PDA

View Full Version : "Gutless" says 'Canes coach...

Orv
03-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Hurricanes Coach Lindsay Hoffard called the a few of the Tigers gutless after an incident this weekend. I wasn't at the game but I'm sure some of you guys were, but Hoffard says that the Tigers Steve Marr continued to beat on a defenseless Brennan Chapman during a line brawl, which has lead to a serious injury to Chapman. Chapman broke his nose in two places and has a crushed sinus cavity. Here is the link. (http://www.mysouthernalberta.com/leth/front_page.php)

These are also some highlights of what Hoffard had to say.

Lethbridge Hurricanes head coach Lindsay Hofford prefers to look ahead, not behind but the ugly brawl that took place Saturday night in Medicine Hat was, in his words "gutless."

"With Chapman and Marr, here's a player who obviously has a size advantage (Marr is listed at six-foot-two, 207 pounds to Chapman's five-foot-10, 196 pounds) and is a more experienced fighter who gets a guy down and then continues to hit him eight more times," Hofford said.

He also wasn't happy about the reaction from the Medicine Hat fans who supposedly booed both Yellow Horn and Chapman as they were helped off the ice.

The Tiger crowd's reaction to what was happening on the ice also didn't sit well with Hofford. Booing both Yellow Horn and Chapman as they were helped off the ice and cheering Baldwin when he was banished from the game, he said, was out of line.

Well if it happened the way he said it did, I hope that Marr is suspended because it is not right to continue to beat on someone when they are on the ground. Once again I did not see the game I'm going on what I got from the Lethbridge Herald.

grumphy
03-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Take a read @ the Tigers forum for a some what biased view. She was a battle royal. I think Hoffard's statements are let us say just a little exagerated, seems to me Marr went to the dance on the second invitation not on the first call, so Chappy sort of got what he asked for. Most damage was done from his visor, (one should learn to get rid of it before starting the waltz), and one hard right square on the nose.
I was there and yes I am a Tiger fan so take this for what it,s worth.

Orv
03-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Did Marr continue to lay the beats to Chapman after he was down? That's the only beef I'd have if it did happen. You'd know better than I, because you were at the game. I love the fights but I don't like to see any of these kids get hurt. Hoffard says he did but like you say it's sounds a little exagerated.

PS: Did Seabrook fight? How was it?

grumphy
03-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Chappy went down face first, ( I thought he was cold cocked), I seen a couple to his back as he was going down and then Marr skate away-------Who knows. I was a lot closer to the Yellowhorn incident and agree with Hoffard on that, being just one of those things. Looked pretty accidental to me as Baldwin was looking the other way for the pass until a millie secound before the hit, both players leaned out to miss the collision so just thier hips and legs connected. Yellowhead had a pretty good head of steam. As I mention in the Tiger forum there was cheering, booing and clapping all going on at the same time as Yellowhorn was helped up, Baldwin ) the lethbridge player were both leaving the ice and the penalties were starting to be anounced all @ the same time.
Yellowhorn was definatly booed when he first layed on the ice as he had taken three pretty stupid dives previous to this. I sure did not heare any boos from my section when he was helped up, only the clapping usally given to any injured player. Lots of boos for the call tough.
As for the fans and wether or not they were booing @ Capman, there were four other fights, (the goalies being the main event), going on all at the same time so there were screams, cheers and boos going on all at once depending @ which event you happened top be watching. What indivigual player each cheer or boo was for would be pretty hard to judge.
As they left the ice the goalie was booed as were a couple meathead players that decided to finger the croud as they left the ice. I personally did not feel any boos were directd @ chappy as everyone could tell he was hurt pretty bad and was leaking like a sive

Tiger Trauma
03-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I agree with you grumphy......i only caught the end part of the baldwin yellowhorn thing...but baldwin didn't do this on purpose...i thought it was a complete accident.......i really want to watch the tape of the fights....does any body happen to have seen it....if so they should try to post it!

grumphy
03-07-2005, 02:07 PM
It won't be released to the media until after the league is done with it

tazndevil
03-07-2005, 02:28 PM
I've been reading the postings about this here and on the Tigers forum and on the Lethbridge forum and I'm thinkng the suspensions are going to be nasty.

Whether any of the fans think the suspensions are really deserved or not, there will be some.

Do you guys play again this year?

I don't think it will take the league long to address this. Look for a bunch if 'indefinite' suspensions handed down, until the tapes are examined from every angle, etc.

