PDA

View Full Version : Head Scout/Director of Player

Tinner
06-01-2007, 07:19 AM
now that Randy Hansch has resigned his position with the Blazers, does anyone think a position in Edmonton awaits him?

nivek_wahs
06-01-2007, 07:51 AM
From Kamloops Daily News...

Hansch to Oil Kings

By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor

Randy Hansch, the Kamloops Blazers' veteran director of player personnel, has left the WHL team.

Hansch handed in his resignation Wednesday and is to be named assistant general manager and director of player personnel with the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings.

"Itıs an opportunity to step up career-wise and to do it in my hometown," Hansch, 41, said Thursday.

Any compensation the Blazers would receive from the Oil Kings for Hansch was built into a deal made earlier this week in which Edmonton claimed centre Brenden Dowd as its expansion pick off the Kamloops roster.

Hansch has been a part of the Blazers organization since the trade deadline during the 1985-86 season. Thatıs when Hansch, a goaltender, was acquired by the Blazers from the Victoria Cougars.

He later would work for the Blazers as a part-time and then full-time scout before taking over as director of player personnel.

"I was there as a player and spent two years part-time and 13 years full-time," Hansch said. "There are many memories and itıs tough to single out any one.

"But just being part of the group . . . I was able to work with a lot of good people and I have a lot of good friendships because of it."

Hansch said he had to think about the move before deciding to accept the offer from Edmonton general manager Bob Green.

"There were other opportunities that I have passed on," Hansch said. "But I had to seriously look at this one. It's an opportunity to move up and it's in my hometown. Being the assistant general manager, it's more hands on . . . and it's starting a franchise from the ground up."

At the same time, Hansch admitted it's tough leaving the Blazers because, he said, "There are a lot of good kids coming in and it's going to be exciting." But, he added, "it's not like I'm leaving on bad terms. I will help with the transition."

Dean Clark, the Blazers' general manager and head coach, admitted to having "mixed feelings" over Hansch's departure.

"He's got a good eye and he's been with the team for 15 years," Clark said. "Having him here allowed me to do a lot of things worry free. That peace of mind is not easy to come by. "Now I've got to go out and find a guy. I don't know if there is anyone from within who can do it."

There is a humorous side to Hansch's move, too. While working for the Blazers, Hansch also scouted for the NHLıs Calgary Flames. The Oil Kings, however, are owned by the Edmonton Investors Group, which also owns the NHL's Edmonton Oilers.

"That will probably have to end," a chuckling Hansch said of his relationship with the Flames.