PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Cup: Giants 0 Tigers 1 May 23rd

dondo
05-24-2007, 01:08 AM
hmmm.. well that was frustrating to watch and in the end pretty boring. Its rare that the Giants don't show to win, but tonight they showed up, just not to win and that's frankly unacceptable, and hope Hayzer rips them all a new one.

here's the skinny on the game..

Tigers Smother Giants
Vancouver 0 Medicine Hat 1

Tigers Smother Giants 1-0 May23rd (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/May_23rd_TigersbkSmotherbkGiants_133.html)

The Giants had a chance to clinch a 3-0 record and get a bye to Finals, but the Giants never seem to do things the easy way. Now to get to the Finals they will have to beat either Lewiston or Plymouth in the Semi-Final game to once again face the Medicine Hat Tigers, who were definitely the better team on the night. The Giants defense was very solid and one of their only breakdowns on a PK cost them the game. Matt Keetley did not have to be great at all tonight as the Giants pressure was usually from the perimeter as not one of the Giants playing seemed to think it was a good idea to go to the net. The Tigers played a tenacious forecheck game keeping the Giants pinned in their own zone. They also backed off on the cheap stuff a bunch and played very solid end to end hockey. Even Snappy (aka Dorsett) was more interested in playing good hockey than taking those late cheap shots behind the play and after the whistle and it was appreciated.

The Giants came out hard and fast and had a brilliant chance to score just 15 seconds into the game. The first five minutes seemed to be quintessential Giants hockey with a hard forecheck and cycle creating chances going to the net. The huge crowd of 14,000 plus were chanting hard and encouraging their team to take the victory. The Tigers had other ideas. Bringing back a strong forecheck, a hunger and winning all the puck battles the Tigers kept the Giants on their heels throughout most of the game. The only real rushes the Giants were able to engineer ended in a long shot with no screen and Keetley gobbled those up easily. The real turning point was when the Giants had a 2 man advantage in the second and barely registered a shot let alone a scoring chance and even found themselves battling from their own end of the ice while still up a man. The Tigers capitalised on one of their two PP opportunities. Derek “Snappy” Dorsett was standing in front of the net (something the Giants did not do all evening to their disadvantage) when Jonny Blum left him to challenge the shooter and that’s all it took. A shot through to the pad of Sexsmith and Dorsett was on the rebound sliding a low backhand past Sexsmith for what ended up being the game-winning goal.

The Giants never really battled back either. They spent the majority of the game looking for that perfect play and never finding it. They were very slow to the trigger and they passed like they were underwater. They seemed more interested in not getting scored on again than trying to win the game or even get back into the game. The Tigers played the perfect Tiger game. Patient -- giving up opportunities to pad their stats and the score by making sure they kept the puck off of Giants sticks at both ends of the ice. Comfortably going end to end, intercepting passes which were being telegraphed in grand bold letters by the Giants who did not have on their game face and lost any face they might have had over the course of the game. Its odd because Keetley had probably his easiest game versus the Giants, not being forced to make the stellar stop, or come across the crease to thwart a glorious scoring chance to maintain the goose-egg, but this is the game where he shuts out the Vancouver squad. I was very disappointed in the Giants effort tonight. The fact that they lost almost all of the one-on-one battles and that they sagged instead of rallied as they usually do giving the fans something to cheer about, was indicative of the loss.

The Tigers wanted the win had the hunger and the Giants did not. Simple as that. Why? I don’t really know, but in a nutshell that was the difference in the game. The last 20 seconds with the Giants goalie pulled were played in the Giants end of the ice. That’s the kind of effort they had tonight and that’s the kind of play they exhibited. Medicine Hat is master team at eating up minutes on the score clock and they did that to a tee tonight and it got them the win, which was slim on the scoresheet, but not slim in the effort put forth. The refs were fair and balanced for the most part. They let stuff go at both ends of the ice and let the teams play, which is all you can ask. The Vancouver squad out and out wasted their PP chances and lost the game because of it.

