PDA

View Full Version : Let's be honest here.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Who really wants to see Medicine Hat beat Plymouth tonight? Who really wants to see the Tigers win any games at all? In a normal year, I'm all for the WHL team at the MC, but this year is different. Wouldn't it warm your heart to see the Tigers go 0-3 and the Giants go 3-0? It's not that I don't like the Tigers team, because I do. They're a good team, lots of nice players and they play a fast, skating game. But they got plenty of luck in the series against the Giants, and the majority of their annoyingly moronic fanbase need a dose of reality about their team. And getting slapped down in this tournament is the only way for these people to see what is what. As a fan, sports is about allegiances, and I can no longer pretend I have any allegiance towards the Tigers for the duration of this tournament. I hope they lose tonight, and I hope the Giants send them packing on Wednesday with about a 8-1 loss. There, I've said it. Call me immature if you must. ;)

N.W. Bruin
05-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Game three of the finals both teams played poorly. Games four and five they were shut down and the first Memorial Cup game they let up after the first period and were not the better team that night.

But nothing can take the league championship away from them and the Giants have gone through the back door. But they could have quite easily gone through the front door instead of the Tigers. Keetley was a difference. Can't look at the McArdle goal post in game seven as both teams had posts throughout. I look back at game three. Or even game two after winning game one. Took either of those games and it would have been over in five at the most.

That said I would prefer the Tigers going beyond three round robin games just to force a tiebreaker against a eastern team. Those two clubs scare me. Wouldn't mind if they tire one of those out a bit.

Giantsfan
05-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I wasn't supporting the Rockets when they won the Mem Cup. I hate the Rockets & if the Tips were in it, no way in hell would I ever cheer for them. So, the Tigers aren't the first WHL team that I haven't cheered for.

old_time_hockey
05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Well correct me if I am wrong...But if the Tigers lose tonight, the Giants get the bye to the final cause the best that either Plymouth or Lewiston can finish in the round robin is 2-1. And that is the worst the Giants can finish. But because the Giants won the head to head match up they get the nod as top team.

So I am kinda torn on who to cheer for.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, however it plays out, I hope the Giants deal MedHat the Card O' Death on Wednesday and do it in a decisive manner (exclamation mark).

C.F
05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree KM. I actually thought I'd be cheering for the Tigers until I got to the arena on Saturday and found myself cheering for the MAINEiacs. If they were the only DUB team in the memorial cup I probably would want them to win, but it's different with the Giants in it. I'll be loudly supporting the Whalers today because a Plymouth win means the Giants get an automatic birth into the Memorial Cup final, but I think I'd cheer against MH regardless of the situation.

I have no problems congratulating the Tigers on a deserving WHL championship, but frankly, I'm still bitter.

langdak
05-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Well correct me if I am wrong...But if the Tigers lose tonight, the Giants get the bye to the final cause the best that either Plymouth or Lewiston can finish in the round robin is 2-1. And that is the worst the Giants can finish. But because the Giants won the head to head match up they get the nod as top team.

So I am kinda torn on who to cheer for.

OTH you are right, if Plymouth beats the hat tonite then the giants have a bye into the final regardless of the outcome on wednesday night.

From what i have heard and read the first tie breaker is head to head and even if we finished tied with the Q or OHL team at 2-1 we beat both of them which puts us into the final.

Huge game today for both Plymouth and the Hat, neither team wants to go 0-2 after the first couple of games, should be a good one.

bandwagonboy
05-21-2007, 04:45 PM
It's not that I don't like the Tigers team, because I do. They're a good team, lots of nice players and they play a fast, skating game. But they got plenty of luck in the series against the Giants, and the majority of their annoyingly moronic fanbase need a dose of reality about their team. And getting slapped down in this tournament is the only way for these people to see what is what.

Sorry, but nothing, and I mean nothing can change the fact that the tigers have proven themselves the best team in the WHL. They fought like hell all through the regular season and earned home ice advantage through the playoffs, and they fought like hell all through the playoffs even when they didn't have to. They've earned everything they have and aren't still playing because of a mulligan.

I know this will be deleted because of the bias shown by the moderators allowing Giants 'fans' to slag the tigers and the tigers fans at every turn in here while deleting my posts defending the team and the city but it needs saying. As far as sportsmanship both your team and your fanbase has been no better and if anything worse than the tigers and the tigers fans. Watt has thrown just as many CFB's through the playoffs as dorsett has, and Watt was responsible for there being no post series handshakes between the bruins and the giants. Dorsett may have bitten Mcardle but mcardle was the one doing damage with his fingers down dorsett's mouth and throat. It has been hard nosed playoff hockey, and neither team showed alot of sportsmanship through the final series but it's the giants fans who refuse to step off their pedastal and acknowledge that the tigers bettered thier team in what was the best finals series I've ever seen. Yes, you claim to acknowledge the tiger's and their effort but then spend a paragraph or two claiming how the tigers got 'lucky' and how the giants are the ones who really should have won.

