PDA

View Full Version : brayden schenn rumor

wango tango
05-28-2007, 12:04 PM
reading the blog of kelowna rockets play by play guy regan bartel, and he includes a couple of interesting stories.

first...

I can hear it now!
"Luke passes it to Brayden - Brayden back to Luke who joins the attack , he shoots and scoresssssss".
Could Luke Schenn and his younger brother Brayden be teammates with the Kelowna Rockets in the near future?
Word out of Brandon is the Wheat Kings are having a problem coaxing Luke's younger brother to join the Wheat Kings next season.
The Wheat Kings made Brayden Schenn the clubs first round bantam pick in the 2006 WHL bantam draft yet Schenn has hinted he would either like to play in Kelowna with his brother or play in his hometown of Saskatoon.
The Wheat Kings website had a press release Thursday outlining prospects that will attend a camp this weekend and Schenn's name is no where to be found.
If Brayden would join the Rockets, it would mark the 6th time brothers have played for the organization.

second...

It looks like the Saskatoon Blades are set to bid for the 2010 Memorial Cup.
Owner Jack Brodsky is more interested in hosting the four team tournament than the World Junior Hockey Championships.
The last time the Blades hosted the M.C was in 1989, and what a tournament it was. Ok I am biased here by basking in the glow of the Swift Current Broncos win in overtime against the Marcel Comeau coached Saskatoon Blades.

on the first point. just a rumor, but kind of interesting if it's true. what would saskatoon have to give up to get schenn?

on the second point. i remember being at sask place for the memorial cup in 89. the blades were one goal away from winning it all. here's hoping they can get the tournament, and win it this time.

BladeRunner
05-28-2007, 05:53 PM
i think i would be great to host the memorial cup in 2010, gives the blades plaenty of time to build a solid team to compete in the playoffs, tournament and win the whole thing in front of a home town crowd.

all in all would be great to host it, lets see how things turn out in the future

Triton
05-28-2007, 09:27 PM
How come every baby comes from the bridge city?

Cowan now Schenn. Brayden if your reading this, if either The Blades or Kelowna don't make a decent offer, you'll be wasting your game away in the junior B ranks, so suck it up kid.

wango tango
05-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Cowan now Schenn. Brayden if your reading this, if either The Blades or Kelowna don't make a decent offer, you'll be wasting your game away in the junior B ranks, so suck it up kid.

it's easy to forget these are still children. not adults, not men, children. i don't blame the families of these kids who are being asked to leave the care and development of their young sons up to someone else. it's a huge decision. as a parent, if my son is one day fortunate to play hockey at an elite level, i can't be hypocritical and say i would be different, because i don't know if i will be. the cowan family eventually chose to allow jared to go to spokane, who's to say the schenn family won't make the same decision with brayden?

has schenn played a second for the wheat kings? then he has the ncaa option. and while i feel the whl, for a kid with schenn's potential, is the better way to go, ncaa isn't going to hurt him either. so no he won't be wasting away, and then what will mccrimmon have? ask tri-city if they could have done things differently with jonathan toews, would they have? i bet they would.

still this is all rumor, no fat lady singing yet. but him not going to brandon for the prospects camp is an ominous sign.

Triton
05-28-2007, 09:46 PM
still this is all rumor, no fat lady singing yet. but him not going to brandon for the prospects camp is an ominous sign.

and just cause it doesn't say Schenn's name in the article doesn't mean he wasn't there. He could have just done nothing productive at the camp to get his name mentioned.

He was supposed to attend last years camp but he had a wedding to attend to.

and if Luke can free the coup, so can Brayden.

Dwight Schrute
05-29-2007, 03:46 AM

well jonathon toews is from winnipeg, 1st overall pick,... nobody is calling him a baby, and it seems to have worked out well for him
i dont think you would have been complaining or had called toews a baby if he had gone to brandon like he requested (to be near home)

wango tango
06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
another little article from bartel's blog

"Are the Rockets interested in Luke Schenn's younger brother?
GM Bruce Hamilton will only say he wouldn't consider looking at Braydon Schenn, unless Wheat Kings General Manager Kelly McCrimmon comes to him first.
Braydon Schenn, the Wheat Kings #1 bantam pick from 2006, failed to attend the Wheat Kings prospects camp last month, and has said in the past he'd either like to play in Kelowna or his hometown of Saskatoon.
McCrimmon is no dummy. The asking price would be high. The purchasing price would likely be a first round pick, or in the Rockets case how about Luke Schenn? McCrimmon would make that deal in a heartbeat.
Could you imagine brothers being swapped in a WHL trade? Has that ever happened? Trust me it won't happen, but it sure is interesting to ponder."

the blades have an extra first round pick in the 08 bantam draft, do they not, from the p.g. setoguchi deal?

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
another little article from bartel's blog

"Are the Rockets interested in Luke Schenn's younger brother?
GM Bruce Hamilton will only say he wouldn't consider looking at Braydon Schenn, unless Wheat Kings General Manager Kelly McCrimmon comes to him first.
Braydon Schenn, the Wheat Kings #1 bantam pick from 2006, failed to attend the Wheat Kings prospects camp last month, and has said in the past he'd either like to play in Kelowna or his hometown of Saskatoon.
McCrimmon is no dummy. The asking price would be high. The purchasing price would likely be a first round pick, or in the Rockets case how about Luke Schenn? McCrimmon would make that deal in a heartbeat.
Could you imagine brothers being swapped in a WHL trade? Has that ever happened? Trust me it won't happen, but it sure is interesting to ponder."

the blades have an extra first round pick in the 08 bantam draft, do they not, from the p.g. setoguchi deal?
Yes the Blades do have an P.G's 1st rounder in 08 plus their own,I do not know what the chances are of the Schenn brothers(or just one) being traded to Saskatoon would be?