The Giants were 0 for 3 on the PP, and the Tigers were 1 for 2. The shots were 29-21 in favour of the Vancouver team. Watt was big dumb idiot Watt tonight and was lucky he didn’t get tagged for a few things. He floated and did not go to the net. Tim Kraus had a bit of jump as did Michal Repik and Spencer Machacek. Kenndal McArdle had flashes and the D were fairly solid. The problem was is that none of them supported one another with the puck. The Giants did not play a team game, and when individuals tried to step it up they had no-one to pass to or they peeled away from the hard areas and allowed themselves to get stripped of the puck. A very frustrating game to watch but by the end it was feeling like a fait accompli, and I don’t believe one Giants fan had the feeling we usually have, which is we can come back no matter what. It just wasn’t there tonight, they did not deserve to win and now they have to play a Semi to see if they make it into the Final game of the tournament. Kudos to the Tigers who played a perfect game and kept the balance between defense and offense strong, did not sit back and try to hold the lead, but forced the play all over the ice. Its weird to say the Giants didn’t suck, but simply weren’t able to make a concerted effort on the offensive side of the blue line, but that’s what it was they seemed to be skating hard they just always came up empty handed when they went into the corners.

Tomorrow will see Lewiston and Plymouth face off in the tie-breaker (both finishing 1-2) and the winner will face the Giants in the Semis on Friday. Medicine Hat, due to the fact that they beat the Giants get the bye into the Final with the head-to-head advantage they got tonight. Thurs 24th 7:30pm PDT, Friday 25th – Semi Final – 5:00pm PDT.

Three Stars

1 – Matt Keetley
2 – Derek Dorsett
3 – Tyson Sexsmith

Swando
05-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Very long re-cap for a game that could have been summed up in a few sentences....lol.. Good recap and a very boring game. To make matters worse the drunks seemed to out it full force in our area tonight. Nothing to cheer about so let's drink!!

Tim Kraus had a bit of jump I didn't really see the jump except for a shift or 2 ...made a bad pass and then took a hooking penalty as a result. He didn't play in the 3rd so he either is in BS or injured. Not sure of him.
Bones summed it up by saying that they will come out and be a lot better on Friday. Let's hope so as they can not afford NOT to. I hope we play Plymouth.. Tired of opposing goalies getting 1st star every night. I want to see a 10-9 game for a change.

rinkrat
05-24-2007, 01:26 AM
He didn't play in the 3rd so he either is in BS or injured.

Kraus left the game in the second.

dondo
05-24-2007, 01:27 AM
Very long re-cap for a game that could have been summed up in a few sentences....lol.. Good recap and a very boring game. To make matters worse the drunks seemed to out it full force in our area tonight. Nothing to cheer about so let's drink!!

Tim Kraus had a bit of jump I didn't really see the jump except for a shift or 2 ...made a bad pass and then took a hooking penalty as a result. He didn't play in the 3rd so he either is in BS or injured. Not sure of him.
Bones summed it up by saying that they will come out and be a lot better on Friday. Let's hope so as they can not afford NOT to. I hope we play Plymouth.. Tired of opposing goalies getting 1st star every night. I want to see a 10-9 game for a change.

yeah I know (I considered doing a shortened version, but part of me needed to figure out what we did wrong and they did right and you guys got the ruminations of that curiosity) but it was worth the read right?

I caught Kraus with a bit of jump a couple of times, but then I guess I didn't see the infractions, or the bad pass. I'm just so used to him being invisible I suppose I was excited for him to actually grind it out and make an effort.

What happened to him rinkrat?

rinkrat
05-24-2007, 01:37 AM
What happened to him rinkrat?

I saw him skate out for a shift and come right back to the bench shaking his head "no". He went straight out the tunnel and never returned.
Didn't he miss a couple games in the playoffs with an injury?

Knuckles Muldoon
05-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Kraus left the game in the second.

Kraus' career as a Giant is grinding to an ignominious halt. Sad. Started his 18-year-old season as a #1 centre; ending his 19-year-old year as a 4th liner. Any good he's done in a Giant uniform seems a million years removed right now.

www.BCSportsBeat.ca
05-24-2007, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't say the entire game was a bore-fest tonight just the last 20. Medicine Hat played a perfect road game ... survived the early chances by the Giants and escaped the first period still tied.

Vancouver as Don Hay said during the post game conference the team was average meaning the team did a lot of things right they just didnt do enough to get the puck in the net.

