PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Cup: Giants 2, Lewiston 1 - Round Robin

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
05-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Great game and energy at the coliseum today. Each game of this tournament just keeps getting better.

Giants comeback win earns them a spot in the semis (http://bcsportsbeat.ca)

Post game audio should be up on my site by 8pm.

Wacey Rabbit scored his first goal of the 2007 Memorial Cup with 4:13 left in the third period, as the Vancouver Giants defeated the Lewiston MAINEiacs 2-1 Sunday at the Pacific Coliseum.
The Giants are now the only team in the tournament with a perfect record at 2-0, and are guaranteed at least a berth in a semi-final match-up on Friday. But with a win over Medicine Hat Wednesday, Vancouver can move straight to the championship game.
Heading into the third period down 1-0, the Giants upped the tempo playing physical and peppering MAINEiacs goalie Jonathon Bernier, who played yet another fantastic game, stopping 31 of 33 shots.
After nearly 50 minutes without a goal, the Giants finally put one past Bernier at 9:52 of the third period, as Kenndal McArdle whipped a Mario Bliznak rebound into the open net, causing the record Memorial Cup crowd of 13, 724 to erupt into a frenzy.
McArdle’s marker seemed to give Vancouver a shot in the arm as the host Giants dominated the play for the rest of the period.
With 4:13 left in the game, Giants Forward Wacey Rabbit scored the go-ahead goal, slipping in a loose puck laying just outside Bernier’s crease, which turned out to be the game winner.
Rabbit said it was probably the biggest goal he’s ever scored in his junior career, and gives credit to his linemates Milan Lucic and Michal Repik.
“My line didn’t play very well the first two periods, and Don (Hay) challenged us between the second and third, and I think we really stepped up.”
Vancouver goaltender Tyson Sexsmith stopped 19 of 20 shots for his second consecutive win at the tournament.
The Giants now have two days off before facing Medicine Hat in their final round-robin match-up.
Sunday’s game began in the Giants’ favour with MAINEiacs right-winger Marc-Andre Daneau getting caught playing with an illegal stick at 1:50 of the opening frame.
Vancouver had two great chances on the ensuing power play, including a beautiful one-timer by McArdle, but Bernier’s cool play denied the Giants the game’s first goal.
Vancouver continued to pressure Lewiston early in the period, but at the 5:48 mark, MAINEiacs forward David Perron deflected a weak Pierre-Luc Faubert shot past Sexsmith to open scoring on just the second shot of the game.
The Giants’ calmed down play in their own zone following the opening goal, but penalty troubles prevented Vancouver from making headway.
The Giants were called for too many men on the ice at 17:09 of the first, giving Lewiston their first power play.
But it was Vancouver who had the best chance during the penalty kill, with Repik nearly scoring on a shorthanded break, as he slipped past Lewiston’s pinching defence.
J.D. Watt was then called for boarding with just 11 seconds left in the opening frame, leaving the Giants to kill yet another penalty.
Vancouver started the second period strong, killing off the rest of Watt’s penalty.*
The Giants then proceeded to pour on pressure of their own, keeping the puck in the MAINEiacs zone.
But Bernier refused to give up his team’s lead, denying 21 shots after two periods of play.
The Giant’s penalty troubles shifted to the MAINEiacs during the second, with Sebastien Piche and Michal Korenko heading to the box with interference and hooking calls.
But once again, the Giants were unable to capitalize on the man advantage, mustering only one shot on goal.
The best chance of the period for either team came as Lewiston left winger Triston Manson slipped by the Giants’ defence, and came in all alone against Sexsmith, who was forced to make a massive glove save with just over seven minutes left.
The Giants showed urgency at the start of the third with several solid scoring opportunities, but didn’t actually manage to get the puck on net.
Once again, the Giant’s physical brand of hockey got them into trouble as Repik was called for goaltender interference at 3:52 after colliding with Bernier, knocking Lewiston’s net off its moorings.
But Vancouver successfully killed off their third disadvantage of the game, icing the puck several times, preventing the MAINEiacs from setting up anything meaningful.
Finally, McArdle’s marker tied the game at one goal apiece, giving some life to the near capacity crowd at the Coliseum.
Rabbit’s tally followed just over five minutes later, forcing Lewiston to pull their goalie in the final minute of play to try and send the game into overtime.
In the dying seconds of the third, chaos ensued around the Giants net as it appeared the puck crossed the goal line, but after reviewing the play, it was determined the whistle had already been blown.*
Prior to that whistle, however, the MAINEiacs claimed a Vancouver defenceman had stopped the puck in the blue paint with his glove, with Lewiston head coach Clement Jodoin asking for a penalty shot.
The on-ice officials, however, claimed to have seen otherwise, dousing the MAINEiacs hopes.
After the game, Jodoin remained tight-lipped about the referee’s decision.
“The interpretation they handed out was the puck came up but the defenceman didn’t freeze it,” he said.* “I’ll check on the video.
“There’s a judge, and the judge took a decision,” Jodoin added.
The confusion was certainly enhanced by the roar of the hometown crowd, as the timekeeper was forced to add 0.9 seconds onto the game clock, just enough for one final faceoff before the Giants claimed victory.
Following the game, Bernier said his team needed to play with more urgency and confidence, more like the MAINEiacs showed with their 3-1 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers Saturday.
“We didn’t play our ‘A’ game, it seems like we’re still nervous.* We just have to be more focused and confident in ourselves.”
Giants head coach Don Hay says after winning the first two games of the tournament it’s important to stay focused heading into Wednesday’s tilt against the WHL champion Medicine Hat Tigers (Sportsnet/CKNW, 7:30 p.m. PT).
“It’s important we get rest tomorrow, and get re-energized and obviously re-focused.* Medicine Hat’s a very good hockey team as we’ve just seen over the last seven games.* So our focus once we get to the Memorial Cup is just one game at a time, and that’s the most important game.”
Monday’s game features the Medicine Hat Tigers and the OHL’s Plymouth Whalers (Sportsnet, 5:00 p.m. PT).
Tuesday sees the Whalers take on the MAINEiacs in both of the teams’ final round-robin games (Sportsnet, 5:00 p.m. PT).
NOTES: Lewiston’s captain Mark-Andre Cliché did not play Sunday after jamming his shoulder into the boards in Saturday’s game against the Medicine Hat Tigers…Ice and board issues continue to be a factor in the tournament as play had to be stopped midway through the second to repair the Vancouver bench’s gate that became unhinged…The WHL announced it ‘s championship trophy has been renamed the Ed Chynoweth Cup, who was the league’s commissioner for 23 years.

