PDA

View Full Version : Who Cares anymore

grumphy
03-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Why does the media even carry this. Leave them without a pulpit until they bring forth some sort of an agreement. Until then who cares?

NHL labour talks back on with session slated for this week

TORONTO (CP) - NHL labour talks are back on. A source confirmed Monday that the NHL Players' Association has accepted a request from the NHL to return to the bargaining table.
The talks will take place later this week at an undisclosed location.

The news comes one week after both sides met separately, the union in Toronto and the league in New York following the cancellation of the season by commissioner Gary Bettman.

While the players have already lost a season's worth of salaries and aren't scheduled to get paid again until whenever the puck drops for next season, the league has plenty of reasons to kick-start talks.

The league wants to save the NHL entry draft and conduct a normal off-season in order to re-launch the game and try to win back fans.

And Bettman warned last week the more damage to the league, the less money owners will have to pay players.

© The Canadian Press, 2005

ScottyWazz
03-07-2005, 03:38 PM
It's just an attempt to basically say, "Yoo hoo, we're over here, we're still alive, we're talking, screw the fans, make the money."

It's sad, but it's part of the process.

The_Vulk
03-07-2005, 07:33 PM
For all those whom this is their draft year, this means alot.

For the CHL, whom gets funds for providing players, this also means alot.

Besides, it is so far only an agreement to meet.

It is more important what happens after their first formal talks after the NHL's season was cancelled.

As some have said in the media (which reflects alot of fans opinions)..."Until an agreement is made, we have more important things to discuss."

grumphy
03-07-2005, 08:30 PM
As some have said in the media (which reflects alot of fans opinions)..."Until an agreement is made, we have more important things to discuss."
My feelings exactly. Until there is some kind of candle light at the end of the tunnel both sides should just go away and stay out of the public's hair because until that flikering light is there no one really gives a damn any more, including those whose futures depend on the out come. We've been jerked enough already. Talk to each other, reach some kind of agreement that will satisfy both thier colective greedy asses and then come and let us know about it, until then I personally don't want to hear anything about it.

Sput
03-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Does anyone else think that if Bobby Hull could have got the WHA up and running this year, the NHL would be dead and buried by now? I'm sure that players would have come to it in droves, concidering how many are playing minor pro or Euro league for way less $$. I also think is the WHA were running, we wouldn't be sitting here doing our best to ignor the NHL and their talks, as a deal would have been made a whole lot earlier in the year.

Jew Panda
03-08-2005, 12:37 AM
The WHA is a joke. It always has been. Don't kid yourself.

As for these "talks", Woooooopty Dooooooooo.

The_Vulk
03-08-2005, 05:19 PM
The WHA is a joke. It always has been. Don't kid yourself.
I had to disagree.

When the WHA first started in October 1972, it was a weaker game. By the end of the seven year existence the WHA had drawn even with the NHL in skill level. Many people considered the WHA’S Winnipeg Jets on par with the best teams the NHL had to offer.

In fact, when teams from the two leagues played exhibition games against each other, from 1974 to 1978, the WHA teams won 33, lost 27 and tied seven.
Alot of innovations were incorporated into the NHL, as well as teams.

The Oilers, The Jets, The Nordiques. All teams from the WHA, and look at what they did.

Some of the best hockey ever in the NHL happened shortly afterwards.

Knuckles Muldoon
03-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Time for the vulturing media to leave both sides alone. Maybe without a fricken media scrum after every "negotiating session", some of the rhetoric will die down and they can get some progress going. The Canadian media's coverage of all the talks haven't helped at all in my opinion. Maybe on this matter we can take a lesson for the Americans, who don't seem to want to cover this debacle at all. Good on 'em, too.

ScottyWazz
03-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Vulk, I'm sure Panda was talking about this whole reincarnated CF which is being called the WHA. It had a chance to get it's crap together, but failed twice and changed ownership. I don't think the NHL would have been buried if the new WHA started anyway because it would have been a disaster waiting to happen. We all saw what the OSHL and their crazy rules brought-- little fans, little interest, giant disaster.