The first goal of any game between these two teams has been huge and that was once again proven tonight. The Giants only wins have come when they shutout the Tigers ... so I guess in order for them to win the Memorial Cup on Sunday they might just have to do that.

I have posted some post game audio: Giants - Sexsmith, Festerling and Coach Hay. Tigers - Dorsett and Coach Desjardins on BCSB. Take a listen if you like.

Here is my as dondo would say 'my boxscore' take on things.

Giants fall short against Tigers (http://bcsportsbeat.ca)
--Late hit by Bouma proves costly for Gmen

Medicine Hat Tigers' super-pest Derek Dorsett was his usual self again Wednesday night as his team battled the Vancouver Giants on the final day of round-robin action at the Memorial Cup.

And to add more salt to Giant fans wounds, Dorsett was the lone goal scorer as the Tigers booked their ticket to Sunday's Memorial Cup final with a 1-0 win.

The Giants and Tigers were meeting for the eighth time in last three weeks, with the Tigers holding the 4-3 edge after the two squared off in one of the best Western Hockey League Finals in recent memory.

Dorsett opened and closed the scoring at 17:36 of the second while on the power play. A point shot from Kris Russell was stopped in front by Dorsett who quickly pulled a spin-o-rama and deposited it past the sprawling Sexsmith.

The Tigers had the man advantage due to Lance Buoma taking what proved to be a costly penalty after he took a run at Kris Russell well after the whistle had sounded hitting him from behind along the end boards behind Keetley.

The Giants thought they responded with the game-tying goal with just over a minute and a half to go in the second. Repik raced down the right side boards throwing the puck at the net. Keetley awkwardly dropped to his knees making the save, but for some reason the Giants thought they had scored bringing the 14,091 fans to their feet in celebration, but upon video review the replay showed the puck never crossed the line.

This game had an extremely quick pace in the first period mixed with big hits and tons of scoring chances, but then slowed considerably over the final forty minutes.

Throughout the first the Giants created a majority of their scoring chances off of a hard, persistent fore-check and then working the puck out of the corner back to the blue line. But once the puck dropped in the second things were extremely different as the Tigers smothered the Giants using their suffocating defense.

The best scoring chance of the first period came less than a minute in. Brett Festerling's point shot drew Tiger goalie Matt Keetley to the top of his crease, but the puck was redirected before it got to him to Machacek who was standing alone at the side of the net. Machacek was unable to get a handle on the biscuit and put it past Keetley.

The Tigers survived an early penalty kill as Scott Wasden was called for hooking at 8:42. The Giants carried the momentum on their lone man advantage of the period with a strong cycle below the goal line, but they were unable to move the puck out and convert.

Both goaltenders were tested multiple times in the first, but each goalie found a way to keep the biscuit out of the six by four.

Just 40 seconds into the second period Dorsett familiarized himself with the fans at the Rink on Renfrew when he was entangled in some extracurricular fisticuffs after Keetley covered up the puck in his crease. Dorsett and Michal Repik exchanged a couple of friendly body shots, with Repik getting the worst. Dorsett and Repik were each given two minutes for roughing

The Tigers were able to escape a 52 second 5-on-3 midway through the second frame after Trevor Glass was called for delay of game after firing the puck over the glass from inside his own end. Michael Sauer was already in the penalty box for interfering Kenndal McArdle on an earlier rush.

But the Giants chances fizzled before their eyes as they were not able to create any sustained pressure mustering only one shot.

Repik had the best scoring chance of the second for the Giants as he deflected a low slapper by Festerling from the left blue line. Keetley dropped down in a butterfly position, but Repik was unable to slide it past the goaltender.

The Tigers played a very conservative, defensive minded third period limiting the Giants to only six shots on goal, with little or no solid scoring chances for the Gmen who will now have to try and go through the back door to win the Memorial Cup on Sunday.

Keetley stopped all 29 shots faced, while Sexsmith in the loss stopped 20-of-21 shots. Medicine Hat was 1-for-2 on the man advantage, while the Giants generated no offence on three opportunities.

Tonight's attendance set another Memorial Cup round-robin record of 14,091.

Game Notes:

With the Tigers win they have clinched a bye straight to the Memorial Cup final on Sunday. The Giants will finish the round-robin with the same 2-1 record but are ranked second because of the head-to-head meeting.