-- Jeff Sargeant

dondo
05-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Crazy game, many more like that and I'll have to have a defibrillator at my side. The Giants dominated in chances, but could not get the puck past Bernier until the third period. The hard work finally paid-off. Far better game than the game versus the Maine-iacs and the Tigers. It surprised me at how good at shot blocking the Maine-iacs are, no wonder they lead the Q in the least GAs.. a far cry from the Dub teams records, but in a wide open offensive league like the Q, it shocked me that they played as good D as they did, especially when some of the games versus Sudbury were lop-sided one way or the other.

here's my take on things

Horseshoes Finally Run Out
Vancouver 2 Lewiston 1

Giants Beat Maine-iacs 2-1 May 20th (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/May_20th_HorseshoesbkFinallybkRunbkOut_130.html)

The Vancouver Giants outplayed and out-chanced the Lewiston squad today, firing 33 shots on Jonathan Bernier and having amazing opportunities, but a hell of a time finding the twine. Bernier and the Maine-iacs had proverbial horseshoes up every orifice as loose pucks and wild bounces refused the find the back of the Lewiston net. Pucks hit the side of the net, off the post and over the net avoiding tagging the Lewiston team with a goal against. Its not that the Maine-iac team weren’t doing their damnedest with quick sticks, blocking shots and clearing the front of their crease to keep the puck-luck flowing their way, they were, but the way rebounds eluded Giants sticks was almost comical. Point shots rarely found their way through traffic and loose pucks seemed to miss Giants sticks and find Maine-iac ones with a frightening frequency.

