PDA

View Full Version : Deck to play for U of R

nivek_wahs
06-02-2007, 11:46 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=5e4126e1-abe7-41cc-a803-d861c1e193f9

Deck to become a Cougar

Tim Switzer, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, June 02, 2007

Former Regina Pats captain Kyle Deck may have had to clean out his locker following the Western Hockey League season, but the 20-year-old defenceman won't have to move far.

On Friday, University of Regina Cougars men's hockey coach Blaine Sautner announced that Deck had committed to the Cougars for the 2007-08 season.

"He's obviously a highly touted guy coming out of the WHL and he'll help our program," said Sautner. "He's one of those guys that could have played on any team in Canada so we're lucky he decided to come here."

Deck played two games with the Kamloops Blazers during the 2002-03 season before coming to the Pats. He played 14 games that season in Regina and had one goal and two assists before becoming a regular along the blueline the next year.

Over his four full seasons with the Pats, the Sedley product played in 252 regular-season games accumulating 24 goals, 79 assists and 298 penalty minutes.

Deck also appeared in 25 playoff games with the Pats where he had one goal and four assists to go with 28 penalty minutes.

After his final season with the Pats, Deck explored a few pro opportunities in North America and overseas, but when none of those came to fruition, the choice was obvious.

"It's nice and close to home and I can go home to the farm whenever I can," said Deck. "It's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to it."

He will also be reunited with several players he skated with on the Pats. During his time there, Deck played with Cougars forwards Brennan Chapman, Rylan Gebhart and Jordan McGillivray and goaltender Adam Ward.

"Jordy all year has been telling me that if I'm going to school that I'm supposed to come here," Deck said with a laugh.

Deck's presence will also go a long way toward helping the Cougars defensive corps following the loss of senior rearguards Scott Haggarty, Pat Baum and Jason Seerey.

The former Pat's presence may also help in future years for Sautner, who has concentrated on bring more WHL grads into the fold during his first two years with the program. The WHL gives graduating players a full-year scholarship for every year played in the league.

"We've been successful for a couple of years here keeping guys like (Caine) Pearpoint and McGillivray and guys that have played with the Pats and come back here," said Sautner. "We're developing a pretty good trend of getting Western League players. We really like to concentrate on getting our local guys here if we can."

Deck hasn't ruled out playing professionally somewhere next season, but, he added, it will have to be a very big opportunity for him to walk away from the U of R.

"I've got five years of school paid for so it's hard to turn that down," said Deck, who will enroll in the police studies program at the U of R. "There's always opportunities after school as well."

He already has a few classes under his belt at the U of R, taking one or two a semester over the last two years.

"School is going to be the No. 1 thing now and hockey will be No. 2," said Deck.

"It's going to be a change. I'll have to work hard and get my schooling done, but it's going to be good. You have to grow up."

And soon, Deck could be the No. 1 guy on the Cougars blueline.

"He'll be logging some ice time," said Sautner. "We have a quality group of guys on our backend and he fits right in there. He's got experience on the powerplay and penalty kill. He's played some important minutes in the Western Hockey League in all situations so he'll be doing that for us as well."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
06-03-2007, 11:34 PM
He'll be good for the Cougars. As far as hockey goes, he'll be a great addition to their team. Aside from that, though...he's a pretty high profile player. Having a guy like Kyle Deck play for them will help in recruiting other WHL grads. Better, more high profile players will make for a competitive team and bring in fans who maybe wouldn't have thought to go to the games. CIS hockey is similar to junior hockey...Kind of a WHL/SJHL hybrid (probably because that's where most of the players come from!) It's good hockey. It sounds like Sautner and the Cougars think pretty highly of Kyle...good for him, and good for them!