PDA

View Full Version : Parker Cool To Series

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-20-2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=975

Parker cool to series

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, May 18, 2007

As a hockey fan, Brent Parker can understand the allure of trying to re-capture the magic of the 1972 Summit Series.

As the GM of the Regina Pats, he has some concerns.

Parker was skeptical when it was announced earlier this week that Hockey Canada is joining forces with the Russian Hockey Federation to stage an eight-game series which would commemorate the 35th anniversary of the classic cold-war battle.

The initial proposal called for the involvement of the top pros from each nation, but the NHL nixed that idea. The next best thing was to utilize junior-aged players (19 and under).

The series is to open in Russia (Aug. 27, 29, 31 and Sept. 1) before shifting across the pond for the final four games (Sept. 4, 6, 8 and 9). All eight contests are to be broadcast by TSN.

"I think the concept of it is a real neat idea but personally I don't see a lot of benefits in it," offered Parker. "These kids, they're not in game shape at that time of year. You're risking injuries. You'll have kids preparing to go (overseas) while we're preparing for our season. As a league partner and a partner in the Canadian Hockey League, we're not going to tell a player he can't go. But, first and foremost, our responsibility is to our team and our organization and our fans. I'm not so sure sometimes that we're not low down the totem poll as it pertains to the thought process."

Parker has expressed concern in the past with the extracurricular demands that are placed on junior players. That includes their participation in tryout camps and elite tournaments (world juniors, under-18s, under-17s and Canada Games) as well as other special events like the Top Prospects Game and the Canada-Russia all-star series.

In Parker's mind, adding another major competition to the list -- on top of a gruelling 72-game season -- may be excessive.

"I think we tax our kids enough," he said. "These kids are all the same ones who are playing in these (elite) events. At some point in time we have to say, 'Enough is enough!' "

The Pats have one player, defenceman Logan Pyett, who would likely be a candidate for the junior Summit Series. There's also a possibility of losing head coach Curtis Hunt, who is in the running to join the national junior team for the second straight year.

Hunt is slated to leave Monday for the Memorial Cup in Vancouver, where he'll be interviewed by Hockey Canada for a post on the world junior coaching staff. The Summit Series coaches are to be selected in conjunction with that interview process, although it hasn't been announced whether the same staff will guide both teams.

The world junior championship requires a month-long commitment, beginning in early December. The Summit Series will be staged in direct conflict with WHL training camps.

"That's a pretty important time of year," noted Parker. "(Losing your coach) is going to be tough enough, but what about the team that loses their trainer and equipment guy during training camp? It's not like that's an easy (position) to fill. There's a lot of logistical issues surrounding an event like this. It's not just as simple as saying, 'Hey, what a great idea. Let's go to Moscow.'

"Even if we don't lose anybody, my feelings on it are still going to be the same."

The venues for the Canadian dates have yet to be announced. It was originally thought they would be played in CHL centres, but that is not a certainty given the limited capacity of some major-junior facilities.

The Canadian portion of the '72 series was staged in Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver.

Parker said the Pats might have an interest in hosting a game, but he doubts the Brandt Centre would be available due to potential conflicts with the Royal Red horse show and the Canadian Country Music Awards.

A more obvious locale might be Saskatoon's Credit Union Centre, which holds over 11,000 people. The Brandt Centre seats only 6,000.

"I'm assuming (Hockey Canada's people) have probably done some work well in advance to have an idea where they're going to go," added Parker. "I think they'll be looking at larger venues."