PDA

View Full Version : Rebels for sale?

WHL Rules
05-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Here we go again. Hockey season is over so rumor season starts.
This years version is that the Rebels are up for sale and Sutter is moving to the NHL (again ;)).
Anyone here heard something about this in RD? Or is it another baseless nonsense?

Tinner
05-29-2007, 06:17 AM
I would say its only a rumor about the sale. That said, for the right price, everything sells. Moving to the NHL might be in Brents future and he has stated in the past that he's open to discussion on that issue. Selling has not been talked about because there are other members of the family that could run the team. Ron and Rich, along with Brian are potential GM/Coaches and Brent has been grooming Merrick to some day take over the team.

I would say its safe to bet that this is a rumor

hockey4
05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
This rumor somewhat confuses me. How does moving to the NHL require you to sell the team. COuldnt he still own it but put people in place to run the team?

Swando
05-30-2007, 01:33 AM
This rumor somewhat confuses me. How does moving to the NHL require you to sell the team. COuldnt he still own it but put people in place to run the team?

Absolutely..point being Pat Qunin was part owner of the Vancouver Giants while coaching Toronto. Neidemieres as players own Kootney etc..Gm Burke has ownership in the Chilliwack Bruins...

hockey4
05-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Yah i guess its not only confusing, but gives more evidence for it being just a rumor. Id imagine he does quite well with the team, and if he put people in place, he wouldnt have to do anything but bring home a cheque.

Now as a fan who has watched the team play for some 12 years, the way the community respects him, i cant see him just walking away from what he has built (he may not run the team but i cant see him selling). The man will likely still live hear in the summer, so it would be a total shot in the arm to his reputation if he just abandoned the team to another outside owner like Simpson was.

Dwight Schrute
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
isnt jesse wallin bein groomed as a coach by sutter ?

Shinyshoes
05-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Sutter has stated numerous times in the media that a deal to coach/GM/Both in the NHL would have to "Knock my socks off" for him to leave this situation.

His daughter will be graduating high school, and brandon will be graduating the WHL both within the next 2 years, so I would think that both those would have to happen before he would start persuing an NHL job.

Having said that, getting guys like Guame and Wallin behind the bench, and Merrick Sutter and Garrett Zimmerman in the office, he will have the Rebels well prepared should the "Sock Knocking" offer come up.

I think Brent will be around till the 09-10 season, then after that, the offers from the NHL will dictate when he goes.

frontrow fan
06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
I can't see him leaving in the "near"future either, his daughter is just finishing grade 9, and Brandon has a couple more years here with the Reb's, so I can't see him leaving before Brandon's done for sure, and if I'm not mistaken, I think he even said in the media that he would wait for Brooke to finish high school, before moving on...