PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft Discussion

Tipped Off
06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Silvertips prepare to lose a player

But it won't be Peter Mueller, who Everett plans on protecting despite the good chance he'll go pro.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Today the Western Hockey League's newest team, the Edmonton Oil Kings, stocks its roster for its inaugural season.

Meaning one of the Everett Silvertips will soon be an ex-Silvertip.

Everett is set to lose a player during today's expansion draft. Thus the Tips will bid farewell either to a player they've gotten to know well, or a player they hoped to know well in the future.

"It's hard, but that's the process," Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said. "We know with our depth we're probably going to end up losing somebody pretty decent, either a decent prospect or a decent roster player."

Edmonton will select one player from each of the other 21 teams' 50-player protected list to give itself a base for the upcoming season.

It's the second straight year the WHL franchises have had to contend with an expansion draft. Last year the Chilliwack Bruins got their crack, with the Bruins taking 1989-born right wing Matt Meropoulis from Everett. Meropoulis became one of Chilliwack's best defensive forwards and also scored the goal that clinched a playoff spot for the Bruins.

The format for the expansion draft is the same as last year. Each team can protect either 16 or 15 players. If a team protects 16 players, then three of them must be overagers for the upcoming season. A team protecting 15 players can choose players of any age. Players born in 1991 and 1992 are exempt. The protected lists must be submitted by 7:45 a.m., with the Oil Kings having until 2 p.m. to make their selections.

Soetaert said the Tips will go with the 16-player option, meaning three of Everett's eight 1987-born players are safe from the draft.

"It was a decision we had to make," Soetaert said about protecting three overagers instead of putting the full focus on younger players. "We know there's going to be a decent player available to them in every category. Veteran player, young player, middle-of-the-road player, there will be some good players available."

One of the dilemmas Everett faces is whether to protect its potential pros. Center Peter Mueller and defenseman Dane Crowley are both considered even-odds bets to play professionally next season - as a 20-year-old, Crowley will be able to play professionally in the minor leagues; as a 19-year-old, Mueller's only option is the NHL. That wasn't an issue last year as Everett had firm knowledge of whether its players were going to play pro or not.

However, Soetaert indicated leaving the potential pros, especially Mueller, exposed is too great a risk.

"I understand (Mueller) is close to signing an agreement, but that doesn't mean he's going to play in Phoenix next year," Soetaert said. "We assume he's going to, but we'll protect Peter Mueller in our draft."

Two teams have avoided the expansion draft thanks to previous deals. During May's bantam draft, Regina traded second- and third-round picks along with 16-year-old forward Brent Raedeke to Edmonton in exchange for a second-round pick and exemption from the expansion draft. Also, Kamloops avoided the expansion draft by sending 19-year-old center Brendan Dowd to Edmonton, as well as allowing its director of player personnel, Randy Hansch, to join the Oil Kings as their new assistant general manager.

Soetaert said he talked to Edmonton a couple times about making a deal to avoid the draft, but the teams were unable to come to an agreement.

Simpson pays a visit: Kent Simpson, Everett's first-round pick in this year's bantam draft, was in town Monday to pay his first visit to the Tips.

Simpson, a goaltender from Edmonton, Alberta, was able to visit because his father was in Seattle on business. He and his parents were given a tour of the facilities and were able to soak up a bit of Everett.

"It's a great town," Simpson said about his first impression. "It's small, but with lots of attitude - and support for the Silvertips, for sure."

And Soetaert liked what he saw about Simpson, too.

"Kent is very focused, a very committed young man," Soetaert said. "I think he'd like to start training camp tomorrow, seeing the building and the community. He's all about playing for the Everett Silvertips, so we're excited about that."

------------------------------------------------------------

PRess Release:
Posted : : 06/04/2007
Silvertips Prepare for Expansion Draft
Edmonton Oil Kings to Select Roster Tuesday, June 5
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett, WA - The new team in the WHL, Edmonton Oil Kings will be selecting their squad for the upcoming 2007-2008 season and the Silvertips are currently getting ready for Tuesday's expansion draft. All WHL teams will protect up to 16 players on their roster and the Oil Kings will be able to select the next best players from the remaining players from each team's roster. Last summer the Chilliwack Bruins held their expansion draft and selected forward Matt Meropoulis from the Silvertips. The Oil Kings are the 22nd team in the WHL and will begin play in the WHL next season. For expansion draft updates, log onto everettsilvertips.com or whl.ca.