The Maine-iacs opened the scoring off of what initially appeared to be a cheesy goal, but ended up being a pretty savvy deflection in front of Sexsmith. Credit David Perron for getting levelled along the end boards and bouncing back when the Giants player covering him thought he was down and out and left him to cover another area of the ice. A soft shot from the boards by Pierre-Luc Faubert and a quick deflection by Perron and the Giants were down 1-0 with 5:48 ticked off the game clock. This goal came after the Giants had some great chances to open the scoring at the other end, but a combination of solid goaltending and more than a bit of puck-luck kept the score at zeroes. The Vancouver team did not let up though and pressed back hard, getting denied at every turn. The Q team deserves a lot of credit for keeping the chances mostly harmless, but they also should thank the gods for their good fortune as there seemed to be a force-shield around their net. The Giants were thwarted time and again by Bernier and some serious luck of the puck. The reffing was excellent (Charron (QMJHL) and Thiessen (WHL) ) as they let the boys play and called a fairly balanced game for both squads. Both teams did a bit of clutching and stick work, but none of it was of the serious variety so play went on and frankly that’s how this type of hockey should be played.

The Giants did not dent the scoreboard until 8:52 of the third period on their fourth and final PP of the game. The Vancouver squad kept the pressure on and worked the puck around. Brendan Mikkelson got the puck through to the net and Mario Bliznak got a quick shot on the rebound, but could not get his stick to get the second rebound. Kenndal McArdle who looked dangerous all night long, did get to the loose puck and powered it past Bernier to blast through the ice dam which had built up in front of the Maine-iac net, finally getting a goal for the host team. The crowd who had been tensely quiet almost all game long, seemingly afraid to breathe let alone cheer on their team, erupted in relief and joy at the game-tying marker – something that was long past its due date and a reward for all the hard work the Giants had put in the offensive zone all afternoon. The Giants did not let up. Smelling blood in the water the Giants applied wave after wave of quality shifts trying to get that go-ahead goal. It took almost seven minutes more, with several quality chances just missing the net and loose pucks once again finding the force-shield, but Wacey Rabbit notched what eventually proved to be the winning goal off of yet another goal mouth scramble, lifting the puck back-handed into the roof of the net.

The crowd went wild and the 13,734 gathered went nuts waving their complimentary white towels, and cheering harder than they had cheered before. The Giants held the Lewiston boys off the score sheet for the rest of the period, but there was bit of controversy with seconds ticking down. With 9.5 seconds left the face-off was in the Giants end of the ice, after a very inadvisable attempt by McArdle at the empty net from the Giants side of centre-ice. The Maine-iacs got the puck to net and in the crease. The controversy is that one of the Giants players put their hand on the puck in the crease. A call not made by either of the officials and also a play not review-able by video replay. Time ticked down - the green goal-light came on -- the crowd erupted. The ecstatic moment was ruined as an announcement came over the PA that there would be seconds added back onto the clock. It seemed odd as there was no whistle blown, the time ticked down in the game and the infraction the Maine-iac team were lobbying for was not review-able by video replay. The replay on the screen in the arena showed several Giants players laying in the crease and the puck finding its way under Mario Bliznak and then Jonny Blum. When the clock was past zero the puck seemed to deflect off of Sexsmith’s skate and behind him into the net, but the green light was already on. Frankly the only thing it solved was to take away the joy of the victory, because no time was actually added back onto the clock and the game ended as it originally had.

Suffice to say that without Bernier in the net and some of that incredible puck-luck the final score could easily have been 6-1 and should have been something like 2-1 after the first for the Giants had they managed to get a realistic bounce or two, but that’s hockey. The better team on the day won today as the Giants got the better chances on the net and worked their fore-check while still maintaining a solid presence on the defensive side of the puck. They played Giants hockey and getting the win is directly indicative of how continuing to play the system the way they execute it will finally reward the effort. Not to take anything away for the Maine-iacs who blocked a ton of shots, virtually closed the doorway from the point, and were quick on the body all game long. Milan Lucic hit like a freight train today, but the mostly smaller Maine-iacs matched that hitting with some of their own. A very entertaining hockey game all in all, with both teams working the puck and taking the body. The fact that the refs let them play in such a physical game made it that much more enjoyable.

