , 2 min (PP)
2 - MED Schlemko, 14:14 - High Sticking , 2 min (PP)
3 - MED Russell, 0:58 - Hooking , 2 min (PP)
3 - MED Baldwin, 4:45 - Roughing , 2 min (PP)
3 - LEW Crete, 9:17 - Roughing , 2 min (PP)

Three Stars

1 – Jonathan Bernier
2 – Stefan Chaput
3 – Darren Helm

C.F
05-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Good summary. I have to say, I left to Coliseum today much more confident about the Giant's chances than went I entered. Neither team really impressed me that much. Lewiston has a good team, but they're very beatable. Like you said, the important thing tomorrow is for the Giants to play their game. If the Giants can do to the MAINEiacs what the Tigers did to them for the first 20 minutes, then they should be fine.

My one worry is Bernier. The Giants will need to finish their chances, because he could steal a game for Lewiston.

rinkrat
05-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Lewiston lost their top scorer with an arm injury early in the second period. Marc Andre Cliche.

Section_Z
05-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Lewiston lost their top scorer with an arm injury early in the second period. Marc Andre Cliche.

Yeah, we saw that he skated off to the bench with an arm that did not look quite right. He tossed his stick to free up his other hand to hold his arm. He got taken to the boards in front of Section A hard, and took a while to get up.
Looked bad, tough break for Lewiston.

Swando
05-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Dondo or anyone else What was the atttendance listed at for the MH -Mainiac game? and what was the real attendance?

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
05-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Dondo or anyone else What was the atttendance listed at for the MH -Mainiac game? and what was the real attendance?

The announced attendance was 12,720 ... looking at the seats I would say about there wasnt 12,720 but somewhere between that and 10,000 in the building. A lot of uppers were empty and even a big chunk in the lower bowl

Section_Z
05-20-2007, 01:26 AM
From Sportsnet.ca
From what I saw, I'd say he's questionable at bestfor tomorrow..

VANCOUVER (CP) -- Lewiston Maineiacs captain Marc-Andre Cliche is questionable for Sunday's Memorial Cup game against the Vancouver Giants after the centre was injured during Saturday's 3-1 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers.

Cliche, a New York Rangers draft pick and a member of the Canadian team that won gold at the world junior hockey championship in January, suffered what looked like a shoulder injury early in the second period on a seemingly innocuous check into the boards by Medicine Hat's Trevor Glass.

Cliche (pronounced cleesh) did not return to the game and was sent to hospital for X-rays.

"It was the angle (of the hit)," Lewiston head coach Clement Jodoin said. "It's a shoulder point and I don't know what's going to happen.

"We're waiting for a verdict and we'll see tomorrow."

Swando
05-20-2007, 01:58 AM
The announced attendance was 12,720 ... looking at the seats I would say about there wasnt 12,720 but somewhere between that and 10,000 in the building. A lot of uppers were empty and even a big chunk in the lower bowl

I watched part of the game on TV and I saw large open sections that were not there for opening night. if you say the upper bowl had a lot of empties plus the lower bowl...I think there were less than 10 for sure..

Thanks for the reply to my q

C.F
05-20-2007, 02:28 AM
I watched part of the game on TV and I saw large open sections that were not there for opening night. if you say the upper bowl had a lot of empties plus the lower bowl...I think there were less than 10 for sure..

Thanks for the reply to my q

There was definitely well over 10,000. 11000-12000 sounds right to me. I was actually quite impressed with the the turnout.

Giantsfan
05-20-2007, 02:42 AM
I think the Tiger's fans realized that the Coliseum isn't near as loud as their arena, so cheer all you want, but once you stop, it's deathly quiet in there.

I agree, I thought today's game was pretty dull. There were spurts of action, but neither team had that intensity that adds so much. I was happy to see the Maineiacs win, & hopefully the Giants will pound them continuously until the final buzzer.

I've been disappointed that the Coliseum hasn't been sold out. I don't why people support the NHL, it's so bloody boring & the Canucks aren't even in it. The NHL isn't worth watching.

It was nice to see that Russell wasn't getting any favoritsm today. The ref called penalties that he was getting away with vs the Gmen.

I enjoy seeing all the different jerseys from the all different leagues people are wearing.

Priceisright
05-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Hmm yah there was someone sitting a few rows ahead of me and they wearing some jersey with "honeycombs" all over the jersey and bees on the shoulders. I didn't quite see what team it was.

Anyone have an idea?

rinkrat
05-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Hmm yah there was someone sitting a few rows ahead of me and they wearing some jersey with "honeycombs" all over the jersey and bees on the shoulders. I didn't quite see what team it was.

Anyone have an idea?

That would be the Sarnia Sting. Great jersey. I also liked Lewistons' third.

Priceisright
05-20-2007, 10:54 AM
:thumb: thanks. It certainly caught my eye.

dondo
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah, we saw that he skated off to the bench with an arm that did not look quite right. He tossed his stick to free up his other hand to hold his arm. He got taken to the boards in front of Section A hard, and took a while to get up.
Looked bad, tough break for Lewiston.

It happened in our corner and I originally thought that he jammed his wrist into the boards as he very quickly took his glove off and cradled his wrist all the way to the bench, however, if he separated his shoulder holding his wrist would probably relive the strain a bit as well.