PDA

View Full Version : Keetley takes home two more awards at banquet

nivek_wahs
06-02-2007, 02:31 PM
http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_5933.php

Keetley takes home two more awards at banquet

By DARREN STEINKE
May 31, 2007, 23:31

Matt Keetley received his final two honours as a goaltender for the Medicine Hat Tigers Wednesday.
During the team’s awards banquet at the Medicine Hat Lodge, the graduating 21-year-old was named the team’s playoff MVP and also took home the player’s choice award.
“I played for pride,” said Keetley about the playoff MVP honours. “I played for Medicine Hat.
“To get this award, it is an honour. I am really excited that I got to take it home.”
The player’s choice award is given to the player the team voted the most times after each game as the hardest worker. The hardest worker after each game wore an orange hard hat with a flashing light on top.
“For the player’s choice award, that one kind of got me off guard,” said Keetley. “I am the guy that tries to base myself on hard work.
“There are so many guys that work just as hard as I do. That is what I try to do. I really tried to bring a winning attitude and try to give our guys a chance to win every night.”
During the regular season, Keetley had an outstanding year going 42-11-1 with a 2.19 goals against average, a .913 save percentage and six shutouts. In the WHL playoffs, he went 16-7 with a 2.18 goals against, a .916 save percentage and four shutouts and claimed league playoff MVP honours.
At the Memorial Cup tournament in Vancouver, Keetley had a 1.51 goals against average and a .949 save percentage. The Tigers fell in Sunday’s final 3-1 to the host Vancouver Giants.
The night’s festivities also allowed the 2006-07 Tigers to gather together for one last time before going their separate ways.
“It hasn’t hit me until I give them a hug goodbye,” said Keetley. “There are a lot of guys I have been around three years here.
“We have shared fun moments, and I am going to miss them. They are all my best friends and my brothers.
“It is one of those things where I am going to be really disappointed when the night comes to an end, and I have to say goodbye.”
Tigers captain Kris Russell also took home a few honours as he was named the team’s three star award winner, regular season MVP and took home the trophy as top scorer. Both Russell and overage left-winger Chris Stevens shared the trophy for scoring the most goals on the team, and Russell also shared best defenceman honours with David Schlemko.
Centre Darren Helm was named the hardest working player, feisty right-winger Derek Dorsett won the Gerard Moyer Memorial Team Leadership Award and centre Scott Wasden was named the top defensive forward.
Defenceman Trevor Glass was named the Tigers most improved player, rearguard Gord Baldwin claimed unsung hero honours and the top rookie was checking left-winger Colton Grant.
The community service award went to a pair of Hat products in forwards Kevin Undershute and Jerrid Sauer.

© Copyright by Medicine Hat News.com