The Giants were 1 for 4 on the PP and held their opponents to 0 for 3. The shots were 33-20 in favour of the Vancouver team. I was disappointed in the three stars as I felt the only Maine-iac player who merited recognition was Jonathan Bernier. Chad Denny had a good game, but to choose him over Wacey Rabbit seemed odd to me, but whatever that’s a small complaint. Good Hockey. Bad Watt tonight .. dumb slash/board and some seriously sluggish play .. or as some Tiger fan wag said to me Low Watt or High Watt. The Giants are now the only team in the Memorial Cup to have two wins, as Plymouth and Medicine Hat have yet to post a W and the Maine-iacs have a win and a loss after today’s game. Tomorrow’s game should be a hell of a battle as Medicine Hat and Plymouth square off to see who gets their first win. The puck drops at the Coliseum at 5pm PDT.

Three Stars

1 - Jonathan Bernier
2 – Kenndal McArdle
3 – Chad Denny

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
05-20-2007, 09:59 PM
hey all,

post game audio is up on my site (http://bcsportsbeat.ca). it is along the right hand side column on the main page. today we have the giants wacey rabbit and jd watt. the maineiacs jonathan bernier. as well, we have don hay and clement jodoin.

enjoy. good recap btw dondo.

Priceisright
05-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Crazy game, many more like that and I'll have to have a defibrillator at my side. The Giants dominated in chances, but could not get the puck past Bernier until the third period. The hard work finally paid-off. Far better game than the game versus the Maine-iacs and the Tigers. It surprised me at how good at shot blocking the Maine-iacs are, no wonder they lead the Q in the least GAs.. a far cry from the Dub teams records, but in a wide open offensive league like the Q, it shocked me that they played as good D as they did, especially when some of the games versus Sudbury were lop-sided one way or the other.

here's my take on things

Horseshoes Finally Run Out
Vancouver 2 Lewiston 1

Giants Beat Maine-iacs 2-1 May 20th (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/May_20th_HorseshoesbkFinallybkRunbkOut_130.html)

Hmm Lewiston played Sudbury? :spineyes: they are in different leagues?

Knuckles Muldoon
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Hmm Lewiston played Sudbury? :spineyes: they are in different leagues?
Poor Dondo. This is what happens when you eat 3 Triple-O burgers in one afternoon. :(

C.F
05-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Speaking of Whitespot, it's the end of day three of the Memorial Cup and I'm already sick of all the food they sell at the Coliseum. Just thinking of Triple O burgers makes me want to vomit. :dead:

Carebear
05-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I'd like to know who picked Denny as 3rd star.
Was I missing something?
Bernier was amazing...score should've been like 6-1.

I lost my voice from screaming and yelling today, thank goodness I'm taking tomorrow and Tuesday off!

dondo
05-20-2007, 10:57 PM
dammit I meant - erm Val Dors and I got the wrong freaking team .. ignore all that it does not apply ... bugger..

you must be right Knuckles .. that must be it .. damn you Toigo, daaamnnn youuuu!!!

Swando
05-21-2007, 01:00 AM
This game to me ranks high as one of the best Giants games I have seen in the last 3 years. The fact that they only scored 2 goals but never let off their forecheck was a sign of maturity. The 2nd and 3rd I describe as wave after wave of Giants coming at Bernier.
I agree with all the comments about the 3 stars... if Denny was not chosen I heard the Maniacs might seperate from the US! lol

1st star - Bernier
2nd star - Rabbit
3rd Star - McArdle
4th Star - Regner

I had to put in Regner. As you can tell by my sign off I am Big Regner fan. I think his stock has jumped enormously during the last month of the play-offs. I'll go out on a limb and say he is equal to my other favorite Jon Blum. Man these kids have poise for their age. I like Regners shot and skating better than Blum. I think Blum might see the ice a bit better.
Interesting side note...I was in the Giants store on opening night and I saw this young girl with a Regner jersey on. I said to her jokingly "can I have your jersey?" She looked at me kind of strangely..(who wouldn't) so I explained that I'm a huge fan of Brent Regner. A lady with this girl said "why thank-you very much. I asked if they were relatives and the reply was "I'm his mother and this is his sister"!

