PDA

View Full Version : Divisional Changes

JayDub
05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Any word as to if there will be any changes in the Divisions. Edmonton will likely be Central but will Kootney or others change ?

old_time_hockey
05-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I can't see them making Kootenay move divisions twice in 2 years.

JayDub
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Depending of future expansion and where, here is a possible re-alignment

Central North

Edm
PG
Red Deer
PA
Saskatoon
Calgary

Central South - Trans Canada

Brandon
Regina
Moose Jaw
Swift Current
Med Hat
Lethbridge

* Kootenay returns to BC

PG as always been a travel problem but it may make more sense in a north central division. Kootenay back to BC keeps it all southern BC....thoughts ????

Triton
05-31-2007, 02:07 PM
PG in the same division as Saskatoon and PA is just nuts. Dude imagine all the travelling involved...not gonna happen. Sorry.

JayDub
05-31-2007, 02:24 PM
How long a drive from PG to VAN ? Its 7 hrs tops from PG to EDM and another 4 1/2 to Toon Town.

No matter which divison, PG has always been out of the way. Having said that, think of less travel for the BC division and also the US inter-conference play. PG is just plain out of the way.

old_time_hockey
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
It's around 8 hours from Vancouver to PG (assuming you aren't in rush hour traffic). If it is snowing in the canyon, longer.

Red celtic
05-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Not sure why either Sk. or AB. teams would want to be in the same division as PG. They would be voting against this kind of change and thats not even considering divisional riverlies. nhl3

JayDub
05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Allright then, no major shuffle!

Will there be any movement or changes made with Edmonton comming into the Dub. Has the league made any announcments about this yet or will there just be 6 teams in the existing central.

Has there been any rumors about future expansion. I know that after Chilliwack they said there will be no more expansion and *poof*, here is Edmonton

Five Hole
05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
My understanding is Kootenay is staying in the Central division and Edmonton will make 6 teams in that division. The East Division also has 6 teams.

So the Eastern Confernce will have 12 teams (two 6 team divisions) and the Western Conference will have 10 teams (two 5 team divisions).

Not 100% sure, but that's the way I heard it. Can anybody confirm??

RDRebelsfan
05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
why not just move Kootenay back to the BC Division, rename the Central Division to Alberta Division. Both conferences then have 11 teams, even on both sides. Most logical thing that can and should be done.

N.W. Bruin
05-31-2007, 08:46 PM
My understanding is Kootenay is staying in the Central division and Edmonton will make 6 teams in that division. The East Division also has 6 teams.

So the Eastern Confernce will have 12 teams (two 6 team divisions) and the Western Conference will have 10 teams (two 5 team divisions).

Not 100% sure, but that's the way I heard it. Can anybody confirm??

That is how the league stated they were going. Any franchise shifts may effect the divisions but not for this coming season as the deadline to apply to move has passed about three months ago.

Wildeyes
06-01-2007, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE=JayDub]Depending of future expansion and where, here is a possible re-alignment

Central North

Edm
PG
Red Deer
PA
Saskatoon
Calgary

Central South - Trans Canada

Brandon
Regina
Moose Jaw
Swift Current
Med Hat
Lethbridge

* Kootenay returns to BC

WHAT THE HELL WHERE YOU SMOKING LOL with the travel WOW nice try tho

Swando
06-01-2007, 04:35 AM
Allright then, no major shuffle!

Will there be any movement or changes made with Edmonton comming into the Dub. Has the league made any announcments about this yet or will there just be 6 teams in the existing central.

Has there been any rumors about future expansion. I know that after Chilliwack they said there will be no more expansion and *poof*, here is Edmonton

I heard from a reliable source that Victoria has been given the nod to be next in line. The comment was" you'll see a team in Victoria in 3 years"

Giantsfan
06-05-2007, 04:42 PM
It's at least 10 hours by bus from Vancouver to PG. Even more if the canyon is closed.

old_time_hockey
06-05-2007, 05:12 PM
I heard from a reliable source that Victoria has been given the nod to be next in line. The comment was" you'll see a team in Victoria in 3 years"

I never understood that thinking. People complain about PG being a trip and a half. Victoria has that 95 minute ferry ride. And as we all know the ferries are not always punctual. And the extra cost of reservations and taking a bus on the tub + 30 passenger fares.

Wasn't that one of the factors that lead to the Cougars moving to PG? On the upside they have a nice new building there.

Giantsfan
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Len Barrie has been trying for the last couple seasons to get a team back on Vancouver Island. There is a new rink I believe in Nanaimo & from what I understand they are the front runners for expansion in a couple seasons. Victoria I think is out of the running as the Salmon Kings are there, especially since they are an affiliate of the Canucks. It makes perfect sense to have a team back on the Island. The reason they left Victoria was because of low fan base & the rink was old. It didn't help that the team was terrible in the last couple seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team in Nanaimo for the 08-09 season.