Both teams will be hurting from suspensions and injuries when all this is done

Just my thoughts

Taz

grumphy
03-07-2005, 02:35 PM
I'd say five maybe six from the brawl----two to Tigers three or four to Huricanes, (that's including the coach for his after game antics) it's doubtfull if Baldwin would get one on the Yellowhorn hit, (pretty much unavoidable and the tape will show this). Probably be a couple of pretty good fines as well.

Jovorock
03-07-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd say five maybe six from the brawl----two to Tigers three or four to Huricanes, (that's including the coach for his after game antics) it's doubtfull if Baldwin would get one on the Yellowhorn hit, (pretty much unavoidable and the tape will show this). Probably be a couple of pretty good fines as well.
Any knee on knee he will probly get two games. Two Rockets Howarth and Comeau got two games each for knee on knee and both sound like Baldwins, accidental.

Orv
03-07-2005, 06:23 PM

What antics? The newspaper article? Also who do you think will get suspended from each team?

grumphy
03-07-2005, 08:20 PM
What antics? The newspaper article? Also who do you think will get suspended from each team?
No the antics in the tunnel during the press conference with Willie as well as his post game antics on the bench. usually dealt with by the league.
Maxwell and Mar will probably get it, deservrd or not and for the Canes deserved or not, likely the defenceman that jumped Blanchen and your goalie and possibley the guy that jumped Macarther IMO anyway:)

Orv
03-07-2005, 08:50 PM
No the antics in the tunnel during the press conference with Willie as well as his post game antics on the bench. usually dealt with by the league.
Maxwell and Mar will probably get it, deservrd or not and for the Canes deserved or not, likely the defenceman that jumped Blanchen and your goalie and possibley the guy that jumped Macarther IMO anyway:)

What'd he do? I like getting the scoop. How did the goalie's fight start? Did Sorochan get into the mix or come out to centre? What warrants his suspension?

grumphy
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
What'd he do? I like getting the scoop. How did the goalie's fight start? Did Sorochan get into the mix or come out to centre? What warrants his suspension?
He was yipping @ Marr, Willie, the reffs and the crowd. During the press conference, (attendence Required by league), he was ranting so loud @ Willie you could hear it in the background over the radio.
Sorochan came to center ice to call Keetly out but on the way nailed a player in another fight in the back of the head. Sorta went completly bezerk untill Keetly oblged him and I think probably layed the whipping of his life on him. His only weapon turned to be his head butt. What surprised me was after watching Keetly @ the other end of the rink all night he should have been able to figure out that this kid hits wit du udder fist, wasn't prepared for the punches coming from that side. :laugh:

Orv
03-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I think Sorochan is a little looney. Looks like he has a short fuse.

Tiger Trauma
03-08-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm glad over here that there is politedialogue...not like that other board......It's just getting sic over there

loudi94
03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Which other board??

Orv
03-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Any word on suspensions being handed down? I think Sorochan is on Global News tonight at 11 and Marty Baceda said he'd comment on the brawl. This should be interesting.

Beaner
03-08-2005, 05:35 PM
from www.whl.ca

WHL Announces Fines and Suspensiond from Lethbridge at Medicine Hat game on March 5th
Created: Mar 8, 2005

The Western Hockey League announced that four players have been suspended and $1,250.00 in fines have been levied as a result of two incidents which occured during a game between Lethbridge and Medicine Hat on Saturday, March 5.

The Lethbridge Hurricanes have been fined a total of $1,000.00; $250.00 as a result of being in their second multiple fight situation of the season, $250.00 for their goaltender participating in a fight, and $500.00 for comments made to the media by their coach following the game.

The Medicine Hat Tigers have been fined $250.00 for their goaltender participating in a fight. Four Medicine Hat players have also been suspended for their actions. Gord Baldwin has been suspended for receiving a kneeing major and game misconduct, with his suspension is to be determined pending further review. Cody Blanshan has been suspended for one game for receiving his third game misconduct of the season. Steve Marr has been
suspended for one game under supplemental discipline for his actions during a fight, and Tommy Maxwell has been suspended for one game for being the instigator of the incident.

Summary

Maxwell - 1 Game
Marr - 1 Game
Blanshen - 1 Game
Baldwin - Suspended indefinatley pending further review.

All Tiger players.

Number_4
03-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I dont know what to say. I've been following this pretty closely, and I would have thought the league would suspend at least one Cane for his actions during the fights, if nothing else to even it out. They seem to love doing that. What really surprises me the most is that Marr only got one game. That seems a bit light if what people have been saying is true. 8 punches while the guy is down and out and only a one game suspension??? Baldwin gets submitted for further review on a hit that most are saying is coincidental???