The Giants will meet the winner of the third place tie-breaker between (1-2) Lewiston and (1-2) Plymouth on Friday evening at the Pacific Coliseum.

Swando
05-24-2007, 04:03 AM
Kraus' career as a Giant is grinding to an ignominious halt. Sad. Started his 18-year-old season as a #1 centre; ending his 19-year-old year as a 4th liner. Any good he's done in a Giant uniform seems a million years removed right now.

I have 3 times typed and then deleted a thread stating these same thots KM because we were in the playoffs or MC and I didn't want to jinx them ..well now we lost our first game....meaning the Gmen will protect and try trade his rights to get a late draft pic etc or they will not protect him and maybe Edmonton will select him as 1 of 5 oas. Tim has been a big disappoinment this year....he was the Giants best forward prior to his broken jaw last year. Brule came back and there wasn't any pressure to perform. All the built in excuses ala injury.. shades of previous ability early on in 2006/7 but really none of late in 2007.. Sorry but I don't think I'd take a 20 yr old spot for him ..I'd get a solid D man ala Festerling type and let Hay teach him Giant hockey. Sorry Giants fans and Kraus fans ..this hurts me to print this.

N.W. Bruin
05-24-2007, 01:54 PM

I have 3 times typed and then deleted a thread stating these same thots KM because we were in the playoffs or MC and I didn't want to jinx them ..well now we lost our first game....meaning the Gmen will protect and try trade his rights to get a late draft pic etc or they will not protect him and maybe Edmonton will select him as 1 of 5 oas. Tim has been a big disappoinment this year....he was the Giants best forward prior to his broken jaw last year. Brule came back and there wasn't any pressure to perform. All the built in excuses ala injury.. shades of previous ability early on in 2006/7 but really none of late in 2007.. Sorry but I don't think I'd take a 20 yr old spot for him ..I'd get a solid D man ala Festerling type and let Hay teach him Giant hockey. Sorry Giants fans and Kraus fans ..this hurts me to print this.

Than it gets interesting.

Do the Giants protect any overagers? (If none than they can protect fourteen younger players).

They protect three overagers (one or two not allowed) and they can protect twelve young guys.

McArdle is looking good so doubt he will be back (During the season that was a option).

Franson is playing poorly but can't see him returning.

Wuchterl isn't back or neither is Neufeld.

Mikkelson is a possible returnee and the same with Watt. Third guy might just be Hunt that the team protects. (I doubted that Hunt would be protected but the way Kraus is going, I have to think Hunt fits into that third spot).

thankyougiants
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Mikkelson? Really? That guy causes more turn overs than shots on net!

Carebear
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Mikkelson played like ass last night.
I cringed everytime I saw that he was back out on the ice.

Knuckles Muldoon
05-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Than it gets interesting.

Do the Giants protect any overagers? (If none than they can protect fourteen younger players).

They protect three overagers (one or two not allowed) and they can protect twelve young guys.

McArdle is looking good so doubt he will be back (During the season that was a option).

Franson is playing poorly but can't see him returning.

Wuchterl isn't back or neither is Neufeld.

Mikkelson is a possible returnee and the same with Watt. Third guy might just be Hunt that the team protects. (I doubted that Hunt would be protected but the way Kraus is going, I have to think Hunt fits into that third spot).

Well, seeing the subject has come up, I'll bite. The best-case scenario would be to have McArdle, Bliznak and Mikkelson back. KMAc is the questionable one, but he'd be my first pick. We need depth on D, so Mikkelson would be an asset. Bliznak is a good two-way center, and we need help at center the way things are shaping up. I've decided it doesn't matter if he's a two-spotter. We need solid players, and he is one, period.
Neufeld and Wuchterl won't be back. Franson needs to move on to another challenge because he's become bored here. Hunt would be a fine returnee, IMO, and would be fourth after the 3 mentioned above in my list of preferences.
I just plain don't want Kraus or Watt back at all. I'm tired of both their acts. Kraus is too soft and too moody. Watt just can't focus for any prolonged periods. He's easily led astray and gets lured into the stupid stuff far too easy. Both Kraus and Watt are selfish players and are working their own agendas. It's time to retool the mentality around here to a mild degree, and I could think of nothing better than seeing new faces wearing unis #11 & #12 next year.