WHEATMAN
06-05-2007, 11:31 AM
well jonathon toews is from winnipeg, 1st overall pick,... nobody is calling him a baby, and it seems to have worked out well for him
i dont think you would have been complaining or had called toews a baby if he had gone to brandon like he requested (to be near home)

You can't compare Toews to Schenn, Going from Winnipeg to Tri is so much different than going from Saskatoon to Brandon. Toews would have moved close to 2000 kilometers away, not to mention to a whole different country, also his parents would rarly see him play. But in Schenn's case he is going not even 6 hours away, to a team with a great reputation, and his parents could see him play nearly every divisional game in Saskatchewan. Toews situation makes far more sense than Schenn's does, Schenn has to suck it up, Going from Brandon to Saskatoon isn't a big deal. How does he think his brother felt going to Kelowna?

wango tango
06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
a 2008 first round bantam draft pick + blair macaulay for brayden schenn?

IF the rumor is true would this get it done?

Dwight Schrute
06-05-2007, 12:09 PM
You can't compare Toews to Schenn, Going from Winnipeg to Tri is so much different than going from Saskatoon to Brandon. Toews would have moved close to 2000 kilometers away, not to mention to a whole different country, also his parents would rarly see him play. But in Schenn's case he is going not even 6 hours away, to a team with a great reputation, and his parents could see him play nearly every divisional game in Saskatchewan. Toews situation makes far more sense than Schenn's does, Schenn has to suck it up, Going from Brandon to Saskatoon isn't a big deal. How does he think his brother felt going to Kelowna?
its at least a minimum of 8 hours saskatoon to brandon. and if distance were the reason why would being in kelowna be any better

Triton
06-05-2007, 12:39 PM

What the hell would we want with McCauley?

WHEATMAN
06-05-2007, 12:40 PM
its at least a minimum of 8 hours saskatoon to brandon. and if distance were the reason why would being in kelowna be any better

I don't know about that, I make the trip to Brandon frequently and although under 6 hours may be stretching it, it definetly isn't 8 hours. If you take the yellowhead route you can get to Brandon in under 7 for sure. And the only reason he would consider going to Kelowna is because his brother is there.

WHEATMAN
06-05-2007, 12:45 PM

I can't see Kelly doing that. This upcoming year is going to be a rebuilding year, meaning younger players would likely be expected. Not to mention, Macauley doesn't really bring much, Brandon already has alot of underachieving forwards, the last thing we need is a old underachiever. I don't really know the Blades roster too well, but a player who is going into his 17 or 18 year old season would make more sense to aquire.

wango tango
06-05-2007, 12:52 PM
gotta go with dannoabram on this one. if it were only about distance, why kelowna? it's about family and a family wanting to do what they feel is best for their child. every whl teams commodity is children, and when you're making the kind of money these teams are on the backs of children then you have to accept their families as part of the package.

this is all rumor and speculation right now, keep in mind this comes from a blog, the blogosphere isn't exactly without its pitfalls. so until camp starts, then, and only then if schenn doesn't report would i get wound up. til then it's speculation. his no show at summer camp doesn't bode well, and seems to fuel things a little.

Dwight Schrute
06-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't know about that, I make the trip to Brandon frequently and although under 6 hours may be stretching it, it definetly isn't 8 hours. If you take the yellowhead route you can get to Brandon in under 7 for sure. And the only reason he would consider going to Kelowna is because his brother is there.
well its around 7:45 min from pa
stoon while further west is further south
i cant see it being any shorter

wango tango
06-05-2007, 01:23 PM

ummm that's a pretty big reason imo. big brother can watch little brothers back and vice versa.

WHEATMAN
06-05-2007, 02:37 PM
well its around 7:45 min from pa
stoon while further west is further south
i cant see it being any shorter

not much further west though, Regina is roughly 4 hours from Brandon, and Saskatoon is around 2.5 hours.

wango tango
06-06-2007, 08:35 AM
more from kelowna rockets play by play man regan bartel's blog...

"He isn't going to Brandon - bottom line!

Harsh words from the father of 16 year-old Brayden Schenn today when I spoke to him from Saskatoon.
Jeff Schenn, who is also the father of Kelowna Rockets defenseman Luke Schenn told me that Brayden will never play for Kelly McCrimmon's team.
The reason?
Geography according to Jeff Schenn.

"He never wanted to go there (Brandon) before he was drafted. We told them that but the Wheat Kings told us they would draft the best player available at the time. Since day one he hasn't been happy. I want to see both (Luke/Brayden) of them play, and play against each other. If Brayden is in Brandon, he plays the Rockets just once a season."

The Schenn's are a Tight-Nit Family:

"We are a tight family. I want to spend time with the boys, and being in Brandon doesn't make that possible. I have talked to Kelly (McCrimmon) and he says if he traded Brayden it would be like mixing poison in his drink and drinking it. It would show people that players don't want to play in Brandon."

Schenn wants to play in the WHL:

"I am not saying he can't play in any other centre. If he was playing in the B.C division or the Central I'd be happy with that. But he won't be playing in Brandon I can tell you that much".

Jeff Schenn says if Brandon doesn't trade Brayden, he will either play high school hockey in Shattock St. Mary's or may look at playing in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League."

so mccrimmon drafted schenn even though he was told schenn wouldn't report? huh. kelly imo is one of the better execs in the whl, why would he do this? and why now would he risk not getting anything for schenn?

c'mon lorne make him a deal he can't refuse.