Giantsfan
05-21-2007, 02:29 AM
There were many players that could have been a star in the game but I thought Spencer Machacek did an exceptional job on the pk & was strong on the forecheck. I would've had their goalie as #1, but for two stars to be Maineiacs didn't make sense since the Gmen dominated the game. I thought Kraus played better, but I still expect more from him. Overall, excellent game, good crowd & plenty of noise.

steamer1112
05-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Well, if they really, really wanted to have a Maineiac defenceman as a star I felt that Marshall played a fine game. I was very impressed by his poise and positioning. I saw more good play from him in one game than I saw from Russell in over 7 games.

Priceisright
05-21-2007, 08:57 AM
I have also been very impressed with Regner and his skating and handling of the puck. Having watched all year, he has really come a long way in my opinion. He didn't play very much at the beginning of the year but definitely played a lot more in the second half of the season. I think he is going to be a good player for the Giants next year.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Interesting side note...I was in the Giants store on opening night and I saw this young girl with a Regner jersey on. I said to her jokingly "can I have your jersey?" She looked at me kind of strangely..(who wouldn't) so I explained that I'm a huge fan of Brent Regner. A lady with this girl said "why thank-you very much. I asked if they were relatives and the reply was "I'm his mother and this is his sister"!

Stalker in the Giants store! Stalker in the Giants store!
That's funny. You never know who you're going to run into at these games. The Regner family must be awful proud of Brent. He has come a long, long way since the start of the season. I cannot see him lasting past the 4th round of the draft AT WORST.

rinkrat
05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
I loved the hit Lucic put on that kid behind the net,near the end of the game. Wow,I can't believe he got up after that. :groovy:

old_time_hockey
05-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Stalker in the Giants store! Stalker in the Giants store!
That's funny. You never know who you're going to run into at these games. The Regner family must be awful proud of Brent. He has come a long, long way since the start of the season. I cannot see him lasting past the 4th round of the draft AT WORST.

I can one up that. Saturday I was at a wine tasting with Czibere's billet and family and Regners family (his father is a riot)

Section_Z
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I for one don't think Bernier deserved first star. He was the losing Goalie, his GAA and Save percentage was the worst of the two. Yes, he kept Lewiston in in the game, and many of the Giants shots were great scoring chances, but did he actually stop a single shot in the first, or did they all just deflect off of him? I can't believe how many gaping open cages he left for the Giants to convert on the rebound. Puck Luck kept this one close, not Bernier.

Carebear
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I for one don't think Bernier deserved first star. He was the losing Goalie, his GAA and Save percentage was the worst of the two. Yes, he kept Lewiston in in the game, and many of the Giants shots were great scoring chances, but did he actually stop a single shot in the first, or did they all just deflect off of him? I can't believe how many gaping open cages he left for the Giants to convert on the rebound. Puck Luck kept this one close, not Bernier.

Agreed.

Though I'm moreso still wondering why Denny got a star...anyone...?

Knuckles Muldoon
05-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Agreed.

Though I'm moreso still wondering why Denny got a star...anyone...?
Because he's big. If a guy could ever score from his own blueline on a slapshot, it's him. But star-worthy? Probably not.

Carebear
05-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Because he's big. If a guy could ever score from his own blueline on a slapshot, it's him. But star-worthy? Probably not.

I think he just wears HUGE pads, he really didn't look that big in person.

langdak
05-21-2007, 02:48 PM
I think he just wears HUGE pads, he really didn't look that big in person.

I saw him at one of the host hotels last night, he is a BIG BOY, no questioning that at all.

Carebear
05-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Does anyone have the video clip of the controversy at the end of the game?
I'd like to see it again.

old_time_hockey
05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Does anyone have the video clip of the controversy at the end of the game?
I'd like to see it again.

I've been PVRing all the games. Give me some time after tonights game and I'll post a link tonight or tomorrow

Carebear
05-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I've been PVRing all the games. Give me some time after tonights game and I'll post a link tonight or tomorrow

Awesome, thank you!