PDA

View Full Version : Price increase

Tinner
05-21-2007, 08:01 AM
I see the Rebels increased season ticket prices again! Well I know why!

The Centrium is going to make the place look a little more spiffy and we're getting an modern scoreclock, one with video replay. Maybe even add a few more seats and cater to the private box purchasers.

Don't beleive everything you read, but why else would there be a ticket price increase?

SectionNDeserter
05-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I have never known season ticket prices to not go up at least a little anywhere, unless the team isn't selling out the building every night.

hockey4
05-21-2007, 04:33 PM
the demand is there, why wouldnt they. rather than complain just dont renew yours and somebody else can have your seats. Chatter around the rink this spring was that stuff is being done to the centrium, but that involves cash. And in case you forgot, sutieholders likely bring in the most cash, so why wouldnt they try to build more of them

Tinner
05-22-2007, 05:52 AM
I think you missed the whole point of my post, but thats ok.

SectionNDeserter
05-22-2007, 06:20 AM
To me it came across as sarcastically complaining that the Rebel's season tickets went up a few bucks (despite still being among the lowest season ticket prices in the league), without having to put in features that teams that share their building with pro sports teams have.

Tinner
05-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Well I guess reading might be a problem for some. It was meant as a shot at the Westerner, because the most propable increase is generated by the Westerner raising their rates without improving the facility to make it more fan friendly (as discussed sometime ago by posters). But why should I expect less from you, as you always have opionions that differ from others. I guess we all can't be perfect.

SectionNDeserter
05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey, I am a little slow on the uptake, give me a break. :D A scoreclock with video replays and such is pretty much unrealistic in this market, though they could do with more private boxes. I am sort of on the fence about the additional seating though. They sell out nearly every game, but there has generally been about 1000+ empty seats every game. I think they need to come up with some way to fill those seats they have sold before they start thinking about expanding the seating. That being said, if they added another 800-1000 seats, they would probably sell all or most of them out as well.

Rebel66
05-22-2007, 10:51 PM
A scoreclock with video replays and such is pretty much unrealistic in this market,

Just out of interest, why?

I could be mistaken but don't Kelowna and Saskatoon have one so why not the Rebels?

SectionNDeserter
05-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Just out of interest, why?

I could be mistaken but don't Kelowna and Saskatoon have one so why not the Rebels?

Pretty sure Saskatoon doesn't, though I am not sure about Kelowna. If they do, I am not sure how they could afford it without a ridiculous increase in ticket prices. Price one out :D

Tinner
05-23-2007, 07:23 AM
With the addition of more seats, it does 2 things. Firstly, the Westerner needs to attack more than just hockey to the facility. Additional seating at the west end (as speculated) along with more and some bigger private boxes has the potential for more high profile conerts or other events to come to Red Deer. Will it be enough, who knows. Secondly, it makes all events think of ticket pricing because of the size. In the Rebels case for instance, I know Brent wants a building of 6000 with 6000 fans rather than a 7500 building with 6000 fans. As in any business, monopolies control pricing (gas prices) and when demand is greater, prices go up.

If the Westerner wants to be a "big time" facility, there are much needed improvements that need to be made to the Centrium. I'll name some that come to mind, and some that everyone hears when the topic of "whats needed" to improve the place. Of course, some most likely won't ever happen, but certainly are viable.

1. More and bigger washrooms
2. Larger concourse (see "Beer vendors")
3. Updated modern scoreclock and signage for updated WHL, NHL scores
4. Beer vendor areas that don't use up much needed concourse space
5. Create more and better "standing" areas to watch the games
6. Atmosphere....how to make the place more enjoyable...noise, decor etc.

Certainly in 1992 when the building opened, it was a vast improvement form what was available. Its now 2007 and the demands on the building are changing. There has been no significant upgrading done other than what the Rebels have done (store and dressing room improvements) and IMO, its time that some of the improvements be made to make the place more fan friendly.

hockey4
05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
With the addition of more seats, it does 2 things. Firstly, the Westerner needs to attack more than just hockey to the facility. Additional seating at the west end (as speculated) along with more and some bigger private boxes has the potential for more high profile conerts or other events to come to Red Deer. Will it be enough, who knows. Secondly, it makes all events think of ticket pricing because of the size. In the Rebels case for instance, I know Brent wants a building of 6000 with 6000 fans rather than a 7500 building with 6000 fans. As in any business, monopolies control pricing (gas prices) and when demand is greater, prices go up.

If the Westerner wants to be a "big time" facility, there are much needed improvements that need to be made to the Centrium. I'll name some that come to mind, and some that everyone hears when the topic of "whats needed" to improve the place. Of course, some most likely won't ever happen, but certainly are viable.

1. More and bigger washrooms
2. Larger concourse (see "Beer vendors")
3. Updated modern scoreclock and signage for updated WHL, NHL scores
4. Beer vendor areas that don't use up much needed concourse space
5. Create more and better "standing" areas to watch the games
6. Atmosphere....how to make the place more enjoyable...noise, decor etc.

Certainly in 1992 when the building opened, it was a vast improvement form what was available. Its now 2007 and the demands on the building are changing. There has been no significant upgrading done other than what the Rebels have done (store and dressing room improvements) and IMO, its time that some of the improvements be made to make the place more fan friendly.

Although i agree wwith you on some points, some show just how spoiled we are in red deer.

1) the bathrooms - i would put money on it that we ave more urinals than any other rink in the league. plus the westerner has opened up the bathroom in the pavilion that attaches to the one in the centrium when things get real crowded. i myself have been in the pavilion washroom twice.
2) concourses - are much larger than other rinks in the league, and yes, they would be improved without the beer, but hey, where are they gonna move the beer to.
3)Standing areas - it dont get much better than what it is right now, most rinks dont even have standing room, and for sure not as close to the ice as us fans are in red deer.
4) the decore could be improved, but theres not much they can do with atmosphere. The total space in the rink makes it tough for noise to be contained. Howevere the rebels took strides last year in the playoffs by having the fans make noise at the start of games, which continued on throughout the game.

We do need a new scoreclock however.

RebelsFan
05-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Pretty sure Saskatoon doesn't, though I am not sure about Kelowna. If they do, I am not sure how they could afford it without a ridiculous increase in ticket prices. Price one out :D

I Was in Saskatoon this year and they do have a scoreclock with 4 video screens. Not a great picture but quite impressive nonetheless.

SectionNDeserter
05-23-2007, 04:47 PM
With the addition of more seats, it does 2 things. Firstly, the Westerner needs to attack more than just hockeyA Freudian slip? :D I agree with most of your points. Certainly the space that they currently have could be used a lot more effectively (ie: not putting the beer vendors etc at the narrowest possible points in the building).