REMEMBER THE SILVERTIPS EXPANSION DRAFT IN 2003?
Four years ago, the Silvertips held their expansion draft in June of 2003. Overall the Silvertips selected 21 players in the draft and made a few trades after the draft. Most of the players drafted in the 2003 expansion draft made major contributions in helping the Silvertips reach the WHL Final in their first season in the WHL. Here are the original selections and trades from the Silvertips 2003 Expansion Draft.

Bryan Nathe (D): Brandon Wheat Kings
Cameron Brodie (D): Calgary Hitmen (3rd Round 2003 WHL Bantam Draft)
Jeff Schmidt (LW): Kamloops Blazers
David Jacobson (C): Kelowna Rockets
Riley Armstrong (RW): Kootenay Ice
Stewart Thiessen (D): Lethbridge Hurricanes
Tyler Dietrich (LW): Medicine Hat Tigers
Devin Welsh (C): Moose Jaw Warriors
Scott Bowles (G): Portland Winter Hawks
Mark Kress (C): Prince Albert Raiders
Ryan Blatchford (D): Prince George Cougars
Curtis Billsten (RW): Red Deer Rebels
Matej Trojovsky (D): Regina Pats
John Dahl (LW): Traded from Saskatoon Blades in lieu of Expansion Selection
Matt Suderman (D): Traded from Saskatoon Blades in lieu of Expansion Selection
Marc Desloges (LW): Seattle Thunderbirds
Barry Horman (RW): Spokane Chiefs
Jeff Harvey (G): Traded from Swift Current Broncos in lieu of Expansion Selection
Jovan Matic (C): Traded from Swift Current Broncos in lieu of Expansion Selection
Cody Thoring (D): Tri-City Americans
Mitchell McGillvary (C): Vancouver Giants

Post Draft Trades:
Silvertips traded Matej Trojovsky and a 6th Round pick in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft to Swift Current for Mitch Love (D) and Torrie Wheat (RW).

Silvertips traded Scott Bowles to the Calgary Hitmen for Tyler Feakes (RW).

Tipped Off
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Instead of the typical "name your 15-16 protected players" thread....let's go a different way. Just pick the one player you think the Tips will lose (ok, I'll let you put two names down, if you are really wishy washy).

My pick(s) are (ok, I'm one of the wishy washy ones):

David Reekie - I don't think you can protect an overage goaltender who's only going to play 10-15 games.

or

Matt Ius - Two years ago in pre-season I thought this kid was the real deal (and not just because my teenage daughter had a crush on him and I have 50 pictures of him on my camera). I fully expected him to be a contributor last season, but during the game or two he got in, I wasn't impressed. Now I think the Tips have a lot of talent and he'll be left exposed. He's still young and I think a good fit for an expansion team looking for a player who has a touch of WHL experience and knows what to expect.

Tipped Off
06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Really some interesting reading in the whole Blog....
http://www.heraldnet.com/blog/blog.cfm?blogid=20

Monday, Jun 4, 2007, 8:36 p.m.

Expansion draft to claim a Tip

In tomorrow's paper I have an advance story for the expansion draft, from which the Edmonton Oil Kings will stock their roster for their inaugural season, along with a chart listing Everett's players with their probability of being exposed to the draft. That list is nothing concrete, more an educated guess. I thought I'd give a little reasoning behind those guesses here. The Tips will protect 16 players, including three overagers. Players born in 1991 and 1992 are exempt.

Probables

Dan Gendur, RW, 1987

Dane Crowley, D, 1987

Peter Mueller, C, 1988

Zach Hamill, C 1988

Jonathan Harty, D, 1988

Taylor Ellington, D, 1988

Graham Potuer, D, 1988

Leland Irving, G, 1988

Zack Dailey, C, 1989

Kyle Beach, LW, 1990

Jordan Mistelbacher, LW, 1990

Everett GM Doug Soetaert said the Tips will go ahead and protect 16, meaning three of the players have to be overagers. Before he said that I figured only Gendur was a lock to be protected among the 1987-born players. But if the Tips are protecting three, then Crowley will be one, despite the fact he might end up playing pro next season. The same applies for Mueller, who could be in the NHL, but Soetaert said he was going to protect him anyway. The rest of this list is obvious except perhaps Mistelbacher, who the Tips brass is really high on and who showed great promise when called up for the playoffs.