The tigers were the best team in the 'dub all year long, nothing that happens tonight or in the memorial cup final will change that. The tigers have fought and fought hard all from the first puck drop until Bosch ended it in the second OT of game seven.

And no, if you haven't figured it out yet I'm not pulling for the giants. If it's not the tigers I'm pulling for Lewiston. And for the record this team hasn't quit all year and I'm not expecting them to stop now. But if they have ran out of gas then I'm still proud because it's been one hell of a ride. At least they can say they never once mailed it in, be that playoffs or regular season. They are WHL Champions and nothing changes that.

Carebear
05-21-2007, 08:40 PM
WELL THIS JUST SUCKS!!!

Damn you Medicine Hat! :mad:

ynot
05-21-2007, 09:34 PM
It's not that I don't like the Tigers team, because I do. They're a good team, lots of nice players and they play a fast, skating game. But they got plenty of luck in the series against the Giants, and the majority of their annoyingly moronic fanbase need a dose of reality about their team. And getting slapped down in this tournament is the only way for these people to see what is what. ;)

Well here I am as a Tiger's fan to put in my 2 cents....not quite sure if I am one of the "annoyingly moronic fanbase".

Giants & Tigers, along with other WHL clubs, all had one hell of a season. Let's not forget that it is the hard work throughout the season that got them to the playoffs.

That fact that you are slamming Tigers fans is totally unnecessary. How many of us do you really know!? As for us needing a dose of reality about our team, I have read several posts from Tigers fans acknowledging the fact that the Giants / Tigers series was not always the way we want to see our players play, but also reminding Giant fans that your players were not innocent bystanders in the series either.

Regardless of what the outcome is on Wednesday night, as an annoying moronic Tigers fans, I would still cheer for the Giants to bring the cup out west. I base that decision on supporting the WHL players as a whole, and also the fact that I think the Vancouver Giants as a team, are very worthy of that title. If the outcome of this tournament, or Wednesday's game for that matter, is the Giants having victory over the Tigers, I will not be bitter and come in to the forums slamming Giants players, whining about reffing or just refusing to cheer for a very good hockey team.

Knuckles, you yourself said the Tigers are a good team. If you don't like the team that is one thing but I can't understand why you would refuse to cheer for a team based on your opinion of their fans! Why don't you put a little less energy in complaining about the Tigers fans and maybe take the time to go meet a few of them in the Coliseum? You might actually see that they are pretty decent, respectable people.....just as Vancouver, Plymouth & Lewiston fans are!

GiantDave
05-21-2007, 10:07 PM
my two cents....

I've had the opportunity to talk to fans from all over the CHL... And I think most of them are like us Giants fans there to support their team and see them have the opportunity to win a national championship. The Hat fans in my opinion are a lot like the Everett Silvertip fans... very very loyal to their team because it is the dominate team in their hometown... and good for them in my eyes... these kids deserve to play infront of full arenas every night.

Bandwagon boy.. no one is denying the fact that the Tigers are WHL champions. As for your comment about the Tigers being the best team in the WHL all year long... I think you can say that they won the title, but that certainly doesn't make them the best team in the WHL for an entire season... (unless you're looking at the standings strictly in terms of points and then Everett would have had a better season then you)

C.F
05-21-2007, 10:13 PM
WELL THIS JUST SUCKS!!!

Damn you Medicine Hat! :mad:
More like damn you Whalers for not even showing up. What the hell was that?

Knuckles Muldoon
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree, they weren't very good at all. The Tigers got skating early and took the play to Plymouth, but in a lot of ways, that one was a gimme.

Carebear
05-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Yeah...that too... :(

Knuckles Muldoon
05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Knuckles, you yourself said the Tigers are a good team.
They are.

If you don't like the team that is one thing but I can't understand why you would refuse to cheer for a team based on your opinion of their fans!
The MH fans could use a timely smackdown. This is just my opinion.
Why don't you put a little less energy in complaining about the Tigers fans...
I've wasted zero energy complaining about the Tigers fans.

...and maybe take the time to go meet a few of them in the Coliseum?
Indeed I have. Nice people across the board, just not terribly outgoing. No problem there; but I'd much rather hang out with the American folks, they're a much more gregarious bunch. Again, this is just my opinion.

Priceisright
05-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Well it now looks like the winner of Wed night game will get the bye to the finals if I am correct. :)

On second thoughts, if Lewiston wins there last game there could be a three way tie for first?

Who gets the nod in that case?

HAF
05-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Is it possible to have a discussion without it turning into a Tigers/Giants fan bashing session? Come on guys, get past it and get back to discussing the game. Thats what its all about anyway right?