I really think the league screwed up with this one... anyone else have some thoughts?

ointhecreek
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
I really think the league screwed up with this one... anyone else have some thoughts?
They seem to be screwing up alot this year. They screwed up with Glass and now this. :burningma

RunTheGoalie
03-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Truth be told, the knee on knee hit sounds a like like Dennis Gauthier on Sami Salo last NHL season. Salo tried to get out of the way, and it ended up being a reaction play. Nothing deliberate, but Gauthier got five games for it.

Simply put, one of the top scorers in the league got hurt. That's always going to be worth a couple games, no matter what the league.

Seems to me that fining a team becuase the goalies fight is rather hypocritical. Hockey doesnt only condone fighting, it encourages it. Why should the goalies be under different rules?

ointhecreek
03-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Seems to me that fining a team becuase the goalies fight is rather hypocritical. Hockey doesnt only condone fighting, it encourages it. Why should the goalies be under different rules?
Good question. I agree whole heartedly! :thumb:

Orv
03-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Just saw the highlights for the first time on Global Lethbridge. Here are my takes on the situations...

Hit on Yellow Horn - Ugly...not intentional but ugly. It is unfortunate to see hits like that happen. Was it worthy of a suspension? Debatable but I think someone said this earlier, when one of the league's leading scorers goes down to knee on knee hit you'd better believe someone will get suspended, whether it's warranted or not.

Marr/Chapman - I honestly thought that Lindsay Hoffard was exaggerating when he said Marr hit him 8 times while he was down. He wasn't exaggerating. Marr continued to hit Chapman while he was face down on the ice. He was still hitting him when the camera panned across to get the tender scrap. A pretty disgusting act if you ask me. Whether the damage was done while upright or not he continued to hit him while he was out on the ice. I think he should have got a lot more than 1 game. I was thinking more along the lines of 4 or 5. Brashear did the same thing and was kicked out of the league. I'd almost have to agree with Coach Hoffard's assessment of being "gutless" after seeing that.

Tommy Maxwell - I don't know what Gulasi did to piss him off. He just skated straight at him dropped his mitts and started throwing bombs. 1 game seems about right.

Versteeg sure didn't wait to get the gloves off and I couldn't tell who he was fighting. He was about the only guy I thought could have got suspended for the 'Canes and that would be more of an even-up suspension.

Overall I think that the WHL did an alright job handing out suspensions except on the Chapman assault. I think they dropped the ball on that one, which seems to be the norm this season.

(Note - Remember this was viewed one Global Lethbridge so they could have edited some stuff out but they showed the most of it.)

grumphy
03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Well it's over and really I guess any further comment will just be blowing in the wind. The only thing that upsets me is the total lack of consistancy in league disipline decisions.
Wether Marr should or should not have got more is open for debate, but looking back a few weeks @ the Glass incident, he continued to whale on an opponent who was unconsious, and he did it with his blocker. Result was-----absoloutly nothing from the league. Not saying that either situation was tolerable but really which one was more serious, both very similar in end result.
IMO at least Marr stopped when he seen the blood. Just something to ponder on. Like I say it would sure be nice to see some consistancy to thier rulings, otherwise the whole exersise becomes somewhat of a joke, and leaves players, coaches, management and fans just a little confused. Having a vidio reviewed by the league has become somewhat like rolling the dice in a crap game-------snake eyes again.

Orv
03-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Well it's over and really I guess any further comment will just be blowing in the wind. The only thing that upsets me is the total lack of consistancy in league disipline decisions.
Wether Marr should or should not have got more is open for debate, but looking back a few weeks @ the Glass incident, he continued to whale on an opponent who was unconsious, and he did it with his blocker. Result was-----absoloutly nothing from the league. Not saying that either situation was tolerable but really which one was more serious, both very similar in end result.
IMO at least Marr stopped when he seen the blood. Just something to ponder on. Like I say it would sure be nice to see some consistancy to thier rulings, otherwise the whole exersise becomes somewhat of a joke, and leaves players, coaches, management and fans just a little confused. Having a vidio reviewed by the league has become somewhat like rolling the dice in a crap game-------snake eyes again.

Agreed, the inconsistancy is brutal. I still can't get over that Glass incident.

loudi94
03-10-2005, 12:23 AM
I heard Chapman was a little pissed at one of his linemates for "taking the little guy" during the brawl and sticking him with Marr. That's pretty funny.

*Yellow*Horn*
06-07-2005, 04:33 PM
:wave: hello wake up we all like fights but if they guy is down back off.....
ok :thumb:
and secondly who cares if chappy was askin for not like one of the tigers never played like an a$$!!

Shinyshoes
06-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Why bring this up 3 and a half months after it happened, and 3 months after the last post in the string??

Are you trying to stir up trouble??

Let it go man!