Possibles

Brennan Sonne, LW, 1987

David Reekie, G, 1987

Shane Harper, LW, 1989

Lukas Vartovnik, LW, 1989

Mike Alexander, D, 1989

Matt Ius, RW, 1990

Tyler Eskesen, LW, 1990

Tyler Hlookoff, D, 1990

Matt Strong, D, 1990

The third overage slot could go either way. I'm sure the Tips would have been happy to deal Reekie to Edmonton to avoid the draft, as there's no way the Tips burn an overage spot on a backup goalie, and Reekie would give the Oil Kings the type of solid veteran necessary to backstop an expansion team. However, the Tips may feel Reekie has more trade value than an expansion pick and thus deem him worthy of protection. If they leave Reekie exposed, Sonne is probably the choice for the third slot. He's not really any better than his Joes linemates (Jesse Smyke and Damir Alic), but he has some characteristics (alternate captain, willingness to fight, money in a shootout) that nose him ahead.

Of the rest, Ius is the likeliest bet given his youth and size. Harper has more offensive skill than one would normally be willing to leave exposed in an expansion draft, but in two seasons he has yet to turn that skill into production. Vartovnik played himself onto the possibles list with his improved play in the last month of the season, otherwise he might have been considered replacable through the import draft. Alexander is further along as a player than Hlookoff or Strong, but might be considered more expendable since he's a smallish defenseman and a year older. Eskesen is a late bloomer (never drafted) and has value as a left-handed shot as the Tips are short of lefty forwards.

Unlikely

Ondrej Fiala, LW, 1987

Jesse Smyke, RW, 1987

Damir Alic, C, 1987

Brandon Campos, RW, 1987

Carter Smith, RW, 1988

Jesse Burt, RW, 1989

Fiala won't be back as he'll play pro somewhere. Smyke, Alic and Campos are probably longshots to make Everett next season as overagers even if they're back. Smith was little more than a throw-in in the Zetariuk-Calla deal, and Burt was rarely used last season.

Three other players who weren't a part of the season-ending roster should be mentioned: 1989-born goaltender Shayne Barrie, 1990-born forward Ty Skauge and 1990-born defenseman Chris de la Lande. I doubt any of the three will be protected, but it's not out of the question that they could be taken by Edmonton.

Tipped Off
06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Oil Kings Select Hlookoff in Expansion Draft
Silvertips 2005 Draft Pick Headed to Edmonton
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett, WA - The newest team in the WHL, the Edmonton Oil Kings, selected Silvertips defenseman Tyler Hlookoff in the 2007 WHL Expansion Draft on Tuesday afternoon. Overall the Oil Kings selected 19 players in this year's expansion draft. Edmonton selected players from all of the WHL teams with the exception of the Kamloops Blazers and the Regina Pats which made pre-draft trades with the Oil Kings.

Hlookoff appeared in 9 games and added one assist with the Silvertips during the 2006-2007 regular season. The Castlegar, BC native played the majority of his season with the Quesnel Millionaires of the BCHL. Hlookoff tallied 7 assists in 28 games for the Millionaires during the 2006-2007 regular season campaign. The Everett Silvertips selected Tyler in the 7th round (130th overall) in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft.

"I want to thank Tyler for his hard work and contribution with the Silvertips organization," mentions Everett Silvertips VP/General Manager, Doug Soetaert. "Tyler is heading to a great situation in Edmonton and we wish him the best."

ihlemic10
06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Its seems to be the consenus among other Tips faithful but I was relieved to find it was Hlookoff drafted. Not to say he is a bad kid or anything, but I am a believer that this team will have good chemistry. Not to say that will be turned into skill but it seems the team should be able to gel next season. Or atleast thats what my gut thinks and Hlookoff does not effect the chemistry that much.